Versys Off Road? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Versys Off Road?

Any one ever took their bike off road? how was it ?

savage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassamillion View Post
Any one ever took their bike off road? how was it ?
DON'T DO IT, the Versys is NOT an off-road bike at all. Made for the streets ONLY. Especially the Gen 1 & 2 bikes...........

Anybody that tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about. You could NEVER outfit your bike properly to handle anything more than a gravel road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:30 PM

Just like the fact that it is possible to land an aircraft anywhere - once, you can take your Versys anywhere but perhaps only once. (Tongue firmly placed in cheek).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
DON'T DO IT, the Versys is NOT an off-road bike at all. Made for the streets ONLY. Especially the Gen 1 & 2 bikes...........

Anybody that tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about. You could NEVER outfit your bike properly to handle anything more than a gravel road.
Jeff is correct. He photo shopped the pictures I'll betcha.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 PM

Stunning photos AlaskaJeff even if they are photo shopped.
bwwoodard likes this.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 11:39 PM

Garage
not shopped. looks like Hatcher to me... Fish Hook valley.
AlaskaJeff likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:08 AM

Garage
Versys does just fine offroad, except in deep mud or soft sand. Like pretty much every bike, except specialized ones. Its more about the rider than the bike.
kiko and dddd like this.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM

Just stay away from any logs, rocks, mud, ruts, mud, sand, or anywhere that you would need to stand on the pegs or actually see your front wheel while riding - and you'll be just fine.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:13 PM

Got any action MPEG's (when you hit 6k rpm)? Alaskan still shots are breath taking. MPEG's of riding on those glacier trails would need no words. Drive Safe!

AlaskaJeff likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 02:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Stunning photos AlaskaJeff even if they are photo shopped.
Sorry, NO Photoshopping involved!
Here are a few other ACTUAL pictures of my Versys in various locations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10478810_10202263337850412_1591160438_o.jpg (62.0 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4513.jpg (67.9 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4290.jpg (58.2 KB, 323 views)

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 01-21-2016 at 10:26 PM.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Just stay away from any logs, rocks, mud, ruts, mud, sand, or anywhere that you would need to stand on the pegs or actually see your front wheel while riding - and you'll be just fine.
Really? I can stand on my pegs and see the front tire just fine.....
I do have a set of aftermarket off-road pegs installed though. As for mud and other trail conditions, all you need is a good set of tires and some semi advanced riding skills and you will be fine. Big rocks, logs and other Dual Sport obstacles, SURE there are many other bikes that will handle the rough stuff better. The key is just don't take your bike anywhere YOU or the bike can handle it.

2011 ADVersys

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:19 AM

Garage
ya kawdog.... "Got any action MPEG's (when you hit 6k rpm)? ".. do you? anything close? just sayin'.

" Drive Safe!" ... ya, guessin' thats a joke because 6k on the tach prolly wont work on that road, at least not for long... ya, it's a road.... 100 years ago. there were 4 mines on that road. where the pic is taken was what I think is the Homestake mine, which made it into the about the 1930s. last time I was there was a couple years ago... first time there was about 1973... the road was better then. the "road" as it is now.. not that hard because there is not much mud that high up, but you still have to pay attention. the next road down is Craggy Creek.. I've never made the top of that one but tried a few times on my KLR. actually, don't know anyone that has climbed it all because it is a series of switchbacks that easily gains 1000 feet in short order... seen it kill more than one bike too. I am reminded of "Long way 'Round" when they got to the Road of Bones & were ****tin themselves.... then thinkin about when I was a kid growing up in AK.... that looked a lot like what we called "roads"... as in, thats what roads look like. well, at breakup anyway.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
ya kawdog.... "Got any action MPEG's (when you hit 6k rpm)? ".. do you? anything close? just sayin'.

" Drive Safe!" ... ya, guessin' thats a joke because 6k on the tach prolly wont work on that road, at least not for long... ya, it's a road.... 100 years ago. there were 4 mines on that road. where the pic is taken was what I think is the Homestake mine, which made it into the about the 1930s. last time I was there was a couple years ago... first time there was about 1973... the road was better then. the "road" as it is now.. not that hard because there is not much mud that high up, but you still have to pay attention. the next road down is Craggy Creek.. I've never made the top of that one but tried a few times on my KLR. actually, don't know anyone that has climbed it all because it is a series of switchbacks that easily gains 1000 feet in short order... seen it kill more than one bike too. I am reminded of "Long way 'Round" when they got to the Road of Bones & were ****tin themselves.... then thinkin about when I was a kid growing up in AK.... that looked a lot like what we called "roads"... as in, thats what roads look like. well, at breakup anyway.
Alaska Jeff always has his bike set up immaculate and set up for off-road too. Those are 2 year old pictures of his bike though, and he may have changed it since then. I have not seen any closeups lately except for his rear fender extender (real-close close-up shots.)

The Vs. 650 would be similar to the BMW F650 and they have won countless off-road races. The ONLY main difference would be maybe a 21" front wheel: or at least a 19" front wheel. The 17" front wheel is hard to maneuver on the street at low speeds for me, so I can imagine the 17" front wheel would require great skill off-road.

AK is the real deal in off-roading, and too much for my big a$$ to even consider. I like well maintained streets with banked curves
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

NOPE - can't ride the gen1 Vs off-road (off pavement...).

or THIS might happen to ya....

but then AGAIN - you'd probably NOT see this...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Curious what the consensus here is of riders who have ridden the V with the TKC 80 front tire 120/70-17 and also the TKC 80 sized 130/80-17.

Having ridden both, would you stick to the OEM size or bump up to the 130/80 for more tire height and rim protection? ?
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

My TKC80 was in 120/70 size, unlike my Tourance in 130/80. I WILL put E705s on as next tires on both the '08 and the '15 when necessary, in 120/70 and 150/70 sizes.

I ran the 130/80 front Tourances simply because they weren't available in 120/70, and the BONUS that they LAST, and last....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:15 PM

As far as riding off-road goes, do you ever scrape your exhaust up from rolling over debre? Does it take much abuse? Thanks.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=AlaskaJeff;1049625]DON'T DO IT, the Versys is NOT an off-road bike at all. Made for the streets ONLY. Especially the Gen 1 & 2 bikes...........

Jeff I have to apologize in advance. When I started looking into buying a V I imagined it to have an aggressive off-road look. Started buying parts like the beak/cowl combo, skid plate..etc and in the process I found a pic of yours. They happen to be the same color so mine will look very much like yours aside from a few parts here and there. You did an awesome job and after seeing your pics I don't have to imagine what it will look like when I'm finished. Thanks for sharing!
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:38 PM

Garage
[quote=Joey Rocket Films;1255594]
Quote:

Jeff I have to apologize in advance. When I started looking into buying a V I imagined it to have an aggressive off-road look. Started buying parts like the beak/cowl combo, skid plate..etc and in the process I found a pic of yours. They happen to be the same color so mine will look very much like yours aside from a few parts here and there. You did an awesome job and after seeing your pics I don't have to imagine what it will look like when I'm finished. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words. I am honored to have inspired you. Here is the recent look of my bike. It's always a work in progress.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5594.jpg (157.1 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5595.jpg (97.0 KB, 231 views)

2011 ADVersys

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My TKC80 was in 120/70 size, unlike my Tourance in 130/80. I WILL put E705s on as next tires on both the '08 and the '15 when necessary, in 120/70 and 150/70 sizes.

I ran the 130/80 front Tourances simply because they weren't available in 120/70, and the BONUS that they LAST, and last....
The front 130/80 (in AZ) has OVER 25,000 MILES on it, w/ LOTS left...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
As far as riding off-road goes, do you ever scrape your exhaust up from rolling over debre? Does it take much abuse? Thanks.
Haven't touched MINE yet. The '08 has a skid-plate, the '15 NOT - just the exhaust...!

[quote=Joey Rocket Films;1255594]
Quote:
DON'T DO IT, the Versys is NOT an off-road bike at all. Made for the streets ONLY. Especially the Gen 1 & 2 bikes..............Jeff I have to apologize in advance. When I started looking into buying a V I imagined it to have an aggressive off-road look. Started buying parts like the beak/cowl combo, skid plate..etc and in the process I found a pic of yours. They happen to be the same color so mine will look very much like yours aside from a few parts here and there. You did an awesome job and after seeing your pics I don't have to imagine what it will look like when I'm finished. Thanks for sharing!
Don't miss Jeff's #3 pic.... HIS V like to take "mud-naps"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode