• 2 Post By cjcintucson
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Gigitt
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 2 Post By Smiley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Duct Tape for camping

Found this small duct tape pack at ACE Hardware. 5 Yards of tape in a pocket sized pack. No sticky edges. Perfect for motorcycle camping. Thought I'd pass it along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duct Tape.JPG (109.0 KB, 64 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 PM

I like Gorilla tape. A convenient way to store it is to wrap it about a Bic pen barrel. You can chuck up the barrel in an battery electric drill and pull off what you need then cut the barrel off to the width of the tape.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I like Gorilla tape. A convenient way to store it is to wrap it about a Bic pen barrel. You can chuck up the barrel in an battery electric drill and pull off what you need then cut the barrel off to the width of the tape.
GOOD advice...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Hockins View Post
Found this small duct tape pack at ACE Hardware. 5 Yards of tape in a pocket sized pack. No sticky edges. Perfect for motorcycle camping. Thought I'd pass it along.
Good call Bert. I found a pack of Gorillia tape like this I have been carrying on the bike -( got it at Amazon, I think). I have done the wrap around the pen thing as well.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:31 PM

Garage
Duct tape and zip ties can keep a trip going that might otherwise be spoiled.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Shouldn't this be: duct tape, zip ties and WD40 will keep a trip going?
onewizard and kballowe like this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Shouldn't this be: duct tape, zip ties and WD40 will keep a trip going?
My Daughter is a outdoor educator, rafting, canoeing, bushwalking.
She uses a Nalgene water bottle, same thing, wrap the bottle, pull off as needed, always handy, use it every day.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 09:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Sounds like a kidnappers supply list.
onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
On the weekends FarRide I took Zip ties... my mate says what for, and I say it can attach parts back to bikes really easy...

So at the FarRide check point another Versys 650 rider pulls in, he hit a kangaroo in the early morning. The roo glanced off the right side pannier (Quick release mounts and Pelican cases)... ripped the 2 front frame quick release bolts from the frame... his fix 4 zip ties per hole and it is rock solid.

Zip ties are light and easy stuffed under the seat.
onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:16 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i carry zip ties and gorilla tape personally (i think there is some 3m electric tape in my trunk box as well)
onewizard likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 AM

Garage
Remember film cans? I use two of them, heavily duct taped end to end with the open (lid) ends accessible. There is room left over to wrap electrical tape around a can too. I store fuses, items that need to be kept dry and other small bits like spare well nuts in the cans. Lots of easily accessible tape. Two birds, one stone etc. Keep under seat.
onewizard and silviefox like this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 AM

Don't forget blue shop towels. But, get the good ones. Lately, I've seen some cheap copies. Thinner, more like white paper towels only blue.

You know the heavy blue ones make the very best TP. Just take some off the roll and fold them flat.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 AM

all stuff i've done for years for backpacking
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 AM

I carry three foot lengths of 1/2 inch wide velcro cut to fit reuseable, cheap, strong, light, easy on, off. I always have a pocket knife.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:56 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if you wanna save $5,
I remember when i was fire fighting some of the line jumpers would use a credit card to wrap tape around

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
On the weekends FarRide I took Zip ties... my mate says what for, and I say it can attach parts back to bikes really easy...

So at the FarRide check point another Versys 650 rider pulls in, he hit a kangaroo in the early morning. The roo glanced off the right side pannier (Quick release mounts and Pelican cases)... ripped the 2 front frame quick release bolts from the frame... his fix 4 zip ties per hole and it is rock solid.

Zip ties are light and easy stuffed under the seat.
Yep, That was me!
Accelerated when I saw the 'roo start from the edge of the Right lane. Blighter hit my right boot, then the pannier. Bit of a wriggle (mates following said it was more than that!), but stayed upright & kept going. Glanced down and saw the pannier was still in place, didn't realise the fasteners had gone west.
Pulled up at Coolah for the zip-tie repair. At home on Sunday bent the frame back into place, and ordered another pair of fasteners from Perth - arrived today!
Sorry I couldn't speak longer, bit hard with over 100 riders there!

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:59 PM

Garage
Tactical Adventure Medical Preparedness Outdoors Necessity (T.A.M.P.O.N.)

As with duct tape, the tampon, or Tactical Adventure Medical Preparedness Outdoors Necessity (T.A.M.P.O.N.) is a near necessity for every man when camping or venturing into the wilderness....

Yes, That?s a Tampon in My Mouth: The Swiss Army Survival Tampon — 10 Survival Uses | The Art of Manliness

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TigerBill View Post
Yep, That was me!
Accelerated when I saw the 'roo start from the edge of the Right lane. Blighter hit my right boot, then the pannier. Bit of a wriggle (mates following said it was more than that!), but stayed upright & kept going. Glanced down and saw the pannier was still in place, didn't realise the fasteners had gone west.
Pulled up at Coolah for the zip-tie repair. At home on Sunday bent the frame back into place, and ordered another pair of fasteners from Perth - arrived today!
Sorry I couldn't speak longer, bit hard with over 100 riders there!
That's OK 93TigerBill. I thought i recognized that login somewhere else when I saw the riders list.

Collah thats close to Duneedo - gee you went outback!

Main thing is you arrived safely.

Was an awesome ride.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
That's OK 93TigerBill. I thought i recognized that login somewhere else when I saw the riders list.
Coolah that's close to Dunedoo - gee you went outback!
Main thing is you arrived safely.
Was an awesome ride.
Corrected a few typos for those watching from the sidelines....
The 'roo incident was on Vinegaroy Rd - well known for Skippys!!

Needed to do a big loop to get the k's up. Home via Oxley Hwy, Donut at PMQ, then Newcastle. Mates on an S10 and a KTM SA - guess who was slowest through the twisties.....!

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:20 PM

Speaking of the tampon thing, I used to stick a maxi pad in the forehead area of my helmet to keep the sweat from soaking my goggles during long motos. non scented of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode