Air Hawk users - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Air Hawk users

My Azz is killing me on the V seat. This has got to change. Enter: Air Hawk.

Who has one? Does it work ? Which one did you buy ? (medium cruiser, large cruiser, what ?)

I'm considering one rather than sending my seat to Russell. Help steepen my learning curve, please.
Thanx !

Coop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM

I've used one for the past 6 years and the only time I ride the V without it is an errand trip. I can do 500 plus miles with it and 200 without it. I believe it is the medium cruiser size. Experiment with the air as you will put in too much to begin with.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcooper View Post
My Azz is killing me on the V seat. This has got to change. Enter: Air Hawk.

Who has one? Does it work ? Which one did you buy ? (medium cruiser, large cruiser, what ?)

I'm considering one rather than sending my seat to Russell. Help steepen my learning curve, please.
Thanx !

Coop

IT works, put one on my 2003 Speed triple which has the most thinnly padded stock seat ever created. It made it so I can ride all day on her. It does however take some getting used to as it ... well .. you feel at first like you are disconnected from the seat. But that passes. Also less air is better, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Really too much in one doesn't do any good. Would I buy another.. YES

AMA EAA STN

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 05:04 PM
NYG

I borrowed one for a ride yesterday; as it was borrowed, I can't say exactly which one it was, but I found it very comfortable. I did about 150 miles with it followed by thirty without it and can say I was much more comfortable with it. I will echo what others have mentioned--by the time I had it fine-tuned it had hardly any air in it, but it did the trick.

They aren't cheap, but they are quite a bit cheaper than a Corbin I guess.

Mike
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I've used one for the past 6 years and the only time I ride the V without it is an errand trip. I can do 500 plus miles with it and 200 without it. I believe it is the medium cruiser size. Experiment with the air as you will put in too much to begin with.
^^^^^^

Perfectly put.

As well
I use it on my Gen 2 FZ1 for long trips and that's over a Sargent.
My son uses it for long trips on his M50 Suzuki.
My wife uses it on her S50 Suzuki.

Its medium cruiser size. Fits all bikes above great.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 PM

I just got one. Medium cruiser size 14"x14".
For me it made a big differance in comfort.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat north View Post
^^^^^^

l
I use it on my Gen 2 FZ1
My son uses it for long trips
My wife uses it on her S50 Suzuki.

Its medium cruiser size. Fits all bikes above great.
Must get crowded on that thing.....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM

I won't take a trip without one. I think I have a large crusier, but not sure, It was a lot cheaper then a new seat, a lot cheaper, considering how many seats I would need.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Being 5'9" I cannot put both feet flat at a standstill. Am wondering if it would put me "past the limit" on seat height. Any ideas from you folks?
Thanks, Scott
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbikes View Post
Being 5'9" I cannot put both feet flat at a standstill. Am wondering if it would put me "past the limit" on seat height. Any ideas from you folks?
Thanks, Scott
I am about your height and had the same problem with flat footing. I did 2 set up to the V. 1 was to lower the seat by a local cushion shop and second got speedy lowering kit-complete set and now I am riding my V like a 6'

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Airhawk may be a problem.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 PM

I got the cruiser small 18"x 12". Almost a custom fit to the low gel seat. I'm 5'7" no issues with the added height. Seat comes up about half an inch. Before the airhawk my butt was done after about an hour and a half without a break. With it I run out of gas before my butt needs a break. Got it under $140 new. Don't remember the site.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 PM

I've used them on a Harley Electra Glide including on a 1500 in 24 hour ride on top of a Mustang Seat. Great.

I've used them on a V-Strom, but could never get comfortable in the V seating position.

I didn't put on on my Versys yet. The seat was so bad, I had it redone.

I found a good price in the past at:

http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/e...=Airhawk_Seats
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM

I used one and hated it! seemed like it accentuated the sliding down into the tank thing that the Vs has going on. Sounds like I probably had too much air in it.
I put on the sheep skin seat pad that Aerostich sells, recycled from my last bike. It really helps with the slide issue, but doesn't really make the seat itself more comfortable. I guess more breathable in the heat.

I found the Airhawk on the road in Montana while on a road trip and loaned it to a buddy that was continuing on to the East Coast. He loved it but had been riding his GS with a hemorrhoid-ring from the medical supply.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 AM

Thanks everyone for all the input....really appreciate it. I'll probably give Airhawk a try. If it doesn't work out on the V I have A ZRX which I could use it on.
Scott
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Postscript:
Based on the mostly positive recommendations from this thread, I ordered one. I ordered last Sunday from Iron Pony in Columbus, OH. It was on my doorstep on Tuesday afternoon. THAT was fast service.

After "strapping it on" I gave it a quick test ride. VERY comfortable: but the real test will come on my next long ride (whenever that will be..). As mentioned previously it does have a little bit of the "disconnected" feel between bike and rider. It almost feels like my first.....uh....experience (yeah that's the word) on my girlfriend's water bed. But I got used to THAT real fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode