Top box size, what is too big? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Top box size, what is too big?

I've got a chance to pick up a nice Pelican Case for cheap. Only problem is it MIGHT be too big. It's 27 X 27 X 15. I would only have it installed for long trips.

Robot Check

Opinions? BTW it's only $100 hardly used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:14 AM

Garage
I'm assuming your measurements are in inches? Almost 180 litres, that's a big topbox.

My 43 litre topbox looks big

Last edited by MaverickAus; 01-27-2016 at 01:17 AM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 AM

Garage
Here is mine with the Givi trekker 46L top box and with 33L's on the sides. I can fit a full face helmet in the 46L top box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank bag.jpg (45.9 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg moto cases.jpg (88.8 KB, 433 views)

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've come to the conclusion that monster IS TOO BIG for a top case, on my bike anyway! After some extensive research, I did however find a more manageable size on Amazon Warehouse Deals. It is the Storm iM2600 by Pelican. Exterior Dimensions of 21.2 x 16 x 8.3" I think that is around 35 liters?

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 AM

Garage
Good call. 27x27x15 is enormous! I went to the basement to measure my old army foot locker, something that I would consider way too huge to use as a top case, and it measures at 23W x 20D x 12H. That Pelican case would be better suited on the roof rack of an SUV.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I've come to the conclusion that monster IS TOO BIG for a top case, on my bike anyway! After some extensive research, I did however find a more manageable size on Amazon Warehouse Deals. It is the Storm iM2600 by Pelican. Exterior Dimensions of 21.2 x 16 x 8.3" I think that is around 35 liters?
46 litres actually, yeah that other one would be too big for any bike I reckon.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 AM

Garage
Had a 46 litre at first....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

But liked the 55 liter much better...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Had a 46 litre at first....

But liked the 55 liter much better...

Wow! Wasn't that almost large enough to carry your petite GF?

In your photo it looks enormous - rather like a UFO attempting to abscond with your Versys!
weljo2001 likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Wow! Wasn't that almost large enough to carry your petite GF?

In your photo it looks enormous - rather like a UFO attempting to abscond with your Versys!

Yes but my petite girlfriend carries lot of stuff.
onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Seahorse makes a similar(but smaller) SE720 which is super cheap off their website. You may want something bigger though. It's been plenty big for my uses- It'll fit a full Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece, but it's tight!

2014 Versys ABS
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
Seahorse makes a similar(but smaller) SE720 which is super cheap off their website. You may want something bigger though. It's been plenty big for my uses- It'll fit a full Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece, but it's tight!
I did look into the Seahorse cases but shipping to Alaska...... KILLS whatever savings I had over Pelican. I got the iM2600 WITH foam for $125 off Amazon, I think that's a pretty good price and the size will work well for what I am doing with it. I can't put a helmet in it, but I don't ever think I would have a need to.

2011 ADVersys

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:30 AM

Garage
indeed, the 55 looks like your being followed around by an alien spaceship.
onewizard likes this.

Binderline
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
indeed, the 55 looks like your being followed around by an alien spaceship.
Heres a better angle...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 12:41 PM

What is needed to go along with the top box is some meaty saddlebags,

an 18" high tank bag (if you can see over it, how freakin' convenient is that?),

the huge top box,

and if that is not enough storage, you can retrofit some large medium saddlebags hanging off of each side of your forks, to also help balance the load out.

You would then slide onto the seat like a slice of meat in a luggage sandwich Vs. 650: no rear-seat-bag storage capacity required.

Last edited by kawdog; 01-28-2016 at 12:57 PM.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
YIKES!! Those are some Massive side cases. NOT......my style.
binderline likes this.

2011 ADVersys

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 PM

I have the Givi E 52 which was the largest they made at the time. It's big. Not quite as big as the E 55 though but big enough.
That Pelican is crazy big, perhaps better suited for mounting atop your car LOL.
turn8a and AlaskaJeff like this.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:26 AM

Twisted Throttle have a mounting frame for attaching to a number of top racks but I cant remember the details. You have to drill into the case but they provide weather proof sealing. Send them an email.

They used to sell a Pelican case based system but discontinued but still have a few of the frames.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:50 AM

One thing to consider is how much weight you are putting in back of the rear axel. I took a trip last summer with my loaded Givi. It was fine in the dry but when we hit twisty mountain roads in the rain the front end was definitely light and vague.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 PM

I got the Givi Trekker Outback 58L which I thought was completely massive when I first got it, but after riding with it a few times, I don't even notice it any more.

One thing I did notice though is that since it extends so far back, it does do a pretty good job of covering up the tail light, so I'm working on adding some running/turn/brake lights onto the top case as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9655.jpg (51.1 KB, 1116 views)
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 01:45 AM

Check GIVI's 55 liter max weight capacity out (22 lbs.), and check YOUR specific trunk model capacity out (for your bike.) Failure to do so could result in a bent frame harming your safety and pocket book.

Monokey Cases : 55 LITER TOP CASE - MAXIA III

Most rear racks when OEM's made them were for 5 kg or 11 lbs. Multiply this times 3 (300% x max stated-limit for safety engineering) equals 33 lbs MAX. GIVI's 55 l bag weighs 11 lbs and has a 22 lb capacity = 33 lbs! If physics, weights, and gravity has not changed, it looks like manufacturers have eliminated all of the OEM safety allowances (for vibrations, dynamic forces, unbalanced weights, ...) And GIVI is maybe one of the best, so their 22 lbs limit MEANS 22 lbs and no more (it's big to carry 2 full coverage helmets, and it's not to be loaded full of groceries!) ymmv

onewizard likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 02-01-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode