Tail Rack - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tail Rack

I thought this would be easy to find, but not having much luck. All I seem to find is the SW Moto tail rack that looks like it fits, but a little pricey at $145 - - and you would still need to come up with some type of larger top plate to attach to it for a larger support area.. Are there any GOOD alternative racks? I intend to use it almost exclusively to carry a Moto Fizz medium soft bag which is a pretty good size bag, and IMO would need more lateral support if you mount it sideways as I prefer. I'm not a "fabricator" nor a mechanical guru so I'm pretty much limited to what you can buy off the shelf. Quality is important to me so any recommendations and sources would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 02:24 PM

What year model is your bike?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Givi makes a cool rack too. www.sporttour.com

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 PM

revs performance out of alanta i think ihave one looks great but it has a tube like butt rest on it that takes away capacity
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrose View Post
I thought this would be easy to find, but not having much luck. All I seem to find is the SW Moto tail rack that looks like it fits, but a little pricey at $145 - - and you would still need to come up with some type of larger top plate to attach to it for a larger support area..
I like the look of the SW Moteck Alu-rack. For soft luggage, you could use this plate:

It clicks onto the top of the Alu-rack in seconds (just three quarter turn clicks). When you dont have luggage, remove and your bike will still look good without the plate!

I like the Givi setup as well but I personally think the Givi looks a little weird with no trunk mounted.. Just my $.02.

If you have been around motorcycles very long, everything that is well built and looks good cost some $. Let us know what you do!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM

http://www.cycleluggage.com/shad_k0vr67st.html

Shad, awesome quality, awesome price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
www.sporttour.com fantastic prices service and fast delivery. And the givi rack looks great and holds a load. i've had my E-55 stuffed like a turkey before.

[

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-31-2010 at 10:05 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
with a tailbag

[

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-31-2010 at 10:06 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Captain as noted I found the rack previously and I think it looks awesome, but was unaware they made the quick release plate to fit it. Guess I could save a few bucks and have someone fab a reasonable facsimile, but no way it would ever look as good as the MoTech plate and be as easy to take off and on. By the time I paid someone to design and fab one I would likely have more $$$ sunk into it than the $55 MoTech plate. Guess I'll just have to swallow my pride and fork over the $200 . Quality does cost. BTW how did the intallation go? Just a simple bolt on ? I'm not exactly the Einstein mechanical type. Thanks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrose View Post
Thanks Captain as noted I found the rack previously and I think it looks awesome, but was unaware they made the quick release plate to fit it. Guess I could save a few bucks and have someone fab a reasonable facsimile, but no way it would ever look as good as the MoTech plate and be as easy to take off and on. By the time I paid someone to design and fab one I would likely have more $$$ sunk into it than the $55 MoTech plate. Guess I'll just have to swallow my pride and fork over the $200 . Quality does cost. BTW how did the intallation go? Just a simple bolt on ? I'm not exactly the Einstein mechanical type. Thanks
Your welcome!

I have not installed mine yet. Because I have the 2010, I had to wait a few months to get it from Twisted Throttle. They received the container from Germany late this week and said it should be shipping any day (I ordered on may 23rd). I ordered the 2010 SW-Motech Alu Rack and Givi Monokey adapter so I can use the Givi46NT I purchased from sporttour.com.

I am thinking about also purchasing the the rack for soft luggage I posted above in case I want to haul other things besides the trunk. Looks like it would be handy if I knew I would be needing a place to strap down a box, cooler, or other luggage.

Should be a very easy install. You basically take off the seat, take off the grab rails (4 bolts) and replace with the new grab rails & rack. Click seat back in place. Here are the instructions for the 2010, cant imagine the 2008 being much different.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:43 PM

If you want to go a cheaper route, you can buy the Shad top rack for $86 and fab your own top plate. I've seen cutting boards used for this purpose.

http://www.oncycles.com/catalog.asp?pn=MCL00712
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode