Looking to purchase but confused! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking to purchase but confused!

I am looking to purchase a dual purpose bike. One that can do 98% road use, but with the capability to take it down a fire trail or other "off road" type trail, but not looking for something with true dirt bike capabilities like a KLR. Can the Versys go off road or not? I am getting mixed signals from this site, from promotional literature, and from dealer. I am looking at a new blue 09 Versys, stock, no ABS, for $5800. Is this a decent deal? Oh, by the way, the $5800 is plus freight and prep. of about $400, and IN sales tax of 6%. Again, is this a decent deal or should I keep looking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. It will absolutely go down a dirt road just fine. I think for what you're looking for, the Versys will fit the bill. Make you smile. Make you wanna break the law!!

Ok, I think you get the picture.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM

If you're looking at an '09, the only confusion is Blue or Green. The answer is - Green. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 PM

For 98% road use the V is definately the way to go! I also have a Suzuki DR650 that is a is a great dual sport if you're doing more fire roads than blacktop, but the V is alot more fun and comfortable for road use. With the 10% fire roads I'm doing, I'm selling the DR650 and using the V for all my riding.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:43 PM

I think the 'V' will fit your needs just right. I've had mine in some very strange places and got out of them without any issues. Now that I've mounted some Distenzia's I'll be looking for more "stranger places".

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

If you're looking at an '09, the only confusion is Blue or Green. The answer is - Green. Hope this helps.

Thanks, guys. The only bike this local dealer has is the blue, which, with all due respect, I prefer over the green.

Any comments on the price? I ran across a thread in this site where someone was talking about getting a new 09 for around $4,300? Could that be?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 PM

The tires are the only weak point for fire roads but if you keep your speed up, it's not too bad. I would use up the original tires and then replace them with tires that are better suited for your intended use. The rest of the bike is good to go.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. New to the site. Is it taboo to comment on price? If not, can someone please comment on the price?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 PM

If your willing to drive I'd bet you can find a better price.
Any one else on price , is $5800 too high?......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 PM

From what I've read in other threads, price depends greatly on when you buy what year's model, and where you are buying.

I can tell you that in my area (greater Washington DC area), what few 2009 Versys that are left are selling for like low 5k range (5300 I think was the last one I saw an ad for, but I think there were substantial fees on top of that, probably like $400 or more) plus tax, title, registration.

However, I traveled about 400 miles away (800 miles round trip) to find a 2009 for about 4790 plus tax (3%, or $143.70), title ($10), registration ($51.50), but there were no other fees on top of that; delivery and assembly were included in the dealer's price, and there was nothing since I was registering and paying tax in another state.

Some others on this forum have paid even less... I think the best price I've seen here was like 4300 plus maybe 100 doc fee? But I can't exactly remember...

However, I think the sweet spot right now is around 5k, as this is what the majority of ads I looked at were going for a new 2009 model when I bought about five weeks ago.

Methods I used to arrive at these figures were largely based on craigslist ads placed by dealerships, ebay, cycle trader, and other "classifieds" type sites where dealers sell at. I myself am absolutely horrible at negotiating, but was on a super tight budget due to not being rich, and spent a good month or two really studying published prices.

However, I think the most important thing about price, assuming it's within what you can afford without killing yourself, is weighing the convenience factor.

For example, to get that price, I had to take a day off of work (paid vacation day), rent a trailer for $30, spend $100 on gas, and spend 14 hours on the road on day when it was 98 degrees outside. Some others may say that's too much time and trouble just to save a few hundred dollars on something that costs 5k or more.

Are you the kind of person who mows your own lawn, rakes your own leaves, changes your own oil, and spends 2 hours a week clipping coupons so you can save $10, or do you pay others to do those tasks because you have the money, while time (on your bike, with family, friends, etc.) is worth that cost to you? Especially if you are financing the bike... the difference in the monthly payment is almost nothing; 6% loan for 24 months is only $22.16 per month for every $500 you borrow. Although, if $22 is a lot of money for you (as it is to me), well... hehe.

Me? No kids and money is very tight (no financing, paid the whole thing in cash), so I had to put the time in and go for the best deal... but each person makes that decision for themselves.

And a lot of people are paying 6500 or more for the 2010 model and are very happy with what they got, and think the bike is worth that money.

Personally, I'm pretty new here myself, but I have seen people talk about prices in other threads... usually it seems to be just fine, although commenting on what someone should or shouldn't pay, or what someone should or shouldn't sell for is perhaps risking going over that line of "just fine".

It does seem like, due perhaps to the economy's huge downturn recently, that there is a temporary and substantial price drop on the 2009 models because there were a lot left over, but some have speculated that once all the 2009 models sell out, pricing will return to "normal", though I couldn't say for sure what "normal" is nor could I say when the 2009 models will run out.

I'm a n00b in the ways of motorcycle buying and selling, and this is the first bike I've had in almost 20 years, so keep that in mind as you read this.

Best of luck to you.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
can someone please comment on the price?
I paid $5598 in New York. I drove 140 miles round trip and was able to haul the bike with my truck. There were few Versy and NO deals to be had locally, slightly better prices (with more "fees") much farther away. As per Dohrt, I considered my time/cost/pain-in-ass ratios and am pleased with the deal I took. I would have been OK with $5800 in this scenario, too. You just have to look at all aspects of the deal, not merely purchase price.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 PM
djg

I paid $4744 in MN and $365 when I registered in WI. Drove to Brainerd for deal on cycletrader.com, dealers last blue '09, zero miles.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
better deals seem to be in the areas with the worst economy.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 AM

Dohrt hit the nail on the head! I live in the same area (D.C.) and could find V's all around but the best price was something like $5300-$5500 and in blue (I wanted green). I decided to take a day off, drive the truck to Bedford, PA and get $4722 from the dealer completely setup. I had to pay 6% sales tax/title/tag on my own which came to $430. I don't make a lot of money, have no kids, and paid in cash also. $100 is worth 13 hours of working for me, so you have to decide what your money and time is worth to you.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Or you buy it and get it 'sprayed' "Passion Red", the FASTEST color!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
In Utah, half an hour drive from the south end of the Salt Lake valley to Springville, 35 minutes south, I went from $6999 to $4800 (before fees). I even tried to get the dealer closer to me to work something out, he sent me out the door. That was for a green 09 in May, but he had blue for the same price. Make some calls, it makes a difference.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks, guys. The only bike this local dealer has is the blue, which, with all due respect, I prefer over the green.

Any comments on the price? I ran across a thread in this site where someone was talking about getting a new 09 for around $4,300? Could that be?
Ha! Blue is best and is faster. Frankly I think it is a bit pricey. I bought a used blue 09 v for 4800 out the door (6k) and the new green (slower) V was offered for 5800. But that was in March. You should get a better deal currently.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Is it taboo to comment on price? If not, can someone please comment on the price?
Taboo? Here?

I paid $5350 in Ohio, and that's out the door, including all fees and state sales tax. If you are in northern Indiana, you might want to check Honda East in Maumee, Ohio. They were one of the two dealers I found who were willing to give me that price.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 AM

prices vary and likely are starting t come up as the stock evaporates. I bought in bedford, pa also, but only got 5200 +150 setup, so it cost me 600$ more since some factory incentives had expired. still a pretty good deal, saved 900$ over what i was getting in manassas and locally. Wish i knew bill got that deal, i would have pressed a little harder maybe saved a few hundred more! i'm happy i got the bike i wanted with little extra effort though for a good price.
you don't mention where you are, but if you do i'm sure someone can chime in with where the best deal is near you.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:29 AM

Drevil, hey...sorry about that...please don't be upset. I remember a while back we were talking about how we both purchased from the same place. I didn't state anything about price because I didn't want to be offensive or rude. I did apparently get the incentive for buying in June. The dealer told me that if I didn't purchase by the last day in June that I wouldn't get that deal. I figured that they were just trying to sell it to me quicker or sucker me in, but said the heck with it and bought it then anyway.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode