Tall Riders - What Have You Done? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tall Riders - What Have You Done?

As the title suggests, tall riders tell us your hight and what you have done to your V so it works better for you?

I'm 6'4", just took delivery of my V on Thursday and had planned to spend the weekend fiddling with it to get it just right (and doing LOTS of test riding). Unfortunately some family commitments got in the way and I didn't get a chance to do anything (a weekend with the in-laws is even less enjoyable when you have a new toy at home you could be playing with!!!)

First thing I need to get sorted is the screen - wind noise and buffeting is terrible at its highest setting. I don't like the look of the larger touring screens so I will drop the original to the lowest setting to try and get my head in some clean air, or remove it completely if this doesn't work.

Second thing on the list is to get the bars in a good position. At the moment I am getting pain in my shoulders/mid back so I think I need to get the bar a little higher. Anyone else experience this - what was your solution?

T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
5'10" not that tall I suppose ,but Speedy Foot Lower Pegs is a must for 6' guys.

i felt a world of difference with Speedy Lowering for Foot Pegs.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
5'10" not that tall I suppose ,but Speedy Foot Lower Pegs is a must for 6' guys.

i felt a world of difference with Speedy Lowering for Foot Pegs.

Before I got the bike I was planning on getting these but I have found the standard peg position pretty comfy so far (I came from a little 250 so anything would be an improvement). I'm yet to do a ride longer than 40 mins, so maybe after next weekend when I get a big ride done I might think differently.

T.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Putting in some extra mileage on the bike will give a better direction on which way to get the bike set up to your liking.

and enjoy your ride.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM

Hey TBass try flipping the stock screen upside down A lot of members here found that to be an improvement.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Hey TBass try flipping the stock screen upside down A lot of members here found that to be an improvement.
I just flipped mine upside down this weekend and it seems to help, plus, it looks pretty cool! BTW, 6'2", pegs seem to be in a pretty good spot, so I doubt I will mess with them right now. I just want a different seat!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 AM

If you need to raise the bars you could go with some rox risers, they are fully adjustable, and they also make some with A rubber damper for A few dollars more which should cut down on vibrations. I am thinking about buying A set with the dampers just to cut down on the buzziness.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 AM

I put on a Baldwin tall seat.

I'm 6'5" and mostly legs, so it gives me much needed leg room. I like the screen and bars fine. The screen does a good job of keeping windblast off my torso while keeping my helmet in clean air.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:36 AM
djg

I got the footpeg lowering kit, and have a Baldwin tall seat on order. For now, I have an Alaskan Sheepskin with some sleeping bag pad foam underneath, tapered towards the back, 1" to zero. It helps a lot with the nut crush phenomenon. After the new seat arrives, I will see about the bars.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 AM

i'm 6" and found that a corbin seat and speedys peg lowering kit helped a lot. The seat moved my butt back a few inches and the pegs help the knees. try the pegs first, they are cheaper.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Lowering Pegs

In addition to lowering the pegs, the lower pegs allow your knees to tuck tighter into the gas tank. For me that gave a whole knew "feel" to the machine. At 6'3" I also had to add about 1.5" of foam to the seat. As far as the windshield situation, I'm still fiddling with that. Most recently I added the Madstadd bracket, I'll let you know how that works out.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 02:39 PM

6'2"+
Added Givi windshield, lowered pegs, raised front seat latch, added material to front of seat.

Vulcan 1700 Classic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:58 PM

6'3"

Tall windscreen, new seat, peg lowers, highway pegs.

See here (if my computer's on)

http://www.tontodonato.com/Versys_Farkles.htm
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Wow, lots of different approaches to similar problems, so it looks like I will have plenty of things to play with soon. I have been pleasently surprised at how comfy the seat is, although my frank and beans copped a fair pounding from the last bike so I might be a little desensitised. For now I think I need to get some more miles up and see how my body adjusts to the new riding position before I make any major changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post

I had heard this before however I have a 2010 V and the screen mounts completely differently so this is not an option. Got a chance to drop it to the lowest setting this morning and it made a bit of a difference. Will remove it completely tomorrow and see what thats like.

T.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 AM

I'm 6'5", 36" inseam.

Here's what I have done to my mostly-commuter bike:

Footpeg lowering kit, CalSci Large windshield on a Madstad (adjustable) bracket, gas in the tank.
Oh, and for the longer days (500+ miles) an Alaska sheep skin pad.

Last edited by Pretbek; 08-02-2010 at 08:44 AM.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 AM

I'm 6'2" and installed the Anti-Vibe Rox Risers. The stock position was just too far forward for me. I couldn't sit with a curve in my spine unless my arms were full forward with elbows locked. Now I can sit with good posture and have my arms relaxed. The risers cut down on handlebar buzz and prevent my barkbuster hand guards from touching the givi windscreen. Altogether I killed 3 birds with one farkle and I'm happy with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Did you adjust your shifter after you lowered the footpegs? I just lowered mine, I am 5'10 and like it on the right but feel the shifter is too far away now. How can I adjust the shifter?
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRash View Post
Did you adjust your shifter after you lowered the footpegs? I just lowered mine, I am 5'10 and like it on the right but feel the shifter is too far away now. How can I adjust the shifter?
There is a 2-3 inch silver metal bar that connects the shifter to the tranny. It is threaded on both ends.
Loosen the nuts that lock it in place.
Spin the bar (I forget which direction) and the shifter will lower or rise.
Tighten up the nuts, and go for a test ride.

I had to lower my shifter when I lowered my pegs, and then had to adjust again when I switched from sneakers to riding boots.

Sorry on no pics. My bike is locked up in my fathers trailer for the winter.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:00 PM

6'3" - Lowered the footpegs and bought a baldwin tall seat - Perfection!

Happy Trails Panniers
Baldwin Tall Seat
Motowerk Peg Lower
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Tom Tom Rider2 GPS
Motowerk Tom Tom Rider2 Mount
Edrive Hugger
FAMSA Tank Bag
Pro-Taper Bars
Acerbis - Dual Road Handguards
Z1000 Mirrors
Scala Rider2
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM

madstad bracket
drilled extra holes in Mikes shield
High position, but with a LOT of angle
OEM screen also on the lower portion of the bracket for chest buffeting.

Works almost perfect

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode