Tank Bag Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By CuddyBuddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tank Bag Question

As I continue to outfit my V1000, next on my list is a tank bag. It seems a tank bag might be advantageous for holding small miscellaneous things, especially on a trip. Two questions. One, do people use tank bags? Are they common, or pretty infrequent? Two, if you do use a tank bag, which one do you recommend. I do not need a bag with a map window on the top, as I have a GPS. But in looking at SW-Motech, GIVI and Kawasaki, I saw a few that were interesting. (Does this Quick-Lock system work?:

• Givi XS319 XStream TankLock Tank Bag
• Givi MT505 Metro-T Tanklock Tank Bag
• SW-Motech Quick-Lock ION one Tank Bag - BC.TRS.00.201.10000
• SW-Motech Quick-Lock ION two Tank Bag - BC.TRS.00.202.10000
• SW-MOTECH EVO Micro QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 2.5-5L
• SW-MOTECH EVO Daypack QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 5-9L

As always, TIA!!

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 11-14-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy View Post
As I continue to outfit my V1000, next on my list is a tank bag. It seems a tank bag might be advantageous for holding small miscellaneous things, especially on a trip. Two questions. One, do people use tank bags? Are they common, or pretty infrequent? Two, if you do use a tank bag, which one do you recommend. I do not need a bag with a map window on the top, as I have a GPS. But in looking at SW-Motech, GIVI and Kawasaki, I saw a few that were interesting. (Does this Quick-Lock system work?:

• Givi XS319 XStream TankLock Tank Bag
• Givi MT505 Metro-T Tanklock Tank Bag
• SW-Motech Quick-Lock ION one Tank Bag - BC.TRS.00.201.10000
• SW-Motech Quick-Lock ION two Tank Bag - BC.TRS.00.202.10000
• SW-MOTECH EVO Micro QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 2.5-5L
• SW-MOTECH Type 140 EVO Tank Bag QUICK-LOCK Bottom Tank Ring

As always, TIA!!
I would look for a tank bag that uses a tank ring attachment system as it is best. Both Givi and SW-Motech make bags of this type. I use my tank bag most frequently to purchase a coffee and store it on the way into work. It never spills. On rides I use it to store an extra clear/tinted visor, bottle of water, or anything that I need quick access to.

In most cases that map window is useless for your phone or GPS. This is because my phone overheats when I stick it in the air tight pocket in hot weather and shuts down. Also the touch screen does not work. It's OK for occasional use in cold to middle temps but not much else. Much better alternative is a RAM X Mount for your phone.

Suggest Givi XS320 or 602 models or similar fitting SW-Motech models like city model. Not all tank bags fit the Versys, some will interfere with handle bar movement. Consult Twisted Throttle site for SW-Motech bags that fit Versys.

https://emlineamoto.com seems to have great prices.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-14-2017 at 02:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM

I've had many tank bags over the years; I can't live without them. I've got a SW-M quick-lock Ion bag on my Gen3 V650, which is the first gas cap mounted bag I've ever owned. The mounting system is working great for me so far.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:01 PM

I bought a chepo one on ebay for $14 that was magnetic just to try it out before buying a good one. You might consider that route, see if it is for you and then buy something nice.

I love having it, just to keep the spare junk like glasses, ear buds, a few bungy cords, garage door opener that sort of thing. Ill probably upgrade to one that mounts on the gas tank ring. That seems to be the best solution I have looked at.
Duffy likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 10:11 AM

I am using the SW-MOTECH EVO Daypack Quick-Lock tank bag/5-9L and it works well on the V1K. I have used this bag for a few years on several bikes and holds as much as I need it to and I like the bag. It clears the handlebars at full lock with no problem. The lock ring plate on the bag comes not mounted and you have to pick location you want place it on the bag I had to place it to the most forward point on the bag (you have to drill holes where you want it) as seen in pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (55.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (56.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (53.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (51.2 KB, 81 views)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks TG. I'm riding to the distributor this week to see which tank bag I like best on my bike. I've narrowed it down to Micro, Daypack and City. All Quick-Lock.

Being new to Versys, I really like this board. The info I've received over the last few weeks has been very helpful in determining which add-ons to put on the bike.

Paul
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
SW-Motech Daypack

Thank you everybody for your input on tankbags. They all have their pros and cons, depending on how it will be used, needs, etc. I ended up choosing the SW-Motech Daypack Quick-lock SW-MOTECH EVO Daypack QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 5-9L - TwistedThrottle.ca.

I also decided to get the SW-MOTECH Tankring Anti-Theft Device SW-MOTECH Locking Pin Zipper Lock Kit for SW-MOTECH EVO Tank Bags - TwistedThrottle.ca
onewizard likes this.

Paul
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
I had to place it to the most forward point on the bag
That's exactly where I ended up placing my Daypack.

Paul
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:22 AM

How about your review on the SW-MOTECH Tankring anti-theft device that you got.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
How about your review on the SW-MOTECH Tankring anti-theft device that you got.
Hi TG;

I haven't used it yet, but for $25 or whatever it cost, even if I just use it once I'll be happy. A metal post simply slides through a hole you drill into the floor of the tankbag, disabling the pull cord that is used to remove the Quick-lock tankbag.

I don't want to lose the tankbag, of course. But I'd be more upset losing the contents of the tankbag should it get stolen.

Paul

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 11-27-2017 at 04:17 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy View Post
Hi TG;

I haven't used it yet, but for $25 or whatever it cost, even if I just use it once I'll be happy. A metal post simply slides through a hole you drill into the floor of the tankbag, disabling the pull cord that is used to remove the Quick-lock tankbag.

I don't want to lose the tankbag, of course. But I'd be more upset losing the contents of the tankbag should it get stolen.
I looked at that, my solution was to put a stainless screw that came with the kit, it appears to be part of the mounting, only problem is you need to pull it out , same as your lock to gas up. I only use it if I am leaving the bike in a area unsupervised and in that case the contents go into my top box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode