Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - Goldwing to Versys 1000
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:03 PM
jspringator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm kind of in the same boat, except I have an ST1100A, and I'm a little bit younger. The ST seems to get heaver every year, but it is still significantly lighter than a Wing, albeit not as well balanced.

I'm wondering about a 4-5 year old FJR. I rode one once and it felt like a toy compared to my ST. A former ST rider who is TALL went from an ST, to an FJR to a Versys 1000. He couldn't get the air management right on the FJR, probably because of his height. At 5'8" I don't have to worry about that. The prices of these bikes are reasonable. Helibars makes some barbacks. I'm not sure of the windshield options, but I know Madstad does not have one listed for it.

I was thinking about a Versys 1000 too, but after reading this I'm not sure it is for me. I have short legs.

I've had my eye on an R1200R. It has the lower center of gravity and cruise. It comes stock as a naked, but Madstad makes a windshield for it, and I've seen an aftermarket fairing for it. Looks like the pistons act as a lower fairing. What I like about it is 500 pounds and a low center of gravity. Of course, It isn't Japanese.

I also have a Versys 300 that I bought last year. My Russell seat came at the end of the riding season, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to ride it. If I am able to use it for semi local day rides, it may be all I need. I can relegate the ST to interstate long haul duty. You may want to consider getting a much smaller bike and keeping the wing for long haul rides.

2017 Versys X300 Russell Sport, Madstad windshield, Moto Werk 1" lowering kit

2008 Honda Goldwing Airbag, Madstad windshield, Russell Day-Long seat (soon!), Helibars.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome