Gen 1 fairing bracing - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Gen 1 fairing bracing

So as I found in my windshield installation http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...indscreen.html the factory mount for the front fairing leaves a lot to be desired. Putting a big screen led to the whole fairing, gages and all, flexing a lot more than I was comfortable with. I promised myself that when I had a couple days that I knew I wouldn't be riding I'd take it all apart and weld some braces into it. I had big plans of this and that, adding metal here, etc. Well, since we had a big snowstorm the other day I decided to get to it.
Took off all the plastic and tried to figure out what the problem really was. Mostly turned out to be just the design isn't meant to carry any torque. This is what the stock mount looks like, the little arm off to the side attaches to the frame on the right side, and the little dingus in the middle bottom bolts to the steering neck. That's the only attachment points for the whole fairing and windshield. Ugh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mount.jpg (39.4 KB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

So the problems are many with this design. It uses a single attachment point at the bottom to support all the weight, and there's a lot of stuff packed into the small area. not much room for bracing within the structure. So I had a lucky thought and figured 'why not outside the structure?"
I had a couple old chair backs my wife had me cut off of some stools, which were exactly the right shape and size to scab onto the stock brace without making it look like ass. I added one long brace on the left side, running from the upper section of the stock mount back to a bolt on the frame. Immediately became much stiffer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leftbackpainted.jpg (55.0 KB, 50 views)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Then I grabbed some more metal and ran a brace from that down to the bottom left side. This new triangle made the whole thing rock solid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6685.jpg (47.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg leftpainted.jpg (67.7 KB, 45 views)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Then for good measure I added a bottom brace to the right side existing brace, again making a triangle. Triangle=strong, H=weak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rightpainted.jpg (47.7 KB, 42 views)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I considered adding another upper brace on the right side, but sometimes overkill is just overkill. All of this fits behind the stock plastic, none is particularly visible, nothing touches or rubs on anything, and it's still 100% removable. I claim success. Now there's almost no movement in the windscreen even if a lot of force is used, and the little that there is is clearly coming from the rubber mounting of the screen itself. Total cash outlay: 0$.
Oh yeah, all welding was done on the bike with spare welding gloves acting as my welding blanket. I could have made the welds prettier if I took it off, but like I said, there's a lot going on inside that front end and it wasn't worth the hassle.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

I assume you electrically welded it...? Were you at all concerned about transients affecting the computor?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Yup, used my medium mig. I was pretty much not worried at all about the computer. I won't go so far as to claim 'old wives tale' but I've never seen somebody actually prove that welding damaged their computer. To begin with, auto electronics are pretty highly hardened and motorcycle electronics even more so. Next, although it does make a pretty arc the mig uses DC current so no big danger of stray AC. Finally, common sense good welding practice was employed, having the ground as close to the weld point as possible, clean bare metal for the ground, etc. That's not to say that I didn't have just the teeniest bit of relief when I fired the bike up afterwards for a functions check.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode