Almost a wheelie? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Almost a wheelie?

Hey all -

Pulled out today and hit it a bit harder than usual, popped into second gear and felt the front get really light. Probably shifting at about 8k-9k rpm range. Was it my imagination? I have never done a wheelie, and do not know how...OK, I admit it...a wheelie virgin. To any wheelie experts out there, how do you do it? .... and can you pull the front tire off the ground with hard accelleration on the V?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:52 PM

Best I've done with just the throttle is unload the front suspension most of the way; full throttle at somewhere around 7k in 2nd gear. Don't have the skills to keep myself upright on one wheel, so haven't messed around with "proper" wheelie techniques.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM

It's easy to wheelie the V in 1st gear. Just twist the throttle and it will do it for ya. At least mine does...

If you get scared - remember you can always flip it back down in a heartbeat by using the rear brake.

I've never been able to get it in to a prope wheelie from 2nd or higher gear - just a little lift of the wheel. I'm hoping my planned 14t down-gearing will change that

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 PM

It happened to me the other night by accident as I left a stoplight in 1st gear. I got on it pretty good and did not realize the wheel was off the ground until it came back down. Thank God I did not turn the handlebars!

2010 Versys - 2007 Honda Goldwing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 PM

I have stood the V up on end twice since the Two Bros. can was installed. I think the sound is throwing off my mental shift points. A good clutch drop is a sure wheelie.... I do not condone this though.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM

Oh yeah, you definately can lift the front wheel with an aggressive shift to second, no popping the clutch. It has happened to me when I was trying to run down a crazy cage driver that flipped me off. Take it to about 8k in first and shift to second without letting off the throttle. I am sure you will find the front wheel lifting without trying.

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 07-27-2010 at 04:44 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 PM

Another wheelie-virgin here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Take it to about 8k and shift to second without letting off the throttle.
Whuh, really? Doesn't that make you hit the rev limiter pretty hard? If you are already up at 8k, then pull in the clutch without letting off the throttle...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Whuh, really? Doesn't that make you hit the rev limiter pretty hard? If you are already up at 8k, then pull in the clutch without letting off the throttle...
Weeeeeell you have to be snappy about it. Super-fast full-thottle shifting was a classic among the dirtbikers when I was a young man
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM

I too preformed a wheelie by accident. Like others I was at a stop light but I was on an incline. I wanted to quickly get in front of the car next to me so I wouldn't have to worry about merging ahead when the road turned into a single lane. Well I got on the throttle pretty good and the next thing I knew the gas tank was moving up to my chest and head. I immediately got off the throttle and the tank went back down. It was then I realized I must has just popped a wheelie.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Another wheelie-virgin here.

No, I barely used the clutch. Not recommended, just aggressive riding, like I said. I save any intentional wheelie riding for the dirt.

My Album:
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Garage
First gear wheelies are real easy. On my way home I have a 2 lane traffic circle I must pass through. As soon as I am through the left turning portion of the circle, and flick it to the right I get on the throttle hard. The front end hovers just off the ground as I am heading off to the right.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Couple of big ones off of stops, just rev and dump. She'll go up instantly. Did some small roll-on power wheelies in first.
More common are shifting into second while shifting fast. Get to 8 or 9k and pull the clutch, shift and dump before getting down to 7k. She'll get a couple of inches off the ground. Not much, just kind of like you see in a GP race when someone is trying hard.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 AM

First gear on stock suspention just takes a little flick of the throttle, like this:

Lets say your cruising at 4k rmp then you close the throttle abruptly and then wack it back open. Front end will come up semi quick, kinda risky because the lift wont' be the same between each try.

Clutch, I usualy don't clutch in first because it woudl come up violently. One finger on clutch, throttle on and a little slip and up it goes. I havn't got my 2nd gear wheelie down in seccond but i'm getting better.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
STRONG suggestion if you're a "wheely-virgin": ALWAYS have your foot ready to apply rear brake to keep from looping over backwards if the wheely gets away from you!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:14 PM

been caught out a few time when pulling away hard and the other day pulling around a bend hard on the gas hit second and wow backed of sharpish

great little fun thing only had mine a few weeks it rocks
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
been caught out a few time when pulling away hard and the other day pulling around a bend hard on the gas hit second and wow backed of sharpish

great little fun thing only had mine a few weeks it rocks

Yep, I love the 2nd gear wheelie right out of a turn. You can feel the bike wanting to pop up. And I usually give in & gas it...

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:00 AM

this was in the turn
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:36 AM

Sometimes (don't tell my sweetie) I will lift the front wheel 6 or so inches just to make a point, as I take off from a light.
But to actually do a proper wheelie......No Thank-you!
When there's a need....a need for speed; i shift my weight forward as i TAKE-OFF!!! zooooooooom>>>>>>>>>>>>> ON TWO WHEELS, THANK-YOU VERY MUCH!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 AM

Second Gear wheelies are easier than first gear. In first, role on the throttle and the front wheel easily gets airborne but the throttle is very sensitive to control. Once you are comfortable doing this in first, try using the clutch in second gear to launch the front wheel. While riding somewhere around 4000rpm you simply slip the clutch to around 9000ish rpm and the front wheel will launch like it does in first. Once you are comfortable you will notice that it is actually easier, the launch is much more gradual and the throttle is a lot less sensitive and easier to control, allowing you to ride on the back wheel longer with much more confidence and control. There are several good demos on You Tube. Ride safe and always keep both wheels on the ground on public roads or it could cost you your licence?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 AM

This is a good example of what not to do.......

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode