Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - 350 miles on my Versys 300
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
JeffR!1234

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
350 miles on my Versys 300

I have had my Versys 300 for almost 2 weeks now and have 350 miles on it. I remember the first time I saw this bike that I thought it would be a nice one to have. I don't really ride aggressive or do I go on day long rides very often any more, so I thought a 300cc bike would be more than enough. So I chanced buying this bike even though I knew they don't give test rides around here. I have to say that I'm impressed with this bike since it seems to have more than enough power, even for 2 up riding, and gives a very smooth ride. My wife and I have went for some shorter 50 miles rides and it seems to do very well, although we really stayed on roads where the top speed limit was only 55 mph but I did get it up to 65 mph with no problem. My wife and I both say the seat is hard and she was slow to get off of the seat after the last ride, but I have the Kaw High seat on order and it should be here tomorrow, if i'm lucky. I am 6' tall with a 32" inseam an this bike fits me very good, but I would think a person who is only about 5'6" would have a bit of a problem getting on and off.

I have installed an el-cheapo 52L top case that I got from Amazon, a pair of slip-on Hush Puppies (since the stock grips are kind of small for my hands), and also the X-Large CalSci windshield so far. I think the CalSci is a great shield and highly recommend it. They have 4 sizes in all so anyone should be able to find the size they need. It doesn't flex at all and gives me a nice quiet ride which is very important to me, and is buffett free. I expect to have the 15 tooth counter sprocket installed on my 600 mile service the end of next week. I had the risers on order from Amazon but they said that they are on back-order until June, so I will try to find another place to order them.

I find this bike a very high-rev'er but it is still very smooth at the higher rpm's. I have had it up to 9,000 rpm's for just short periods and it had plenty more to go. I came off a Honda CTX700 DCT and they are very low revving bikes so to go from that to this bike is a change, but this bike surprised me with how smooth it is even though it revs pretty high. When they install the 15 tooth sprocket I have read that the rpm's will go down about 500 rpm's so that is good. When I get 600 miles I will start riding it normally and won't really be too concerned about riding at the speed limit on the interstate for longer periods of time. Break-in for the first 600 miles on the X-300 is only 4,000 rpm's which is really only about 40 mph or so. I'm not sure how Kawasaki expects for someone to stay under 4,000 rpm's since it seems you would only be able to ride city streets. From 600-1000 miles you can go up to 6,000 rpm's but that still is not interstate speeds.

But I have to say that I think this is my favorite bike so far. I really liked the CTX700 and Honda has the DCT down to a science and it was a great bike and very smooth as well. I also really liked the Honda Silverwing 600cc scooter I had as well. It is hard to beat the storage and weather protection of a maxi-scooter and it was powerful and smooth as well. I had it up to 104 mph per my gps so that thing would 'scoot'. I think my Versys 300 has the same get-up-and-go as the CTX700 up to about 70 mph but after that the CTX700 would have the edge. But since I'm not an aggressive rider it doesn't really matter to me. As long as a bike can get up to 75 mph in a quick manner that is all I need. The Bay Area traffic goes kind of fast so to be safe on the interstates you really need a bike that can get up to speed quickly to enter the interstates.

But I am still really impressed with the X-300. I really didn't expect a 300cc bike to have the power and smoothness that it has. The clutch is probably by far the easiest clutch I have ever used but you do need to run through the gears pretty quick since it is geared so low. The gas mileage is very good and also has good range for a bike. I would think I should get 250 miles a tank with the kind of riding I do. Well, this is my review for my new Versys X-300. I hope it helps others who are trying to decide if this bike is right for them. The other reviews I read on this site helped me decide and they were very helpful. So if anyone is reading this and has questions please ask away and I will try to give an answer. But I am very, very happy with my new bike.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome