Dual LED low beams? (Doubletronics) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By 16VGTIDave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Dual LED low beams? (Doubletronics)

So I've read many many posts about the subject of having dual low beams and the only consistent answer I've found is using a Doubletronics module (https://www.doubletronics.com/). But, I would also like to convert to LEDs, which I'm guessing wouldn't work with the Doubletronics mod. Having the asymmetrical one-eyed look bugs the hell out of me, as does the ugly yellow incandescent bulbs. Has anyone that uses a Doubletronics mod found LED bulbs that can be "dimmed" to work with it?

I just want to have my cake and eat it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VersysCurses View Post
So I've read many many posts about the subject of having dual low beams and the only consistent answer I've found is using a Doubletronics module (https://www.doubletronics.com/). But, I would also like to convert to LEDs, which I'm guessing wouldn't work with the Doubletronics mod. Having the asymmetrical one-eyed look bugs the hell out of me, as does the ugly yellow incandescent bulbs. Has anyone that uses a Doubletronics mod found LED bulbs that can be "dimmed" to work with it?

I just want to have my cake and eat it too.

I appreciate what you want to do and why. I'd caution you not to attempt the dual low beam for 2 reasons:

Firstly, the high beam reflector and lens were not designed to be a low beam, so you will be dazzling oncoming motorists. This could be dangerous to you.

Secondly, two horizontal lights close together is exactly what a car looks like when it is far away. Only problem is you will be close. This will cause other motorists to turn in front of you as their tiny distracted minds will automatically assume you are a car and they have plenty of distance/time to complete their turn. You will be given ample opportunity to test your reflexes and brakes. This IS dangerous to you.

As for LED headlight bulbs, when you shop your favorite online places, search for "LED H7 F2" (or H11, H4, etc. what ever type of bulb you need). The bulbs have a braided red and black cables with a round connector between the bulb and power supply. The heat sink is round bare aluminum and the bulb can be rotated in the mounting adapter to adjust focus. Often the packaging is yellow. The bulbs are being re-sold and re-branded by many outfits. These are the best bulbs on the market at any price at this time. You won't be disappointed or frustrated with them.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I understand the reflector for the high beam is angled differently and would potentially dazzle oncoming cars, but thought maybe if they could be reduced to 40% output, that may be enough to mitigate this? But maybe not, that's why I asked. I also understand that dual lights could cause us to be confused for a far away car, but honestly I'm not concerned about that. I've had plenty of people turn in front of me with the stock single light. I just assume everyone is going to turn in front of me and make appropriate precautions.

It's frustrating that there doesn't seem to be any options to have what I (and others) are looking for. I've even looked at the complete light replacement assemblies (pricey) by KT motorcycles which sounds great, but even they seem to have the same qualities as stock in terms of how the low/high beams are angled and how they function. Maybe one day someone will have a replacement assembly that allows dual low beams.

EDIT: Another thought; what about adjusting the high beam lower to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic? I know the high beam may not point high enough to be a true "high beam" after that, but I could buy some auxiliary LEDs that would do a better job than the current high beam anyway. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks again.

Last edited by VersysCurses; 05-26-2018 at 02:07 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Led Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersysCurses View Post
Thanks for the reply. I understand the reflector for the high beam is angled differently and would potentially dazzle oncoming cars, but thought maybe if they could be reduced to 40% output, that may be enough to mitigate this? But maybe not, that's why I asked. I also understand that dual lights could cause us to be confused for a far away car, but honestly I'm not concerned about that. I've had plenty of people turn in front of me with the stock single light. I just assume everyone is going to turn in front of me and make appropriate precautions.

It's frustrating that there doesn't seem to be any options to have what I (and others) are looking for. I've even looked at the complete light replacement assemblies (pricey) by KT motorcycles which sounds great, but even they seem to have the same qualities as stock in terms of how the low/high beams are angled and how they function. Maybe one day someone will have a replacement assembly that allows dual low beams.

EDIT: Another thought; what about adjusting the high beam lower to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic? I know the high beam may not point high enough to be a true "high beam" after that, but I could buy some auxiliary LEDs that would do a better job than the current high beam anyway. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks again.
I found a solution, very simple and anyone can do it, it stands out and from the perspective of me looking in my mirrors at someone with the set up, it stand out even in bright sunshine

Led running lights on Bark buster, adds width to the bike, anyone looking in a mirror sees a overall lighted width of 3 feet with a headlight in the center. Also note the Phillips led city lights that are now widely available even at Walmart

white running lights alternate with the signal light, turning off during the OEM signal light on period and also turning the yellow LED Bark buster signal on

My Denali LED added later after riding with a buddy that had a similar setup, really stands out, even in bright sunlight, this is low beam, set to come on once the bike is started, I modified the plug and play SP switch to toggle the high beam, rather than buy the optional high / low beam Dennali switch, as the SP came with the kit, very easy to switch the pins to make it work.

Denali high beam

Denali high beam and my led headlight replacement bulb that gives a terrible pattern, but here it is FYI for those wondering, all photos are with the bike at idle, I have the CompuFire series regulator installed and I use the brake light to trigger the headlight relay, it has happened a few times when I was at the side of the road, started the bike and never touched the brake, so I was driving for possibly 3 KM without a headlight on, since I have the Denali wired to come on immediately, I am no longer concerned. My original reasoning was I rarely put the bike in gear without having the front brake on, but it does happen. The sole reason for using the brake for triggering the headlight relay was to reduce the load on the engine during warm up and also to bring the battery up to full charge. I no longer recommend this in my Polaris regulator conversion post.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-26-2018 at 07:41 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...The sole reason for using the brake for triggering the headlight relay was to reduce the load on the engine during warm up and also to bring the battery up to full charge. I no longer recommend this in my Polaris regulator conversion post....
When the stator failed on my '08 I was able to reduce the load (hitting the starter at idle which turned OFF the headlight) which got me further, but I can't say how FAR, and I was GLAD I could do it....

(Polarus R/R from onewizard.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:52 PM

here is dual bi-xenon projectors with LED angel eyes and LED strips inside the headlight:

chid's new versys 2015

don't put anything that's not made for inside the headlight (HID or LED in a halogen high beam reflector) it will blind the others.
If you really want to change, put a projector inside, with a well defined cut-off.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode