Versys 650 + Ice/Snow = Excitement. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Versys 650 + Ice/Snow = Excitement.

Most people in DC are afraid to drive in the snow and I'm like ... I better let the engine warm up first.

2.5 miles of fishtailing and sliding ... half the time I was holding my breath, the other half I was laughing!

Michelin PR3's are great tires, but maybe not for snow and ice... With that said, I stayed upright the whole time despite a few close calls.

weljo2001 and my2wheels like this.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Despite some ice-racing when I was (MUCH) younger... you're MUCH braver than I am...!
GiantAntCowboy likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 01-22-2016, 12:12 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
wrap your tire with rope (non-synthetic is best) use zipties to pull it extra tight
GiantAntCowboy likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Old 01-22-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

That's an interesting idea!

Honestly I accepted that I'd probably crash before I even put my helmet on...

People tailgating me was the scariest part,, like there is a 85% chance of me going down and this person is 2 feet off my rear wheel. After flashing my brake lights a bunch they eventually figured it out and backed off

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
Old 01-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
wrap your tire with rope (non-synthetic is best) use zipties to pull it extra tight

This chick shows how she does hers....Skip to 3:20 of the video to see....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJQZL6qrfZ4

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 01-22-2016, 02:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
That's an interesting idea!

Honestly I accepted that I'd probably crash before I even put my helmet on...

People tailgating me was the scariest part,, like there is a 85% chance of me going down and this person is 2 feet off my rear wheel. After flashing my brake lights a bunch they eventually figured it out and backed off
maybe they were going to give you a push for traction

yes im a guy.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
This chick shows how she does hers....Skip to 3:20 of the video to see....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJQZL6qrfZ4
lol yup i know laurie (shes my squealery friend) lol

yes im a guy.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM

This guy also rode in the blizzard in DC.

I did not, currently sitting on about 22 inches and expected to get 8 more today, but I DID discover that my beastly waterproof Tourmaster cold weather overpants make fantastic snow pants for finding the car again after the plow.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
This guy also rode in the blizzard in DC.

I did not, currently sitting on about 22 inches and expected to get 8 more today, but I DID discover that my beastly waterproof Tourmaster cold weather overpants make fantastic snow pants for finding the car again after the plow.
so did ken

yes im a guy.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 PM

Sort of an inevitable ending, wasn't it?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 PM

Garage
next time take yer KLR....

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
next time take yer KLR....

Oh - you mean like THIS...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Old 01-24-2016, 02:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
sure...and when it breaks and gets caught in the chain, the chain derails, wraps the front sprocket, then breaks the sling guard and the oil pipe behind it. when the oil pipe breaks, it usually takes a chunk of the engine case with it. now you need to source a motor because the one in your bike isn't worth rebuilding.

if you insist on being out there, get studded tires.
never had that problem in all my years of riding.... guess im just lucky.
turn8a likes this.

yes im a guy.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:04 PM

Garage
yep, studded tires...

Stoley likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:43 AM

Haha, awesome!!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM

Garage
You couldn't pay me to ride the Versys in this stuff. However I for years I had this on standby for snow days.

[IMG][/IMG]

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
Old 01-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i have ice raced back in the day with home-brewed tires, meaning tires studded with sharpened carriage bolts. you didn't want any body parts to come anywhere near those tires. unbelievable traction on glare ice, but it was like riding a bike with WFO chain saws on both ends. the wrecks were pretty spectacular.
When I ice-raced, we used sheet-metal screws turned into the studs, so it wasn't QUITE as deadly as those, ...and TRACTION...?

After a race on the Ottawa River just E of Hawkesbury, Ontario, when everyone had packed-up and departed, as I lived about five miles away I would ride down and back on my CanAm 400 Qualifier, so I 'fired' it up, pointed it N (the river's about a bit less than half a mile across there) then "wheelied" all the way to the N shore, turned around... and wheelied BACK.

As jdrocks said - traction is awesome, and in corners you'd have your inside foot WAY-Y-Y UP, the handlebar ALMOST touching the ice.

GOOD fun!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Old 01-26-2016, 02:09 PM

Garage
Like this?

ALSO: OP is your bike painted grey?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:39 PM

I can tell you from past experiences that this is a bad idea

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-26-2016, 06:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
You couldn't pay me to ride the Versys in this stuff. However I for years I had this on standby for snow days.

[IMG][/IMG]
mines a 1972 suzuki rv-90(vanvan) that 99% original (only brake ppads and choke cable have been replaced)http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=79057&thumb=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1245905706.shadovvolf_0531091237a.jpg (58.2 KB, 30 views)

yes im a guy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in