Had a few mins at lunch so, as promised, here are the pics of my install.
Photo 1: Just a photo of my bike. '09, green, fully stock so far with the obvious exception of this mod.
Photo 2: The bulb on the right-hand side is the led from the autoswitch. For now, I just stuck it through the clamp that was already there for the existing wires. Works for now, but as soon as I get a chance, I want to mount it into the dashboard (I'm referring to the black plastic piece where the guages are mounted -- not sure if dashboard is the correct term on a motorcycle).
Photo 3: This is where I spliced in the power for the autoswitch (red wire from autoswitch) into the right hand side city light.
Photo 4: This shows where I attached the ground (black wire from autoswitch) under the seat.
Photo 5: This shows where I threaded the wires (autoswitch power -- red, autoswitch trigger sense -- red/yellow, and autoswitch led -- black/red) along the gas tank behind the black plastic piece that runs alongside the tank. I plan to wrap all of those in some tubing to clean up a bit.
Photo 6: This shows the garage opener (autoswitch is taped to it underneath -- not visible in the pic) and all the wiring under the seat. It's currently quite a mess especially because I added way more length to the red and yellow wires than was necessary. I plan to shorten them and wrap them all up in tubing and come up with a better way to mount the garage opener rather than just strapping it in on top of the tools as it is now.
Photo 7: This one came out upside-down for some reason, but it shows where I spliced in the yellow wire (it's actually red in the pic because I extended it with my own red wire) into the high-beam's red wire.
All said and done, I'm quite happy with my implementation, though I'll be much happier once I do the cleanup I mentioned and get it all prettyfied. I'll probably take care of that in a day or two when I change the oil and give her a bath
to all newbies that want to try this out, I hope this helps a bit. And
to those that have come before and helped me to get this working.