Over lubing the chain - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Over lubing the chain

I have always had either shaft/belt driven bikes or chain driven bikes that were really small. The latter were oiled in the old school way of lubing with engine oil drops. So spraying a bike chain is new to me.

I lubed the cahin on the versys for the first time, let the bike sit over night drove it for 5 minutes in the morning to see if anything splatters on the tire, etc. Ended up spending 30 minutes to clear the mess which was on several parts of the bike (rim, tire, etc). I lubed it after another 500 kms, this time using very conservative amount of spraying but had similar results.

Am I supposed to wipe the chain right after spraying it. AM I doing something wrong. I am using the chain lube from Castrol.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Try the Dupont teflon spray, let dry and ride. Minimal splattering on the wheel. I get mine at Lowe's.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I use the dupont teflon spay lube as well as can't recall the maker but something chain wax no dripping . put the bike on a wheel stand place cardboard underneath and have some cardboard to place behind the chain .spray that area of the chain rotate tire and repeat till chain is all sprayed. so the cardboard catches all the overspray.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I wipe the chain clean before lubing it, than lightly spray chain lube on both inner sides of the chain where it can soak in by centrifugal force, while spinning the wheel by hand. Apply less oil on the outside of chain links, then let it penetrate and thicken... You may like to try a better stickier chain lube. My Maxima synthetic Chain Guard works great, offers excellent protection and no mess... Some like using Dupont's Teflon dry chain lube.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...products_id=29
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I use the dupont teflon spay lube as well as can't recall the maker but something chain wax no dripping . put the bike on a wheel stand place cardboard underneath and have some cardboard to place behind the chain .spray that area of the chain rotate tire and repeat till chain is all sprayed. so the cardboard catches all the overspray.
I do exactly that minus Teflon as its not available in Canada. So no splatters when lubing. I let the bike sit for the night. And yet there are splatters while I am riding the bike. Not a suitable product that I am using?

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM

i'm sure i will get alot of grief for this, but i don't lube my chain very often. it is a sealed ring chain so the lube is already inside it. i spray it every thousand miles or 3. probably it will last a few thousand miles less but chains and sprckets just aren't that expensive. it would make m ore difference if you were using it in harsh conditions, like cruising through central and south america. IMO for day to day cruising in the backroads of maryland and pa, the occaisional spray down with chainwax works fine. never had a problem.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I wipe the chain clean before lubing it, than lightly spray chain lube on both inner sides of the chain where it can soak in by centrifugal force, while spinning the wheel by hand. Apply less oil on the outside of chain links, then let it penetrate and thicken... You may like to try a better stickier chain lube. My Maxima synthetic Chain Guard works great, offers excellent protection and no mess... Some like using Dupont's Teflon dry chain lube.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...products_id=29
Thanks a bunch for the link Invader.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 PM

Were you using that small white Castrol chain lube from Canadian Tire or Wal Mart? It is pretty cheap and inconsistant stuff, sometimes looks like used engine oil...

-WebBikeWorld 2008 Motorcycle Chain Lube Comparison-

"Did we find any that we like better than DuPont Teflon chain lube? No. But there is one winner in this bunch -- not because it makes a chain last any longer than any of the others -- because we'll never know the answer to that -- but because it's relatively easy to find (in local motorcycle shops); it has a strong, focused spray; it's clear; it dries relatively quickly; it has probably the least amount of overspray (i.e., waste) of any of the motorcycle chain lubes shown here...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...lubes-2008.htm

Last edited by invader; 07-29-2010 at 03:26 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz2012 View Post
Thanks a bunch for the link Invader.
You can have your motorcycle dealer get it from Motovan...
Maxima synthetic Chain Guard 591 ml (20 oz): Motovan # 353-0926 for $10.99, 162 ml (8 oz): Motovan # 353-0917 for $7.99.

http://www.motovan.com/common/catalog/2010moto_en.html

Last edited by invader; 07-28-2010 at 02:57 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Over lubed by Auto Chain Lube system.My Mistake of setting on high dose.

Just be careful with automatic Chain lube systems.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

oh boy! Mine wasn't even 5% of that...that's a tone of lube on your bike. I hope you didn't skid on that tire.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

I was just on 3 drops of Chain lube per KM and see the amount of oil on the tire and muffler. I was going out and the chain was a bit dry so set it to 3drops and went along till the back was funny on corners. Stop and found this. was a slow ride back home. It was my mistake as I usually set to 1 drop if the chain is dry.

Most of the time I will spray oil the chain before ride and the Oiler system is only for long tours where it comes handy.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
+1. Exactly what I do!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil View Post
i'm sure i will get alot of grief for this, but i don't lube my chain very often. it is a sealed ring chain so the lube is already inside it. i spray it every thousand miles or 3. probably it will last a few thousand miles less but chains and sprckets just aren't that expensive. it would make m ore difference if you were using it in harsh conditions, like cruising through central and south america. IMO for day to day cruising in the backroads of maryland and pa, the occaisional spray down with chainwax works fine. never had a problem.
Me too, I wipe all of the excess off the chain, spinning the wheel, holding a rag tight on the chain. External lube is not getting inside the links anyway.

from Wiki:
Construction

The o-ring chain is named for the rubber o-rings built into the metal rollers of every link in this particular type of metal chain. Chain manufacturers began to include this feature in the 1980s as a way to improve lubrication to the links of power transmission chains, a service that is vitally important to extending the working life of chain. The o-rings fit into the gap between the rollers and the links that surround each roller and hold the entire chain together. These rubber fixtures form a barrier that holds factory applied lubricating grease inside of the rollers while still applying sufficient lubrication to the chain body. Further, the rubber o-rings prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering the inside of the chain linkages, where such particles would otherwise cause significant wear.
[edit] Applications

O-ring chains are most notably used in motorcycles, one of the most demanding applications for a metal chain. High RPM and heavy loads require bulky chains, but such engineering increases the effect of friction compared to lighter chains. So lubrication plays a vital role here, but the high RPM also make it very difficult to keep lubrication inside and on the chain. Additionally, motorcycle chains are exposed to a large volume of contaminants and particles and must be protected. O-rings, as described above, fit this application perfectly.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz2012 View Post
I do exactly that minus Teflon as its not available in Canada. So no splatters when lubing. I let the bike sit for the night. And yet there are splatters while I am riding the bike. Not a suitable product that I am using?
Where in Canada are you? If it's near the VT I could smuggle in some Teflon lube.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
Where in Canada are you? If it's near the VT I could smuggle in some Teflon lube.
Thanks for the kind gesture. I am near the border myself and am going to grap Teflon from Lowe's on my next trip.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 AM

lube the chain when it is hot. let sit for 5-15 minutes, wipe of excess. Done!

lubing a cold chain is a waste of time, and lube. it doesn't penetrate and slings off as soon as the bike starts moving.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Great advice by all.
Using cheap SAE 80W-90 gear oil with the scottoiler. All is good.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Great advice by all.
Using cheap SAE 80W-90 gear oil with the scottoiler. All is good.
I too have used 80W-90 gear oil to lubricate my chain (but not with anything like a scottoiler - just on a rear stand). Does the use of the scottoiler somehow eliminate the oily mess thrown off of the chain?

Perhaps I will get used to it, but in the meantime I am using up some old cans of spray lubes and WD-40. Then I will most likely go back to the 80W-90. Unfortunately I do not get near a Lowe's very often (and then it is with three kids in tow and I usually do not have time to go looking for a can of the teflon stuff - and I do not want to pay more than the can costs to ship it from amazon.com).
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM

An excellent internationally available option for Dupont's Teflon Chain Saver is Finish Line's Dry Teflon Lube chain lubricant with synthetic oils. It contains no carcinogenic or hazardous air polluting ingredients, such as naphta used in Dupont's. Available in 2oz or 4oz squeeze bottle, 8oz or 12oz aerosol spray, and in 32oz. quart or 1 gallon jug.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...-plus-lube.htm

Finish Line's other specialized chain lubes are very interesting as well: http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...es.htm#ceramic

http://theconsumerlink.com/FinishLine/list/lubricant/11

Last edited by invader; 07-28-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode