First Service Tommorrow and frame sliders - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Service Tommorrow and frame sliders

So my little Versys had her 600 mile coming of age party yesterday... I was a little bummed. My little darling is growing up so quickly. It seems like yesterday she had 0 miles on her. Before I know it she'll have 1000 miles on her and be out there, reving as high as she pleases, staying out all night, etc. At least I'll always know where she is

Anyways, I'm taking it to the dealer in the morning; same one who so excellently covered me for the shifter warranty repair.

But I wanted to just toss this out here tonight in case there is anything I should ask about in terms of unusual wear, or anything I should know, etc.

One thing is, I plan to put frame sliders on, since they came free with my race stands... should I ask about the possible issue with the engine mount tabs that is discussed here ? Should I think about putting washers to shim the gap on both sides if there is one? Or should I not worry about it unless it actually does start to crack?

Also, because of that possible issue, is a bad idea to even put the frame sliders on, i.e. will they break the tabs if the bike ever falls on the frame sliders?

Lastly, I plan to put the spools on the swingarm and leave them on, just because it will be nice to basically use the rear stand without having to put them on... any reason I shouldn't?

Last edited by dohrt; 07-23-2010 at 07:24 PM.
dohrt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Member
 
Capn Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 4,740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohrt View Post
Lastly, I plan to put the spools on the swingarm and leave them on, just because it will be nice to basically use the rear stand without having to put them on... any reason I shouldn't?
I installed spools on the swingarm and they have been there since. I see no reason to remove them.
Capn Kirk is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbia Missouri
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've got swingarm sliders that stay on, they fit my stand. I'd look at the Hepco& Becker or the SW-Motech engine guards. These will far protect more than a frame slider in the event of a drop or lowside.
Congrats on your bike almost reaching puberty


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!


2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Randy49 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Member
 
jchristian79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I put the Harbor Freight aluminum spools on and haven't taken them off. The package even lists swingarm protection in the event of a drop as ine it's jobs.
jchristian79 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I can leave the swingarm spools on, but I should avoid using the frame sliders and go for the engine guard.

I will plan on that then, but unfortunately, I need to save up for that, as I don't have an unlimited budget, and I need to pay for the 600 mile service tomorrow. It's been added to my "save up for" list which already includes some better/seasonal riding gear, as well as rack/bags, battery service for winter.

Thanks guys for the input, it's definitely appreciated.

Last edited by dohrt; 07-23-2010 at 08:44 PM.
dohrt is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, tx
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohrt View Post
Ok, so I can leave the swingarm spools on, but I should avoid using the frame sliders and go for the engine guard.

I will plan on that then, but unfortunately, I need to save up for that, as I don't have an unlimited budget, and I need to pay for the 600 mile service tomorrow. It's been added to my "save up for" list which already includes some better/seasonal riding gear, as well as rack/bags, battery service for winter.

Thanks guys for the input, it's definitely appreciated.
Instead of using your "saved up" money on the first service why not do it yourself? All they do is check bolts and change oil.
rumbo75 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I heard that warranty claims can be problematic if you don't records of proper service through the dealer... and I've already had one warranty issue, so I'd like to try to keep the relationship as smooth as possible, at least early on.

On the other hand, I can (and already have/plan to) do my own simple maintenance, such as oil changes, clean/lube/adjusting chain, adjust cables, etc. Although, I've never done brakes, clutch, or anything beyond the easy stuff. Although I wouldn't mind learning, since the more I can do myself, the better.

If the only things they do are an oil change and check for loose bolts... well, hmm. That does seem rather simple and insignificant. I guess I thought there was something more significant happening here.

Anyways, I was told I have until the end of my 12 months "default" warranty coverage to decide if I want to pay to add more years to the warranty. Is that pretty much a waste, or is it worthwhile? And was I misinformed about dealerships giving me more hassle without paperwork showing proper scheduled service?

I think I need to do some forum searching...
dohrt is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow, apologies, I'm an idiot.

I searched and found a thread where you already explained that if you document (with receipts) your own service, they still honor the warranty.
dohrt is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, tx
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohrt View Post
I heard that warranty claims can be problematic if you don't records of proper service through the dealer... and I've already had one warranty issue, so I'd like to try to keep the relationship as smooth as possible, at least early on.

On the other hand, I can (and already have/plan to) do my own simple maintenance, such as oil changes, clean/lube/adjusting chain, adjust cables, etc. Although, I've never done brakes, clutch, or anything beyond the easy stuff. Although I wouldn't mind learning, since the more I can do myself, the better.

If the only things they do are an oil change and check for loose bolts... well, hmm. That does seem rather simple and insignificant. I guess I thought there was something more significant happening here.

Anyways, I was told I have until the end of my 12 months "default" warranty coverage to decide if I want to pay to add more years to the warranty. Is that pretty much a waste, or is it worthwhile? And was I misinformed about dealerships giving me more hassle without paperwork showing proper scheduled service?

I think I need to do some forum searching...
Just document your work performed and you will be fine. It will not give you warranty claims problems.

Technically, they check the brakes, chain slack, cables, all fluids, and re torque bolts. Obviously your brakes will be fine. What fluids are there to check?? Antifreeze? That's easy enough. Do you know how to adjust the chain? It's not that hard...

In my opinion it's good to do it yourself so you can learn your bike. But don't take my word for it...ask the dealer exactly all that they do for the first service and then ask yourself if it's worth paying what they will charge.

I would hold off until the end of the first year to decide if you want extra warranty coverage. I chose not to.
rumbo75 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Keizer, OR
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think warranty work has more to do with a dealer than a service record does. A good dealer will just fix it and turn in the paperwork. Unless you've caused the problem like doing a poor install on an aftermarket part or from a lowside/wreck, there's seldom an issue. My dealer would cover it and I do all my own service. I also buy my oil and filters from them too so they know it's getting done. I suppose they could always look up my purchases and see how many times I bought a certain oil filter and then do a little math if they wanted to. Another thing to consider when pricing cheap vs OEM oil filters I guess.
BrittB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome