Went Down - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Went Down

Got pulled out in front of on Monday and went down to avoid the collision. At least I like to say I did. Anyways.. I took more damage than the Versys but I'm doing ok and should be good to go in a couple weeks. Dang lucky for being an idiot and only wearing a helmet

Anyways.. I need a left side engine cover, Left fairing (green) and a left turn signal, bar end and shifter

Where's the best place to pick these up? Found fairings on ebay but no green at this time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 PM

You might be damaged A little but glad you are still around hope you get better soon, and good luck, hope you can find the parts you need.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Sorry to hear you went down but glad you came out relatively ok. What happend to you? Road rash? Broken bone?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
www.cheapcycleparts.com

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:30 PM

Glad you walked away to tell the tale. Hope you get well soon and are back on the saddle with a harsh but invaluable experience learned.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 AM

Good thing you are okay, bikes and gear can be replaced, you can't.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:07 AM

After reflecting on what happened, how do you think it could have been avoided (if that was possible at all)?

If you have insurance, the Dealer might be able to round up what you need. Might not be any more expensive than buying aftermarket and paying shipping.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Glad you going to be okay, so what were you wearing jeans and a t shirt?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Glad you going to be okay, so what were you wearing jeans and a t shirt?
Helmet, jeans and a polo shirt. Had to run a quick errand and it was 100 degrees. I didn't want to be hot. Pathetic excuse eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
After reflecting on what happened, how do you think it could have been avoided (if that was possible at all)?

If you have insurance, the Dealer might be able to round up what you need. Might not be any more expensive than buying aftermarket and paying shipping.
I was knocked unconscious so there's not too much reflection. The helmet did it's job admirably. I remember slowing down so a vehicle in front of me could make a right turn and then starting to accelerate. I was the SUV and the driver and I made contact. I was on guard that they would pull out. I waited a couple of seconds and remember relaxing a little. They she either pulled out or started to right as I got to the intersection. I remember grabbing front brake and that's it. I woke up on a backboard in a neck brace being loaded in an ambulance. The vehicles didn't collide so according to the police report I was riding along and just fell off

Was not going to file an automobile claim but I've since learned that the ambulance ride might be paid by auto insurance? I'm not sure, thought my health insurance would pay that

Quote:
Originally Posted by versystim View Post
Sorry to hear you went down but glad you came out relatively ok. What happend to you? Road rash? Broken bone?
Left knee took the worst of it. No breaks and the joint is still good according to orthopedic surgeon. Left shoulder took a big hit also but not broken bones there. Lots or soreness and lots or road rash. Hands are very sore also
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 AM

Glad to hear you made it out alive with just some bruises. Driving anywhere in a 50 mile radius of Atlanta is a challenge.

It's a good thing you were wearing your helmet or might have been reading this story elsewhere.

Heal up, fix it up, and be ready to ride another day!

Good luck on a speedy recovery.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Prayers for your quick recovery and it was a painful lesson learnt. Never assuming anything when you are on the bike.

Take care and hope to see you ride again.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 AM

So good you are going to make a full recovery. As for what you could have done differently, I wouldn't worry about that. That is why they are accidents, usually happen so fast that there is no time to think, just react. Speedy recovery and safer journeys ahead!

My Album:
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm just curious: if someone pulls out in front of you and you go down, how much are THEY at fault? Or do you just have to live with, 'sorry bout that chum.' ??
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
If the police report says you "fell off" then that probably means the driver is off the hook. Not like the negligent SUV will come forward and say "I was an idiot." I am so sorry you went down hard. I just got back from a walmart run and didnt wear my jacket. I am suitably chastened, in this 95 degree heat, and reminded that so many accidents are on "quick runs" to the store. Thanks for sharing, all the best in speedy recovery.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Since the vehicles did not collide and there were no other witnesses it was my fault according to the report. The witness to the accident was the driver that turned in front of me. I was not available for my side of the story. I have a call into the police department but I'm not expecting that to change anything
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 PM

I'm just glad to hear your alright?
Hope for a quick recovery for you and the V!!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 AM

Glad you are okay. Hope to only hear some news like yours.
Had already a few biker friends who are at speed heaven.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Got pulled out in front of on Monday and went down to avoid the collision.

How did u go down, I mean did ur rear tire skid when braking ?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahrukh View Post
How did u go down, I mean did ur rear tire skid when braking ?
Front end washed when I grabbed the brake. It was a situation where I made eye contact with the driver and was on guard. I waited for something to happen for a couple seconds and then relaxed when I thought they weren't going to move. That's when they went and I won't lie. I panicked and grabbed the front brake. I don't remember anything else
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:06 AM

Glad you are ok. That's why I have a Stebel air horn and am not afraid to use it. I had a big pickup almost pull out in front of me Sunday, but the Stebel woke his clueless azz up!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode