Pan American Highway - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pan American Highway

I am looking for a bike that will get me from Anchorage Alaska to Ushuaia Argentina. I was leaning heavily towards the Versys because I can not afford a BMW 650 GS and I don't like the look of the v-strom. However, a kawi dealership crushed my hopes by telling me the Versys just isn't the bike for the trip. It's 17" tires just can't meat my dual purpose needs and modding the bike to fit a larger tire would mean making it much more difficult to repair on the road in central and south america. He said I'd have suspension, engine guard, and countless other issues to overcome in order to make the Versys ready for a trip like that. He suggested I look harder at the v-strom and I'd probably only need some minor suspension changes and an engine guard and it'd be ready to go. I'd like some feedback!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ighlight=south

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=9907

Read the above links here and you will know what the versys is all about.

&
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Mr. Gimmick, welcome! Make you choice on what you want and after becoming well informed. An old site that I used to frequent a lot is: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

ANY bike will go ANYWHERE! The site I listed above talks about people who have done RTW on anything from fully dressed Harleys, to 50cc scooters. The question is how much maintenance/repair you are willing to do and what type of roads you are going on. The BMW/KLR/KTMs are all highly recommended for true go anywhere adventure bikes, though by reading the threads above I believe you will see that even the Versys can do it! Cheers!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM

the dealer is right, as is Mr Milstead. you can make it work, if you must. you'll just have to throw money at it and work around the shortcomings. but for the job you have described, KLR > wee-strom > versys. you just have to decide whether you want form or function.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dual purpose, dual sport, pan american highway, versys off-road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode