Auto switch -- newbie - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Auto switch -- newbie

Hi Guys! I'm new to this forum, new to the Versys, new to motorcycling. I got my '09 Versys in January and have been riding it as my only transportation ever since. What an awesome first bike!

Anyways, I bought the auto switch AS5PG2 so I can use my turn signal cancel to open the garage. I've got it the white/black wires soldered to the remote and have tested it (hooked up black wire to the frame, red to the positive terminal on the battery, then tapped the yellow/red wire twice on the positive battery terminal) and it worked great. Unfortunately, I've never done anything like this before and so I'm not sure how to move on from here.

So, I have the following questions:
1. How do I get to the wire for the turn signal cancel button? Seems like I might need to remove the fuel tank... Is that right? I do have the service manual (pdf) and see how to remove the tank, but I really don't want to do that just yet if I don't have to.

2. Once I get to the wire bundles, how do I test to find the right wire?

3. Once I find the right wire, how do I splice the wire from the auto switch into it? Do I need something like a PosiTap?

I realize these are probably alarmingly basic questions and I should probably just take it to a shop to get the work done, but I really want to learn so I figured I'd ask here so as not to screw up my beautiful bike . So, can anyone help?

Thanks,

Brendon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 PM

I can't answer for #1 but I can't imagine you'd have to go through that much trouble to find the right wire for this type of install...however, I could be completely wrong.

2 - If you have the service manual, find the wiring diagram section and look it up. It should be pretty easy to find (if you know how to read wiring diagrams).

3 - PosiTaps are ridiculously easy albeit a bit bulky. If you don't have any positaps, your local autoparts store will have something that does the same thing. I've used positaps and the generic autoparts ones and like the positaps much better, but they do add a little more bulk to the install.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks jchristian.. I just took another look and found where all the cables are bundled right under the seat. I also thought that would have been a bit crazy to have to remove the tank. I'm excited now though! I can start searching for the turn signal cancel wire in the morning. I will have to go pick up something from the auto parts store for tapping into the wire though. Getting close...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

And on that note, welcome aboard!! I'm just a little bit down the road from you in San Antonio.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsabian View Post
Hi Guys! I'm new to this forum, new to the Versys, new to motorcycling. I got my '09 Versys in January and have been riding it as my only transportation ever since. What an awesome first bike!

Anyways, I bought the auto switch AS5PG2 so I can use my turn signal cancel to open the garage. I've got it the white/black wires soldered to the remote and have tested it (hooked up black wire to the frame, red to the positive terminal on the battery, then tapped the yellow/red wire twice on the positive battery terminal) and it worked great. Unfortunately, I've never done anything like this before and so I'm not sure how to move on from here.

3. Once I find the right wire, how do I splice the wire from the auto switch into it? Do I need something like a PosiTap?

I realize these are probably alarmingly basic questions and I should probably just take it to a shop to get the work done, but I really want to learn so I figured I'd ask here so as not to screw up my beautiful bike . So, can anyone help?

Thanks,

Brendon
Brendon,

Welcome to the forum. I also think that the Versys is an excellent first bike.

Interestingly I just installed an autoswitch yesterday. I chose to use the high-beam line for the signal (yellow) line on the autoswitch. Why are you trying to use the turn-signal kill instead of the high-beam. I guess if you flash your brights a whole lot...

I have never used a Positap, but the autoswitch comes with two red crimp-type wire splicers. I know that it would have been better for me to solder the connections, but I just used what was provided with the unit. With less than 24 hours experience, I can say that it works like a charm.

Paul
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bear! Good to know there are some fellow Texans on here. Haven't seen anyone else on a Versys here in Austin yet. I'm sure there are, just haven't seen any.

Paul, awesome. Yeah, I guess I was going for turn-signal just because that's what I had seen others do. I never really use the high beam, so that would be a good place too. Now, since I've never done this kind of thing before and you did it yesterday, let me ask where exactly did you splice in? I see under the seat where it looks like most of the wires end up, is that where you got the high-beam line? Any chance of a picture to help me out? And what about the power source for the autoswitch itself?

I've actually been busy all day and probably wont get to until tomorrow unfortunately, but that does give me another day for some help before I go messing around in there
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsabian View Post
I never really use the high beam, so that would be a good place too. Now, since I've never done this kind of thing before and you did it yesterday, let me ask where exactly did you splice in? Any chance of a picture to help me out? And what about the power source for the autoswitch itself?

I've actually been busy all day and probably wont get to until tomorrow unfortunately, but that does give me another day for some help before I go messing around in there
Brendon,

I do not have the greatest pictures since I have already put my bike back together. There was an earlier thread (started by DragonBreath long ago at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=autoswitch) that gave me the idea to do this. I finally managed to get around to it yesterday. I think that this particular farkle is invaluable for commuters (who have garages).

Since I have never before uploaded pictures to the forum, I had to include my bike as Image_1.jpg. It is pretty much stock except for H&B guards and a Givi top case mount upon which is mounted at JCWhitney case. Not much of this has anything to do with the AutoSwitch, does it???

If you have never used the "Pass" switch on your left hand grip (please see Image_2.jpg) then it would make an excellent, built-in switch to use for this endeavor. This switch turns on your high beams when it it depressed.

I did not cut down any of the wires that came with the AutoSwitch. Therefore I ended up with a mess in the end. I will have to clean it up sometime (once I am completely convinced I didn't do anything wrong in the installation). Please see Image_3.jpg for that.

After dealing with the white/black line and soldering it into the garage remote, I used one of the provided red crimp-type splicers on the left (when you are sitting on your bike) "city light" red wire. I pretty much assumed that my bike was assembled correctly enough that the red wires were +12V. It appears that is a valid assumption. I used the other red crimp-type splicer to attach the yellow wire from the AutoSwitch to the red wire going into the high-beam (just before it actually gets to the light).

I attached the black wire from the AutoSwitch to a chassis point near the coolant tank (Image_5.jpg). At least one of the screws in the picture was well connected to the ground of the bike. I used an Ohmmeter to determine this.

The end result is shown in Image_4.jpg. I used cable ties and electrical tape to tie the remote and AutoSwitch together and attach them near the headlight. Someday I will clean up my installation.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image_1.JPG (243.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Image_2.JPG (168.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Image_3.JPG (254.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Image_4.JPG (168.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Image_5.JPG (170.7 KB, 64 views)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Paul! I got to it today and it's working great! I spliced in at the same points you did, but I extended the red and yellow wires so I could place the autoswitch and opener under the seat and attached the black wire to a grounded bolt under the seat. Just got back from my first ride with it, hit the Pass button twice and rode right in. So much better. Thanks again for the advice and photos.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Brendon, auto door, love the idea and could save the hassall of finding which jacket pocket the keys are this time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
& on your wiring. Be careful with the wiring or else you land with a cooked V.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Be careful with the wiring or else you land with a cooked V.

Fastoman,

I just hooked an autoswitch such that it got power from the left "city light" that is switched with the ignition and it took its signal from the red high-beam wire. It was grounded to the chassis. Is there a history of simple modifications like this toasting Versii?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
Fastoman,

I just hooked an autoswitch such that it got power from the left "city light" that is switched with the ignition and it took its signal from the red high-beam wire. It was grounded to the chassis. Is there a history of simple modifications like this toasting Versii?
I wish the implementation was my idea, but I can't take credit. The only idea I came up with was that there must be a way to integrate garage door opener into the bike.. Searching around for a while on google, I found autoswitch, but had no idea how to hook it up. Some more searching led me to these forums where I found a couple other threads (see below for links) of this mod in these forums. I started a new one because, as a newbie, there wasn't quite enough detail in the others (Paul's pics helped greatly) for me to jump right in.

The others in the other threads also did essentially the same thing: Found ignition switched power source for the autoswitch, used high-beam or other button-switched power for the activation, grounded to the frame. Not one of those spoke of any adverse effects if done correctly. Been less than 24 hrs for me, but took her out again this morning, so far so good. Let's hope it stays that way

Links to other threads:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1584

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1186

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1164 (using autoswitch for driving lights)

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=9652 (just found this one right now while searching for the others)

Pretty busy today, but I'll try to post up pics of my mod later so that other newbies will have an easier time when they attempt this mod.

Brendon
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Had a few mins at lunch so, as promised, here are the pics of my install.

Descriptions:

Photo 1: Just a photo of my bike. '09, green, fully stock so far with the obvious exception of this mod.

Photo 2: The bulb on the right-hand side is the led from the autoswitch. For now, I just stuck it through the clamp that was already there for the existing wires. Works for now, but as soon as I get a chance, I want to mount it into the dashboard (I'm referring to the black plastic piece where the guages are mounted -- not sure if dashboard is the correct term on a motorcycle).

Photo 3: This is where I spliced in the power for the autoswitch (red wire from autoswitch) into the right hand side city light.

Photo 4: This shows where I attached the ground (black wire from autoswitch) under the seat.

Photo 5: This shows where I threaded the wires (autoswitch power -- red, autoswitch trigger sense -- red/yellow, and autoswitch led -- black/red) along the gas tank behind the black plastic piece that runs alongside the tank. I plan to wrap all of those in some tubing to clean up a bit.

Photo 6: This shows the garage opener (autoswitch is taped to it underneath -- not visible in the pic) and all the wiring under the seat. It's currently quite a mess especially because I added way more length to the red and yellow wires than was necessary. I plan to shorten them and wrap them all up in tubing and come up with a better way to mount the garage opener rather than just strapping it in on top of the tools as it is now.

Photo 7: This one came out upside-down for some reason, but it shows where I spliced in the yellow wire (it's actually red in the pic because I extended it with my own red wire) into the high-beam's red wire.

All said and done, I'm quite happy with my implementation, though I'll be much happier once I do the cleanup I mentioned and get it all prettyfied. I'll probably take care of that in a day or two when I change the oil and give her a bath

to all newbies that want to try this out, I hope this helps a bit. And to those that have come before and helped me to get this working.

Brendon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (73.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (88.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (86.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (102.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.JPG (81.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg photo 6.JPG (99.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg photo 7.JPG (88.7 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by bdsabian; 07-26-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Updating with pic of ground wire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode