Long Term Test in Motorcyclist, and we are mentioned! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Long Term Test in Motorcyclist, and we are mentioned!

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet (did a search and didn't find anything), but in the newest issue of Motorcyclist there is a Long Term Test introduction for a '10 Versys, and the forum is mentioned in the write up. I don't have mine with me so I don't know the page number, but it is the issue with the MOTY on the cover (BMW S1000RR). Check it out if you haven't already, and hopefully they will like it as much as we do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
any link to soft copy as we don't get it here.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 AM

I'll be checking that out at lunch at Barnes and Noble. That's awesome. That mag seems to take a good view of Kawasaki, and the Versys always does well.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 01:40 AM

Yes I have that very issue in my house right now. The article is on page 80. The V won the 2008 MOTY, so the reviewer is looking to add only a few things to the bike (mostly for long distance commuting i.e. storage.) The reviewer addresses the seat as not being very comfortable after 90 mins of riding, and will probably be looking into a new seat and a bigger windscreen for long distance riding. I am looking forward to the review because I am seriously looking into purchasing the V but I am not sure if it will be able to handle the storage I need once I graduate from college. I will be a teacher, so I will need to haul a lot of stuff probably.

"I drank what?!?!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--Socrates
2003 Honda Rebel
and El Cheapo Chino 150cc Scooter
(sold the scooter
)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 AM

It was a nice write up. And two pages later there's a nice "Smart Money" article on the 2006 to 2009 650R.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcgee View Post
I am looking forward to the review because I am seriously looking into purchasing the V but I am not sure if it will be able to handle the storage I need once I graduate from college. I will be a teacher, so I will need to haul a lot of stuff probably.
Storage needs as in luggage capacity? It has the same options available that fit 99% of the sport-touring and touring bikes that don't have built-in (like a Goldwing) luggage - Givi, Shad, H-B, etc., etc. If that luggage capacity doesn't meet your needs, no motorcycle will.

Do a search for luggage here or on the other Versys forums to see pics of Versys with different luggage setups.

Gustavo

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM

We donīt get that magazine down here. Would one of you guys be kind enough to scan those two pages and send us an uploaded file link (rapidshare, mediafire, etc) ?

thks in advance
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Really the only thing I would worry about would be trying to transport a laptop and a few books..possibly a small briefcase. I figured a 45ish liter topbox would work. Anything needing a larger storage area I would just ride in the cage...ugh. I do not think it is legal to copy and send printed material BUT you can find the article (it is not posted yet) on their website www.motorcyclistonline.com look under the mc garage section at the top of the bar. they have all kinds of good stuff on their site.

"I drank what?!?!"
--Socrates
2003 Honda Rebel
(sold the scooter
)

Last edited by scootermcgee; 08-03-2010 at 02:03 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Motorcyclist Mag. To Feature Versys In Long Term Test

The current edition (September 2010) of Motorcyclist magazine includes the initial article on their long term test of the 2010 Versys. The article is on page 80 under the section entitled "MC Garage - Doin' Time". They state their goal is to err on the cheap by outfitting the V for long distance travel with the emnphasis being on comfort and cargo capacity. Should be interesting to follow.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Rik

Indeed! Is Catterson penning that test? He seems like a pretty sharp guy
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Not sure who is penning it other than the guy (not Catterson) who has been assigned the bike for the long term test. Don't recall his name off-hand.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 AM

Marty Estes is the ringleader listed in the article. If memory serves, he was under the dirt-riding gear review a few issues back. I do like the idea he is not going to try and off-road the bike. I am looking forward to the test myself because it sounds like he is going to try and do with the V what I am considering it for: commuting and getting some decent storage on board. Plus I like the idea he is going to go the "cheap" route. I just wish the V had a different color than black for 2010. I really like the way the green looks on this bike. Back in 2008 they gave the V the MOTY award, so Mr. Estes is already thinking he will not have to do much with the bike.

"I drank what?!?!"
--Socrates
2003 Honda Rebel
(sold the scooter
)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM

I'll second the merge.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrose View Post
I'll second the merge.

Ok...

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcgee View Post
Really the only thing I would worry about would be trying to transport a laptop and a few books..possibly a small briefcase. I figured a 45ish liter topbox would work. Anything needing a larger storage area I would just ride in the cage...ugh. I do not think it is legal to copy and send printed material BUT you can find the article (it is not posted yet) on their website www.motorcyclistonline.com look under the mc garage section at the top of the bar. they have all kinds of good stuff on their site.
ok, will wait for them to post on mc garage link on site, but I think just the article scan would not be a problem. I posted the versys 2010 part number listing which some moneywishmaker ebay seller is asking 1,99 for a copy, and nobody complained so far
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Hey guys, it's me.

Thanks for the comments. I haven't been on here for awhile but am working on my next few rounds of updates for Motorcyclist right now and as always, this place is a great resource. 6500 miles down and I love the bike. Those who are looking for the article won't have to wait much longer. We post stories on our website www.motorcyclistonline.com fairly quickly after an issue goes on-sale. It should be there relatively soon. That first installment is not much more than an introduction. There will probably be about 4 total...every 3 months. We have quite a few long-term bikes that we are living with and reporting on.

Versys is a great bike by the way! I rode it from LA to Salt Lake City for the Miller Motorsports Park WSBK race and it worked great.

I'll try to touch base here fairly often.

Best,

Marty
Publisher, Motorcyclist
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard Marty!! We're glad you like the Versys. Obviously, most of us do too. Heh heh.

Make yourself at home!!

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2yamyk View Post
Hey guys, it's me.

Thanks for the comments. I haven't been on here for awhile but am working on my next few rounds of updates for Motorcyclist right now and as always, this place is a great resource. 6500 miles down and I love the bike. Those who are looking for the article won't have to wait much longer. We post stories on our website www.motorcyclistonline.com fairly quickly after an issue goes on-sale. It should be there relatively soon. That first installment is not much more than an introduction. There will probably be about 4 total...every 3 months. We have quite a few long-term bikes that we are living with and reporting on.

Versys is a great bike by the way! I rode it from LA to Salt Lake City for the Miller Motorsports Park WSBK race and it worked great.

I'll try to touch base here fairly often.

Best,

Marty
Publisher, Motorcyclist
Hi Marty

great! will be looking forward for your mc garage doin time versys article!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 AM

Welcome Marty and thanks for the update!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode