Freeway lane choice - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Freeway lane choice

What lane do you ride in?
If you choose the fast lane... you are forced to speed, sometimes as much as 20mph over.

If you choose the middle lane... you have to worry about lane changers from both sides.

If you choose the slow lane... you have to pass the slow cars, and worry about cars merging onto the freeway.

The freeway can be such a choir sometimes, it ruins the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 AM

A couple rules I live by which trump lane choice....

Stay out of blind spots at just about all costs.

Choose the lane that will make you most visible given the current surroundings. Regardless of fast or slow lane.

That being said.. I stay in the slow lane unless Im coming up on an exit/entrance ramp or need to get around someone. Its easy to crack the throttle and merge into the fast lane to get past what you need to get past.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:18 AM

Recently I've had an excursion on the freeway for the first time. (No freeways in my country).
And I'm convinced in one thing: Motorcycles and freeways do not go together.

I understand if you have no other options or blasting from point A to B but other then that motorcycle shouldn't be on the freeway.
It defeats the purpose in my opinion and it is bloody dangerous.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Not a big problem here,especially where I live in the south Island does not have a lot of multi lanes so biggest danger is on coming traffic, bikes do not do well in a head on and tourist vans parked on blind corners in the more scenic hill roads taking photos.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Not a big problem here,especially where I live in the south Island does not have a lot of multi lanes so biggest danger is on coming traffic, bikes do not do well in a head on and tourist vans parked on blind corners in the more scenic hill roads taking photos.
And with all of the amazing scenery on the south island there are plenty of people that aren't paying attention to the road or other vehicles.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM

As Opie said I usually try to stay away from other cars and be as visible as possible. Stay out of blind spots. I will ride in whatever lane let's me do that. If I am going very far I usually ride in the left lane.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 AM

Ride where it is safest which is usually the the right hand track of the left lane (fast lane}. Here you have the most visibility and nobody can come over from your left. If cars come up on you and you don't want to speed up, simply move to the center lane and let them by. You get used to freeways though they are intimidating at first. Where ear plugs and stay alert. California freeways.... that's a whole 'nother conversation.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:12 AM

I use the E-way all the time...for work commute... but never during rush hour.
I-94 here in metro Detroit is pretty civilized; Yes it's true! and Michigan cagers using said same assault are surprizingly ...competent drivers. ( unlike I-275 on Detroit's west side where everyone thinks there Mario Andretti on CRACK!!!! (average speed there is 90mph).

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Hi Versys View Post
[Freeway lane choice]
If you choose the fast lane...
If you choose the middle lane...
If you choose the slow lane...
None of the above.

Side & Back Roads ~~~ Period.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:53 AM

I really don't understand this question.

Unless you are referring to congested commute times where all lanes are full of traffic, you ride/drive in the rightmost lane available unless you are passing. It's the law (keep right except to pass), it's good practice and it's courteous to other road users who may want to ride/drive faster than you are without turning into a rolling road block (regardless of what the speed limit is relative to yours).

I realize that the US is unique in that the law actually allows passing on the right in many (all? Not sure about that) states. But passing on the right is more dangerous because the blind spot of the vehicle you are passing is much, much larger on the right and despite the fact that the driver may be aware s/he is going slower than the speed of traffic (OK, that's a stretch, usually they are in the left lane because they are clueless about the rest of traffic around them), they don't always check well enough before deciding to move to the right. It's much safer for everybody if slower traffic keeps to the right and allows faster traffic to pass on the left.

End of rant.

Gustavo

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM

+1 to that Gustavo.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Hi Versys View Post
If you choose the fast lane... you are forced to speed, sometimes as much as 20mph over.
If you choose the middle lane... you have to worry about lane changers from both sides.
If you choose the slow lane... you have to pass the slow cars, and worry about cars merging onto the freeway.
The middle and right hand lanes are the most dangerous. The right hand lane being the worst. The speeders from the left do the right lane 'dive' and cross over the middle lane in a rush to get off the freeway.

I have adopted the right hand side of the left hand lane. Usually over the speed limit by 5-10 mph. When a butt sniffing cage comes up I get over, let them pass, and then return to the RHS of the LHL. I feel the safest there and I communte 40 miles each day on I-275 in Cincinnati during morning and evening rush hour. You learn survival skills or die.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Freeway systems in large metropolitan areas like Denver can barely support traffic using all the lanes. "stay right except to pass" signs don't exist and are unpractical. Hence the O.P
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 PM

I get in the fast lane as quickly as possible. The "fast" lane around here means you might actually do the speed limit. Most of the freeways I am on also have a good size emergency area to the left of the fast lane so that gives me a fairly safe option if somebody tries to merge into me. I am never in the middle lane.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
I use the E-way all the time...for work commute... but never during rush hour.
I-94 here in metro Detroit is pretty civilized; Yes it's true! and Michigan cagers using said same assault are surprizingly ...competent drivers. ( unlike I-275 on Detroit's west side where everyone thinks there Mario Andretti on CRACK!!!! (average speed there is 90mph).
Yeah, but you're up in the sticks (comparatively). What and when's your commute? If it's not during rush, you only have to deal with retirees and soccer moms. Try the the Reuther, I-696, eastbound from Southfield to Mound at 8 AM (feeds directly off I-275) or westbound at 5PM if you want some fun. It's my particular MI favorite. Or for laughs try Southfield at Grand River dodging drunks in old Caddys and Buicks when you need to practice your "Emergency Evasion" techniques.

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 07-31-2010 at 01:17 PM.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 PM

I live 15 miles outside of Washington D.C. I'm on the freeway every day to and from work, right now in the middle of a metrorail construction project
that stretches from 3 miles from my home literally to my jobs front door. I find traveling in the right hand of the far left lane is the safest place to be. You have a good escape route to the left shoulder without the worry of people getting off and merging if you happen to need to get away. There's less movement in and out of that lane and here it's marked HOV so generally less traffic in the lane itself. I stay out of blind spots and make sure I'm constantly giving myself the room I need to escape and keep a close eye on my mirrors.

Mike
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM

Sometimes I go right, sometimes I go left. But rarely do I hang in the middle.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Unless you are referring to congested commute times where all lanes are full of traffic, you ride/drive in the rightmost lane available unless you are passing. It's the law (keep right except to pass), it's good practice and it's courteous to other road users who may want to ride/drive faster than you are without turning into a rolling road block (regardless of what the speed limit is relative to yours).
Gustavo
Not every state requires this by law. OH is the only one I've been through that I recall; ND, MN, IA, WI, SD, and IL don't have anything about it on the books as far as I know. Didn't see anything posted in KY, WV, VA, IN, or NC either on my last trip east, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Everything else stands; if you're slow, move right!

My personal habits: stay right in light traffic, moving left for troublesome entrance ramps (those with high volume or little to no acceleration lane); otherwise the right of the left lane, moving over to let faster traffic pass. And staying out of blind spots. That really can't be overemphasized.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 PM

Georgia actually has a similar law o the books, but it is never enforced. There was a legislator trying to pass a similar law in GA (not sure why), but I haven't heard anymore about it. Not sure why we need another one if they don't enforce the one we have. Maybe the one he was trying to pass just dealt with the left lane.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 PM

It has always been the law in SC. but they don't inforce. Always the law in GA. but just gave it a set fine [July 1st] so they are starting to ticket. NC. will give you a ticket for riding in left lane and now for passing on right. Don't ask me how I know!

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode