View From The Back - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
View From The Back

I asked my wife to write down some of her thoughts on the Versys. I'd like to suggest all the other riders who carry passengers to have them do the same. It would be neat to hear the view from the back.

Here is what she wrote:
View From The Back

I began riding motorcycles when my husband did, as a passenger on his Kawasaki 440. We didn't have kids then, and we rode as often as we wanted, wearing whatever we wanted. I loved the feeling of sitting on the back, holding on to him, wind blowing in my hair wearing flip flops, shorts and a tank top. I didn't give much thought to safety gear, other than my helmet which was not full-face, or to comfort. The bike was what it was and I had never experienced anything else.

When he gained more experience and moved on to the Triumph Thunderbird, I had gained more experience as a passenger. We had a Corbin seat and backrest, and I got a modular helmet. I wore jeans and tennis shoes and a jacket.

While we owned the Triumph, we had our first child. Riding time for me was limited after that. (I'm a nice wife, though, and made sure he got out often!) When I was pregnant with our 2nd and 3rd children (twins) my husband called with the dream deal - the Versys. He'd been drooling over the Versys for a long time, and found the perfect deal. I was hesitant, for I was not a believer in the Versys in the beginning. I loved the Triumph and that style of bike. The V seemed too sporty, too crotch-rocket-ish, and too tall. I was only half way into my pregnancy, looking at a long time of not being able to ride so it just didn't make sense to hang on to the Triumph for me; so he sold it and got the V. Impending doom hanging over his head (2 year old plus twins!), he rode as much and often as he could those first few months. He was in love.

By the time I got to ride, his enthusiasm about the bike had gotten to me a little and I didn't think it was so bad. The first ride, I was pleasantly surprised. The bike is tall, which, is great for him - he's 6'5" - but I didn't think would be good for me - I'm 5'2". Because of the height of the bike, the seat position, how tall he is, and how short I am it actually works out perfectly! I fit right behind him comfortably, and my helmet comes up to about the middle of his. The hand holds for the passenger felt a bit awkward to me at first, but I have gotten used to them and really enjoy the position of them. I have gotten used to hanging on there, and bracing myself appropriately when we're stopping. It's even nice to hang on to them while also sliding a bit of my hand under my arse to provide some relief on a longer stretch of the ride. The seat is not large, but neither is my rear end. It's surprisingly comfortable, but after about 45 min. to an hour my tail bone starts to hurt and I need to get off the bike for a few. We don't have a back rest, but we do have a trunk. I try not to lean too much on that, though, because we aren't sure just how much it would take if being used for a backrest. There is more room than I thought there would be on the bike, so I don't feel like I have to lean on it. The trunk is really handy - especially for the woman passenger, you can fit a bunch of stuff in it! The bike rides smooth, and is a lot of fun - much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

We have also gotten wise about the way we ride since getting the Versys. I have an Olympia Airglide II jacket, Icon Super Duty II boots and Icon 29er gloves and a full-face helmet. While shopping for the boots and jacket, I have to admit, I was not jazzed. I told my husband - these are practical, and I get that, but they are not cool. After using them a few times, I am glad to have them. The gloves make holding on to the hand holds so much easier and more comfortable. The jacket armor actually fits properly - I was worried being so short that the armor would not match up to my elbows, etc., but it does. And the boots are much more comfortable and feel much more secure and safer than tennis shoes, and certainly flip flops! It took me awhile to get used to the full-face helmet, but I do like it now. The airflow in the jacket and gloves is awesome -- we tested it in 100+ degree heat and once we got going, I felt great. And suited all up, I have to say, I think it does look pretty cool.

If you ride with a regular passenger, their comfort and safety is an important consideration. If you want that regular passenger to share your passion about the bike and understand your desire to be out riding it while she stays home with your three little ones, the Versys is not a bad bike to have. : )

Mrs. Mawson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 PM

Excellent, enjoyed the read, happy for your successful riding evolution.

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM

Very nice.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great write up Mrs Mawson, bit concerned early on about your riding gear but you got it sorted now. All the best guys with riding and raising the family.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 AM

My experience of the Versys has been surprisingly good. I never thought I would be on the back of a motorcycle or blogging about it. I am a petite woman of 5 feet with boots on and 97 pds with wet clothes on. I made my husband put a truck on the back before I would even consider getting on the versus. When I went on it for the first time I was hanging on to my husband's waist for dear life hoping to make it home alive to my children. Our hour ride was a bit much for this first timer. The second time I tried holding onto the handles at the back of the bike which made me feel like I was really holding onto something. Today I comfortable with my hands resting on my legs not really holding on unless I felt I needed to. I am now comfortable on the bike for an hour. I can sit comfortable in the back with the sidebags on. I am now looking forward to many more adventures with my husband as long as they are not too long.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. Made Mrs. Mawson feel good to read these to her.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 PM

Great review!

One question...no riding pants? Mesh pants are so much more comfortable and cooler than jeans.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Great review!

One question...no riding pants? Mesh pants are so much more comfortable and cooler than jeans.
I know... any suggestions for shorter women? She's only 5'2...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Great write-up Mrs. M!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 PM

My wife is also pettite size. Check out http://www.revitusa.com. It's the only brand I know with sizes for the vertically challenged.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 PM

My wife just bought a pair of medium Scorpion Haley pants which fit her great. She is 5' 2" and a size six. The Scorpion Savannah pants are the same pant, but are textile. The leather Haley pants can be cut to length if necessary, but are a fairly good fit already.

- Zac
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. Will be checking those out soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode