N GA Sunday Morning Nature Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
N GA Sunday Morning Nature Ride

Last Sunday I went for an early ride in the N GA mountains. Beautiful morning and very little traffic. I thought I would see if the Richard Russell Scenic Highway had opened up and it has!!! A couple of miles up 180 I came around a turn corner to find a fawn standing in the shadows in the middle of my lane. After some frantic manuvers to avoid the wildlife I was able to slow down enough for it to get out of the road. Hooves don't have much traction on pavement. That thing was running 100 miles an hour and not going anywhere.

I continued up 180 to Turner's Corner and made a right onto 19. I made the left onto GA 75 towards Helen. There was no traffic until I caught up with a small cruiser and car. Once I found a assing zone I began a pass on both of them, but a car came over the hill beyond the passing zone. Turns out the car was a local LEO. I could see his brake lights come on as he passed by, but he never showed up behind me. I would imagine that he had me for passing on double yellow until he noticed that I had been in a passing lane.

I then made the left onto 348 (Richard Russell) and began a great run down 348. The pavement is in pretty good shape with a number of patched areas. A few miles into the run I was taking a fast right only to find a bear in my lane. As I was on the inside when I started a panic stop the bear headed across the road right into my path. Again I was lucky to get slowed down before collecting the bear. That was my first bear sighting and I hope the last in the road.

This make me think that my decision to buy a track bike and doing track days to ride fast is a good one.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like more fun than six flags amusement park. the one thing that always has me on edge when riding twisty country roads are deer,cows are other large animals that tend to appear at any moment. knew a guy that hit a cow once man was he busted up had his gear on but quite an impact.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-27-2010 at 06:58 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
The closest thing to a bear on a road here would be a tourist van parked on a corner on a blind bend but sounds like you had a adrenalin filled ride my friend.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 AM

I love riding that area of N GA, you are lucky to live so close.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM

My old stomping grounds. Saw a young cub on Richard B once. I've had my fair share of tickets in the Suches area............I'd say you were lucky.

My favorite piece of road is from Turner's corner to the top of Neels gap. The double lanes and banked curves going up are engineering perfection.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwiley View Post
My favorite piece of road is from Turner's corner to the top of Neels gap. The double lanes and banked curves going up are engineering perfection.
And these days cop perfection unfortunately. Sounds like a fun and semi-eventful ride my friend. I'll be back on the track too...hopefully by next year.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

19 is a fun stretch of rode. It is nice having the extra space and legal places to pass cars. There has been a more enforcement in the last year.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode