Anger + versys = wipeout - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anger + versys = wipeout

Well we all know that emotional riding is dangerous, and last night I realized it violently. We all have our problems in life, work, marriage, kids, and I failed horribly in keeping my wits. In a fit I dumped on the throttle, popped the clutch too fast, and proceeded to wheelie out of control down a residential street, turning the bike on it's arse, and feeling how hard asphalt can be on body and more so, my poor bike.
As humiliating as it was/is, I wanted to remind all riders out there how important a clear head is when you start your bikes. I have no idea how much the damage is gonna cost me, but the tail section, right peg, plate, swm bars, rh bar/grip/throttle all look to be toast. An expensive lesson, not even including how sore my a$$, toe and shoulder are. Thank god I'm a ATGATT kinda guy, even when very P.O.'d.
I'm very upset with myself regardless. I hope my message prevents at least one of you from ever even getting on your bike when emotions are dictating your actions. Safe riding, and if anyone has any stock tail parts or right side peg area bits for sale, I'll be interested when I can face looking her in her wierd eye once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM

I am so sorry to hear about this. I am glad you are ok, and posted this to the forum. Emotion can get the best of anyone. If you are fortunate enough to walk away from this with some insight and understanding, then you will be better for it. I hope everyone that reads this post keeps it in mind.
Most sincere wishes that things are better in you life today and you will get back to riding again soon.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks thumper.
It's a tough day, but like you said, I walked away and learned a hard lesson. Let me be one of a few...

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
hey man, glad you are ok. Sorry that your bike was damaged, and I hope your drama can resolve itself. Hang in there.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 PM

Props!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad your OK now and you learned and want to help others.

A few years back, we had a Town Councilman locally get in an argument with his dad, in the heat of anger, he jumped on his Goldwing and was shifting gears like crazy and T-boned a car turning left in front of him not even a 1/4 mile from where he departed. He was estimated at doing 60 in a 25 at the time of impact. He died on scene.

Your story and others like it do help us riders weigh the risks beforehand and we do learn from your mistakes.

Good luck with repairs and get back in the saddle soon!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:39 PM

We've all been there - tearing around an idiot on cell phone, frustrations can pile up. I am 42 and still need to remind myself to chill out sometimes. I've destroyed several computers and feel the idiot afterwords. Good that you made it out, take it as it comes and don't be too hard on yourself.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 PM

That's a good reminder for all. Thanks for sharing.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. When it all seems as bad as it can be, complete strangers step up as if good friends. The world still has a chance, I think.
I will fix it. I will ride again.
Only smarter.
What a great community of fellow riders.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:08 PM

I am sorry you even had to learn this lesson, A bad emotional state can be as bad or worse than drunk driving, hope things are better for you now and thanks for reminding others in hopes of preventing us from the same fate or worse. Glad you came out of it ok, hope you get to ride again soon.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us. It's always helpful to be reminded of these things so hopefully we can remember not to make the same mistakes.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM

What look like a failure today is a good "life poker card" to keep in your back pocket. Got 2 decks of those on me and use them to be compationnate when other poeple are also failing around me. As an example, my wife paid our bills yesterday using internet bank account: she paid 6k$ to the cable company then 100$ to the credit card company instead of the opposite. My first though was to tell her she was f... dumb a$$... (natural reaction I guess). Then took out my deck of failure, got the worst of my life failure card at looked at it for a while. Finally told my wife, honey! I'm pretty happy your at least as dumb as me. We both laugh, and finally got what I was looking for couple days ago.

Hopefully not bothering you too much with my personal experience
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 PM

Live and learn. **** happens.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 AM

+1 on what Kenr74 said. Good thing you are okay!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:03 AM

Problems will always come and go.
Thank you for sharing. Glad you were alright .

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Rik

heard it said: "hard times don't last, strong people do"
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 AM

I think I feel a group hug coming on ----- it's over now (thankfully).

Ride smart everyone. Remember that you are invisible, asphalt is harder than bones, and it's not the speed that kills people, but the sudden stop.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
coughin. It take a very brave men to accept his mistake and short coming in life. Keep in mind, nothing in this world is worth losing you emotions or anything else for the matter. end of the day you/we will only hurts over self.

Glad you are OK and hope you get the V together.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Good on you for stepping up and giving us something that can help us all. A humble man is a good man.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Yup. Good group hug. Thanks again all for the thoughts.
Now, what were we talking about....
Oh yeah, the versys rules!
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode