A Good Deal For Tour Bikes? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A Good Deal For Tour Bikes?

Just bought (4) 2009 green Versys for my Utah motorcycle tour business. I got them for $5269 OTD! I was able to avoid state sales tax because of the exemption for rental companies. Two questions to those of you with more experience with this motorcycle: is that a pretty fair deal? And what's your honest opinion about using them with the general public as tour bikes through Southern Utah? They will be for street use only. Until now, I've been a dirt bike guy and was just a little let-down with the power (thrill-factor) of the Versys compared to my 450s. On the other hand, I was impressed at the smoothness of the power and the handling.

Chris
Utah Motorcycle Adventures
http://www.utahmotoadventures.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:56 PM

A steal-deal.
Fantastic for your purpose.
Get them broke in a bit and then run them at 5-8K rpms.
Very easy to ride, forgiving.
I paid a LOT more for mine.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM

I've seen better deals but never seen 4 of them together.

I mostly ride MX bikes also but have been impressed with the V. Break it in and then do a 0-100 run and you will be impressed. You can lug them anywhere but when you hit 6-7k hang on.

Sounds like you have a great place to ride. I went through SE Utah when I picked up my bike and can't wait to get back there.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Not sure about the deal but sure you would offer discount price for overseas versys forum members on your tour.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

For someone that is going to rent them out I would be aware of the fact that it is a tall bike and people will drop them, so you will probably want some kind of crash bars. Also they are NOT a dirt bike. So don't rent them to folks taking them off road.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Hey Moto, I am in Utah as well, Sandy.

Love my V, too tall for most women but I' six one so not a problem for me.

Good suggestion on crash bars, Lone. They are tall bikes, kinda tippy at low speed until you find the balance point. You may wanna consider lowering the seat on a couple, even for taller riders, as they will feel more comfortable on them for short term/rental use.

We live in an awesome state for riding! I can give an unbiased verification that either of the tours offered by Moto would be sensational riding. Southern Utah in the fall is amazing, and the Alpine ride would be breathtaking mountain scenery.

I love living here, for riding, rock climbing, and skiing!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor

Last edited by buffamazon; 07-30-2010 at 02:43 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:29 PM

I'm in Utah up north in Pleasant View. If you bought in Utah that sounds like a great deal. I think the really low prices are in areas hit a little harder by the economy. I wish I could have avoided that state sales tax myself when I picked up a green in April for about $500 more than you paid.

Your website looks awesome and your rides will be spectacular. I think the Versys is perfectly suited and has plenty of power and fun, but agree with the thoughts about a lowered option. My wife is 5' 2" and loves to ride, but would never jump on the Versys. I'd also make sure to fix the cowl buzz for a more pleasant guest rider experience.

Post some picts of those green V's together.

- Zac
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your input and advice.
And yes, big discounts to all Versys owners - you guys already know how to handle them!

Chris

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

And if you're thinking about lowering them, Speedy has a great kit! He's a forum member & many of us have his products on our bikes...

http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 PM

is the versys the only bike you offer? if not, i wouldn't lower any, folks can pick a different machine. unpopular opinion, but bikes are usually lowered for newbies, which you probably would not want on your bikes anyway. if you're expect them to be used for touring, your money would be better spent upgrading the saddles.

edit: you might consider a preemptive wrenching session for the fairing buzz issue.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 07-30-2010 at 08:14 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 PM

+1 on the lowering kit... your clients will love you for it.

As a former Southern Utah resident (3 years outside of Kanab), I wish the Versys had been around when I lived there. For the combination of roads in the area (including some of the FS roads), it's about perfect.

You got some smokin' deals... enjoy!

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 PM

I spent the 4th weekend riding out of Kanab, UT. Met a group from another forum. Rode up from Phoenix, where I rented a Ninja 650R. Couldn't find a Versys to rent except in Los Angeles. There is some great riding out there. The road to the North Rim is great fun. Not much traffic and great fast sweepers. We also rode up to Cedar Breaks. Too many tar snakes and cops, but some nice scenery. Good luck with your business. You will fine the Versys very low maintenance and sturdy. The height will definitely be intimedating for some people.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 AM

Good luck with what sounds like an awesome business!

As a former motocross racer I can tell you, put an Arrow silencer or full system on and your Vs will feel (and sound!) a little more like your 450s!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmoto View Post
Until now, I've been a dirt bike guy and was just a little let-down with the power (thrill-factor) of the Versys compared to my 450s
I must apologize for that "newbie" statement. I'm still in the break-in process and until the last couple of short rides, I didn't get up into the speeds and the RPMs that really make this motorcycle shine! What a hoot - I've been away from streetbikes for too long. Oh, and this morning I took a connecting dirt road for about 10 miles (just to see how it handles-I don't plan on using them off-road). This bike ate it up and wanted more! Cool machines.

Chris

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Glad you liked the V. Break In and do enjoy the ride.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 AM

I think it's kind of funny that you bought 4 of them for your tour business and then asked if it was a good tour bike...

I wouldn't want to tour on a versys unless it had a throttle lock, bigger windscreen, taller gearing, some kind of seat mod, and of course the buzzing issue resolved.

But it would be a fun bike to rent for the day if you lived in an area with lots of curves.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Rumbo75, my initial choices were off-road bikes (that would narrow my market too much and not take advantage of the popularity of the national parks), dual sport bikes (just couldn't get excited about the KLR's old design, even though they have an amazing reputation and a strong following), and full-on tourers. What can I say?- when I saw the Versys, I fell in love and thought people would have a lot of fun on them. I plan on doing the mods you mentioned and luckily I do live in an area with lots of twisties. We'll see how it goes!

Chris

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Man I wanna come visit you guys!! I'd LOVE to ride your area on a Versys!!! Lots of luck to you guys!!!

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM

id put on 44 or 43 tooth rear sprokets so the bikes wouldnt be so quick. then id take aluminum drag feelers off the ends of the footpegs. if your shoe laces are to long they can get caught up in those things and you cant get your feet down.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 PM
njd

I think it's a great deal otd.

They'll make great tour bikes, but maybe you should lower at least one of them. Do you have other bikes on your fleet that are lower? The stock seat height may be too high for the average person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode