Reasonable price? 2008 Red w/Givi Bags - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Reasonable price? 2008 Red w/Givi Bags

Hey everyone! I've been trolling the forum for awhile, and think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a Versys. I want an all-around bike, I've had sport bikes before but always wanted something that I could take on long trips, without getting a monster of a machine that would be unpleasant in town. The Versys seems like a perfect fit, and also "fits" - I'm 6'2, 205, and I've never been more comfortable in the saddle.

To the point of my post - I'm looking to buy a used 2008. I've found one locally with less than 2,000 miles, mint condition, with the side luggage. They are asking $4,800. Is that a reasonable price? I was thinking more in the area of $4,000 - but I need advice.

So tell me, seasoned forum members, how much should I pay for a mint 2008, red, with 1,929 miles. Thanks for your responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm not seasoned, but that sounds a bit high to me. Where are you geographically located?

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Omaha, Nebraska. Bike is in Kansas City, MO. What do you think is a good price?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM

That' an interesting question.

A not-so-popular forum member (with whom I have no qualms) recently posted his findings about current V prices and what some new leftovers are selling for. If you read the thread, for price content, you'll get some valuable info. See link below.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=9876

Supply vs demand, within the area you are willing to travel, will be your factor. What you'll run into though, is that several '08 & '09's were purchased before the rebates were so high. Those group of folks paid more, in many cases, and won't be interested in swallowing a big loss. You'll need to decide if it's worth waiting, looking, or traveling to get bike as opposed to just finding a nice local bike and taking the plunge. The older I get, the more patient I become. I have more extra time than extra money, so I choose to invest my time in areas where I can save money.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

BW

PS- I agree with you...I too think low 4's would be where I'd want to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpower7 View Post
Hey everyone! I've been trolling the forum for awhile, and think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a Versys. I want an all-around bike, I've had sport bikes before but always wanted something that I could take on long trips, without getting a monster of a machine that would be unpleasant in town. The Versys seems like a perfect fit, and also "fits" - I'm 6'2, 205, and I've never been more comfortable in the saddle.

To the point of my post - I'm looking to buy a used 2008. I've found one locally with less than 2,000 miles, mint condition, with the side luggage. They are asking $4,800. Is that a reasonable price? I was thinking more in the area of $4,000 - but I need advice.

So tell me, seasoned forum members, how much should I pay for a mint 2008, red, with 1,929 miles. Thanks for your responses!

Last edited by bwwoodard; 11-21-2010 at 07:53 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:39 PM

There could be a little price/value difference based on the luggage too. If it has Kawasaki luggage versus Givi as Givi also has a couple different sizes. The E21 is less than the V35 package. I would also look to see if there are any other things added such as a hugger, radiator guard, seat mod, windshield, etc. It's not going to add 1000's of dollars to the value but would make it worth a little more than stock if it's something you would want.

Resale values are going to vary based on location as you will see. There is also the taxes involved as with some states, even if you buy it used, you still still pay sales tax when you register. If the bikes comes from out of state, the total price may be more or less, depending on the transfer rules.

I think the entire motorcycle market is a little depressed right now with the economy. All the book values may say one thing, but not sure many people are actually getting those prices on a sale or trade. Back when gas was approaching $5 a gallon, I think there were a lot of sales where people bought bikes and now, for one reason or another, are looking to sell them which puts a lot of inventory on the used market.

Craigslist is always a decent gauge of prices around the area/country. It can be difficult to search all of those local sites, however there is a decent search engine that will perform the task of covering a large area around a zip code, for searching. You might try it for '08 models to see what the market is showing.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Good luck on you purchase, whatever it is & post pictures:-)

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:07 PM

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cg...mit=++++go++++

2009 kawasaki versys ONLY 150 MILES!!! $4700
2008 kawasaki versys 650 $5600
2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 $5499
2008 Kawasaki Versys 2975 miles RED $4995
2008 KAWASAKI KLE650 VERSYS $4500
2009 Kawasaki Versys Green $4800
2008 Kawasaki Versys $4800
2008 Kawasaki Versys $4750
2008 Kawasaki Versys $5600
2009 Kawasaki Versys $4600

Lots more listed at the link above

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 PM

4500$ might be aq better price and obviously lower would be better. but 4800 isn't bad if the givi luggage is v35 and good condition. that's over 500$ worth of luggage(700+ new) if it is the luggae you would buy anyway, take that into consideration.

also check if any leftover 2009's are left over. i just got mine for 5199 and some have gotten them in the mid 4k's.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 PM

I thought I got a great deal last year when I paid $4500 for a red ('08) Versys with 4400 miles and Givi V35 sidecases.

Reading the thread about seemingly high prices asked for used Versyses, the market is a bit soft, mostly because of the leftover '09 bikes being sold at fairly low prices. Considering this, I agree that $4800 sounds a bit high.

But consider that if it is the only V around that price in your "neighborhood", then the price is not so bad.

And as drevil said, the V35 cases plus rack is $720.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpower7 View Post
They are asking $4,800... I was thinking more in the area of $4,000 ...
So offer $4,000.

Keep us posted.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode