Throttle lock or Crampbuster? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Throttle lock or Crampbuster?

Looking for opinions on cruise control devices.

I see everything from $225 for Kaoko system to $10 for a Crampbuster palm rest.

Any recommendations on which work best? (I have a 2015 Versys 1K.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:49 PM

I used a Vista Cruise ( Sound Off Recreational, Inc. - Cruise Control Products ) for about four years with my SV650. It was relatively inexpensive (less than $50) and served its purpose (i.e. giving your wrist a bit of a break during long rides).

The issues I experienced were that, unless you were cruising along on nice, level roads, you had to make fairly frequent adjustments to ensure that you maintained your desired speed.

Also, the Vista cruise takes up about half an inch of your grip (hand space), so your hand is moved over a bit. If you have big mitts, your hand might rest on the edge of your grip, or might be cramped if you have hand guards installed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:54 PM

Garage
Motorcycle throttle lock

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 PM

I actually use both. Not at the same time. I normally keep the plastic Go Cruise in the "up" position and the cramp buster on my left grip. If I am going on a longer trip, I move the cramp buster to the throttle hand. You have to be a bit cautious with throttle locks. I try to use the Go Cruise only on long straight, flat sections with controlled access.

The cramp buster helps on tours but can be a bit annoying on two lane twisty roads. I seem less precise on the throttle than I'd like to be when I use the cramp buster.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I originally bought the Omni-Cruise Like the Go-Cruise but better :P

It works really well, easy to use, and moves from bike to bike.

I currently use a Kaoko - because I picked up a new one for $50

I really like the Kaoko.
It is permanently on bike.
I don't have to remove it when parking.
Still easy to use - and will fit the Versys 650 and 1000 if you upgrade.

Cramp buster are cheap and has it's use when slabbing it - BUT BE WARNED!!!
It can be very dangerous in corners - if you hit hole or bumps in the road, you could accidentally accelerate!!!
There have been a few accidents attributed from these being on bikes and riders coming off with WTF moments.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 AM

Garage
I use a 29 cent mini bungee wrapped between the grip & housing

hate the cramp buster

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 AM

I would recommend the Kaoko system. It works as advertised, unobtrusive, simple. Imho, spend the money, do it right.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 AM

i use this one

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Cruise-2whe.../dp/B00ERXG4TM

I like that the tension is adjustable (adjustable for different grip sizes but lets you squeeze the grip more or less)

Last edited by kohburn; 02-02-2016 at 07:12 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy83 View Post
I used a Vista Cruise ( Sound Off Recreational, Inc. - Cruise Control Products ) for about four years with my SV650. It was relatively inexpensive (less than $50) and served its purpose (i.e. giving your wrist a bit of a break during long rides).

The issues I experienced were that, unless you were cruising along on nice, level roads, you had to make fairly frequent adjustments to ensure that you maintained your desired speed.

Also, the Vista cruise takes up about half an inch of your grip (hand space), so your hand is moved over a bit. If you have big mitts, your hand might rest on the edge of your grip, or might be cramped if you have hand guards installed.
Have the vista also and quite agree with all your comments but would add that I had to move the brake reservoir a little over because the horizontal flange that goes from the vista lock itself to the handlebar bracket was to long and couldn't be fitted otherwise, but really 1/4" max ...

LOP
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Hockins View Post
... to $10 for a Crampbuster palm rest.

Any recommendations on which work best? (I have a 2015 Versys 1K.)
I recommend AGAINST the "Crampbuster", as I personally know of two or three crashes caused by, or worsened by, one of them. I use a VistaCruise Universal to give my hand a 'break'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
It can be very dangerous in corners - if you hit hole or bumps in the road, you could accidentally accelerate!!!
There have been a few accidents attributed from these being on bikes and riders coming off with WTF moments.
This is what I'm referring to....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I originally bought the Omni-Cruise Like the Go-Cruise but better :P

It works really well, easy to use, and moves from bike to bike.

I currently use a Kaoko - because I picked up a new one for $50

I really like the Kaoko.
It is permanently on bike.
I don't have to remove it when parking.
Still easy to use - and will fit the Versys 650 and 1000 if you upgrade.

Why would you have to remove the Go Cruise when parking? I have used mine for a long time and that has never crossed my mind.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 AM

crambusters are cheap and it is a pretty good solution if your trip is pretty much flat straight and short. if you intended for some twisties, do ensure that you reposition it away from your palm beforehand. the only grouse with crampbuster is that once you take your hand off the throttle, it is no longer engaged.

Go-cruise is a slightly better solution, it will hold the throttle for you while you take off your hands for some resting. However again, only good for straights and always disengage before playing into the twisties. the only grouse is that the grip on the throttle will degrade over time.

there are other types of throttle locks, either by way of the expensive ready made ones or self-made stretch cords tied ibeside the throttle sleeve, whichever you use, the key of a throttle lock is just to keep your throttle engaged, and they all work as intended.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
Why would you have to remove the Go Cruise when parking? I have used mine for a long time and that has never crossed my mind.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
There are some people that like to steal things...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
There are some people that like to steal things...
I've had mine on my bike for about 2 years - daily ridden - never garaged - I don't thinking anyone around here would even know what it was.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 PM

I understand that there are better quality locks than Go Cruise, but the plastic thing does the job when needed (only now and then). Okay, I admit it. I'm cheap.

Absolutely shocked, shocked! there could be petty thievery in Australia.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 PM
BKP

Garage
I don't know why the Cramp-buster is even in this conversation... it's not a cruise control... It's does exactly what it's name indicates, and shifts throttle pressure from one position to another. I've been using it for years and years on sport bikes, adventures, standards, and it doesn't reduce throttle control by one iota, in the twisties or otherwise, because you naturally revert to throttling with a normal closed fist when necessary. If it gets in the way of transitioning, then you have it sitting too high on the handle (or your throttle cable needs tightening).

I had the Kaoko on my last bike, and rarely engaged it... didn't like (or trust) its tensioning system of spinning a collar. I know it was an unfounded concern, but I felt at times it inhibited throttling down quickly when necessary. Certainly not worth the premium price (to me).

My $.02.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode