Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - Goldwing to Versys 1000
View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:31 PM
CuddyBuddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Sailor Bill - hats off to you sir. At 65 I sometimes think I'm getting on in years. But I'm just a lightweight compared to you!!

I ride a Gold Wing, and a year ago picked up a 2012 V1000. They are certainly different bikes - but I love 'em both. My plan was to get rid of my Wing. But I couldn't bear to do that. In fact, over Christmas I struck a deal to trade my 2004 337,000 km (205,000 mile) GL1800 for a 2012 GL1800. So my Versys is now on the market. But deep down I hope it doesn't sell, as I like both bikes very much. The Versys for around town, and the Wing for longer hauls.

The point I want to make here is that it is possible to almost "Gold Wingize" your V1000. I've added lots that I had on my Wing, and could ride the Versys all day if needed. With respect to the oem seat (which I didn't care for), I had it rebuilt by Terry's Custom Seats (https://www.terryscustomseats.com/). Terry was highly recommended by members of this board. I also had Terry add a Utopia backrest (remember what I said about Gold Wingizing your V1000?). Haven't ridden it yet, but it feels great sitting on it.

Gold Wingizing included Utopia back rest, highway pegs, center stand (ride off might not be necessary), Doran TPMS, GI Pro gear indicator, Koso heated hand grips, plug-in for Gerbings electric clothes, taller windshield, side and rear cases (with running, brake and signal lights on the top case), fenda extenda, GPS, Barkbuster handguards with LED's, engine guard, rad guard, grip puppies, tank bag

I've thought about cruise control, CB and music. All I've done in that regard is buy an Omni Cruise Control throttle lock.

Good luck in your decision.

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 02-24-2019 at 05:34 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome