Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

FZ07 owner here thinking of the X-300 - test ride anyone?

7K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  frk2 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I've had (and love) my FZ-07 for a couple years now and done some crazy ass trips on it (cross country, camping, etc) - pretty much everything the FZ wasn't made for. I love the bike, it feels a little weird loaded up with my camping stuff and my backpacking bag but it still pulls like thunder. When I saw the X300 I was like damn this bike has everything I want however my dealer says that it'll be a terrible downgrade. Since I can't seem to get a test drive (i'm in the bay area) im wondering about the following:

1. Low speed suspension and comfort. The FZ suspension (I have aftermarket stuff) works awesomely above 90mph :) - at normal speeds my ass feels every single bump in the road. How is the X300 here? This is honestly my biggest biggest gripe
2. Vibration. My FZ cruises at 6000 rpm @ 85mph all day with minimal vibrations and can easily pull way way more if need be.
3. Power. The FZ is borderline dangerous here - curious how slow the X300 would be. I barely pull the throttle on the FZ anyways so not a speed junkie by any means but still its nice to have that
4. How will the X300 be with fully loaded saddle bags, a large givi case in the back and some added **** like tent+sleeping bag thrown on there? Anybody tried this?

I'll be willing to pay someone good money for a test ride - lets say $100? Alternatively we can switch and you can ride my modified FZ-07 :) I'm in the bay area (near oakland). Any takers?

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys. So here's the thing: unless the x300 is really slow I think I would care about the other stuff more. I hardly push my fz 07 since at half throttle it seems very unstable and at full it's basically wheelie time :) so unless the x 300 becomes a hazard (won't get to 80mph, impossible to pass cars on the highway, etc) I think I would be fine.

My primary use has become motorcycle camping for the fz anyways. I wanna be able to do some dirt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Versys 650 is much heavier. Im trying to move towards lighter bikes. I'm okay with sacrificing power for some other awesomeness ;)

I tried the 650. It was good but didn't "fit" as well as my fz or the 300. Light bikes like the 300 or the fz really get me going :)

I might decide to keep both bikes for different occasions :)

#6 ·
I moved from the Versys 650 to the FZ07. I set it up for touring and it is a capable sport touring bike.

You will be disappointed with the x300 if you are going to load it up and expect to go fast for hours on end. It is not much lighter than the FZ07.

If you want to tour back roads and dirt roads, then maybe it will work for you. If you are 150 lbs or less, it might work for you.

Here is a link to my FZ07. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...cussion/108178-yamaha-fz-07-light-tourer.html

Hopefully Yamaha will bring the fj07 to the states on day.

#7 · (Edited)
I moved from the Versys 650 to the FZ07. I set it up for touring and it is a capable sport touring bike.
Hmm I thought the same when I bought the FZ - I've added a givi case, a large madstat windscreen, Got a penske 8983 rear shock, Cartridge retrofits on the forks. Tried many seats but I can never make this thing comfortable. The problem is that the bike just feels a bit unstable and extremely uncomfortable. I can tell you the location of every tiny pothole and bump in ALL of california :) What suspension mods do you have? My ass/back hate anything over an hour riding on this thing and I'm only 37 and it good health/shape!

So what was the main reason behind your 650->FZ07 switch? I'm assuming the 650/300 handle air flow, comfort better in a light platform than the FZ. That clutch on the 300 seems like pure bliss!

The X300 feels MUCH lighter than the FZ fueled up. Dont get me wrong - I love the weight distro on the FZ, but the X300 honestly felt better and more comfortable. Hence I'm looking for a test ride! :)

#12 ·
#14 ·
I've been researching similar things - I love my 650, but I want to be able to do some backwoods camping. Definitely look at the offroad and moto camping videos of any model you're considering. Some really surprising bikes (e.g. NC700x ) can be reasonable if all you're trying to do is get to a camp site. Then again, you're camping an FZ-07, so I'm preaching to the choir :)

I've learned that 'off-road' contains quite a few different types of riding and therefore needs/wants. Motocross, trail riding, adventure, even ice racing. Always try to figure out where a reviewer is coming from, because if somebody is evaluating a bike coming from a perspective that is not relevant to you, their review won't be useful. I've read the V300 getting slammed by dirt riders for being a pig, but next to your FZ it's lighter :) You seem to have a similar wish list to mine: capable on moderate off road, good under load, has highway power, relatively light (compared with 500lb+ adventure bikes, not compared to dirt bikes), cheap to own and operate.

The CRF250L Rally and the Versys 300 seem like the closest fits. Both can cruise at 70 and max out at 95+, are capable off road, have wind protection, and wouldn't kill me to pick up off the side of the road. I haven't seen many camping / under load videos for either of them, but there are some videos from Southeast Asia of the V crossing riverbeds and such. The biggest differences to me are the higher suspension travel on the CRF250L and the much larger gas tank on the Versys.

CRF250L Rally off road doing the most technical riding I'd ever care to try:
Versys X 300 hitting some beat up trails:
Versys X 300 on more off road:

It looks like you're going to do some trade offs no matter what you pick - torque, max speed, load capability/suspension, wind protection, weight, cost. A lot of the off-road reviews seem to think Husqvarna and KTM as the gold standards, but they're probably over engineered for most camping trips. Also look at Youtube videos of moto camping and people's setups. I've seen a lot of people doing pretty amazing things on the TW200, e.g. . The TW200 won't do the speeds you need (maxes at 65), but it's an awesome little donkey.

After watching people in SE Asia using damned near any motorcycle to do damned near anything, I think people in the US are too fussy about performance. Where there's a will, there's a way, and you get that. It sounds like you'd be fine with a Versys 300. Best of luck!

#20 ·
After watching people in SE Asia using damned near any motorcycle to do damned near anything, I think people in the US are too fussy about performance. Where there's a will, there's a way, and you get that. It sounds like you'd be fine with a Versys 300. Best of luck!
I do agree - however some power on cali highways where everyone is going 85mph does help! But I do feel that though the FZ has a ton of power, I use not more that 25% throttle on average.

#18 ·
Thanks dude - I already have tried it! (they let you test the 650/1000 but not the 300 _yet_). I like the 650 but I felt the weight coming from the FZ. Weight is my number one problem. Otherwise it was fine - Unclear on how it is on bumpy bay area roads? Do your teeth chatter and your spine feel like you need ipubrofen after an hour of riding?

#21 · (Edited)
FZ07 to VX300

I'll add my 2 cents, since I have first hand experience and own(owned) both the FZ07 and the Versys X300

I went the similar route as you on the FZ. Upgraded it's crap-tacular stock suspension, fit stickier tires and turned it into my canyon/track bike. It was my only street bike at the time and wanted to do everything on it. Commuted, track days, gymkhana class, moto-camped, etc. It was very versatile in fact that you could pack your camping gear on the back of it, camp out near a track of your choice, participate in a track day, pack your gear and ride home. I logged half a dozen multi-day camp trips on the FZ without a hitch, at times having to traverse rock strewn fire roads to get to our campsite.

Unfortunately for the FZ and the start of its demise was when I stumbled onto a great deal for used BMW S1000R premium with 300mi on the clock, which I impulsively purchased. I had both bikes and the little FZ started to get more neglected cause the Beemer did all what the FZ could do with more urgency and refinement. I even took it on a camping trip to see how it would fair. It was perfect other then the fact that I rode ultra conservatively on dirt roads to avoid dropping it.

I ride and own dirtbikes also and started looking for an adventure bike to compliment my quiver. To gain knowledge and experience, I proceeded to test ride most of the 1000cc+ ADV offerings and was blown away with their performance. I was sold on acquiring one of them in the near future. But, then I asked myself, what would I honestly do with this adventure bike? I came to the conclusion that it would be a means to get me to not be afraid to drop the bike with the ability to pick it back up. It needs to be economic in the amount of money it takes to own and operate the bike and it needs to be reliable and basically bullet proof. Which narrowed it down to a couple of those behemoth bikes. Till I read a review on the little Versys X300 which opened my mind. I went to my local Kawi dealer to see one in person. Just sitting on it in the showroom floor and bouncing around sold me. It's suspension is decently sorted, the ergos are comfy, it uses Kawi's bulletproof 300 and it's under $6k brand new OTD. Which is less then half the price of the other offerings.

I took it home a day later and found out a few things. The ubiquitous comment about the seat being hard and needing to rev it out was all true. But, that was all very fixable and it is the perfect bike that I was looking for. It's light, agile, frugal, great wind protection, minimal engine heat transferring to your body, etc. There are a few things that I have done to alleviate some of my nits, like replaced the front sprocket with a +1 tooth, added heated grips, brush guards, throttle lock, and a center stand. I may invest in a pannier system and crash protection in the future. But in the meanwhile, I've just bungied my 50L backpack to the back with all my camping gear and I'm good for a week.

I have just recently sold my FZ and as much as I loved that bike. It showed me what I wanted to do on a motorcycle is so diverse that I needed separate ones to allow me to enjoy it to the max.

So, long way 'round to answer your questions:

1. Suspension is well sorted stock. I'm 175lbs in my bday suit, I've adjusted the preload 1 notch firmer from stock. I can scape pegs in corners with stock tires on the VX300, not in my bday suit. I've actually scraped the shifter and brake lever on the dang thing and it keeps impressing me. Normal riding is comfortable and I've taken it on more technical fireroads with rock fields the size of small melons and drop offs and although it didn't handle it like a dirtbike with 10+ inches of travel, I wasn't scared or too concerned about it and it came out unscathed.

2. It's vibey, but not too vibey. Kinda in the lines of my S1000R with a high frequency vibration. But it lessens at higher revs. I notice it, but I'm not frustratingly annoyed with it. If I need a break from it, I use my throttle lock.

3. It's got half the power of the FZ07. It has enough power to do all the things you need it to do without the excess. It'll pull cleanly and consistently in 6th gear from 65 to 80mph if you need to over take. But, if you are looking to have a torque monster like the FZ, look elsewhere.

4. The most I've loaded it down with so far is me in full riding gear and a 40lb back pack, edit: I've ridden it with my wife on the bike. You can reach freeway speeds fine. But the best part of it is when you get to the part where you ride off tarmac and feel how light and willing this bike is to go explore.

I'd be willing to take your offer of the $100 if you're ever in Cerritos, CA... haha!!

Cheers and good luck with the hunt,
Giger

#25 ·
I'll add my 2 cents, since I have first hand experience and own(owned) both the FZ07 and the Versys X300

I have just recently sold my FZ and as much as I loved that bike. It showed me what I wanted to do on a motorcycle is so diverse that I needed separate ones to allow me to enjoy it to the max.

Giger

:) I got into the multiple bike syndrome 11 years ago. When I started riding you could have one bike that easily converted into what you needed at the time. Wanted to go cross country? Bolt on a Windjammer Fairing and Hard Saddle bags, etc. Go to the track? Strip it down. Cruise around town? Put pull back handlebars and a stepped seat on it.

Now every bike has a specialty. As your riding wants change, new bikes enter the stable and old bikes leave. You are only limited by your wallet and your desire to try something else.

I have had as many as 8 in the garage at one time and that was quite overwhelming. 3 is really a doable number but I have room for 6 so I always end up with 6. I need to stay off craigslist and cycletrader. :)

Currently, my lightest bike is around 200lbs and my heaviest over 900lbs. What I do on the 200lb bike I wouldn't think of on the 900lb and vice versa.

My only beef that having to register multiple bikes when I can only ride one at a time. We should be able to just get a plate that we move from bike to bike and the plate tracks to us and not the vehicle.

#22 ·
Gigero - thanks man I think you get exactly where im coming from. I wish you were closer! Would have definitely taken you up on that.

So happens that I randomly, for no apparent reason, stumbled into a BMW dealership and test rode a f800GT and a F700GS. WOW! Mind blown to BITS. These bikes are a bit heavy but damn they are SO AMAZINGLY balanced that they feel lighter than the FZ. Sure they are slower, but they are smooth as hell and the suspension is amazingly sorted. My ass and back were instantly happy. Now im thinking on the same lines - maybe think about a 800GT / F700GS for normal every day riding and then pickup something like the X300 for fun stuff. These bikes were SO so different than the FZ that I think im done with trying to do performance improvements for now. Decisions, decisions..

#23 ·
Dude, seriously, Beemers are the sh!t...
The S1000R is my first foray drinking the Beemer koolaid and it's tasting pretty damn good!!
I'm only 6000 miles in, but if it keeps going at this pace, they've won over a future R1200RT owner, haha!!

Back to the VX300. You may have 2 rides too close to the same discipline if you go F700GS and Versys 300. One may get neglected. May I suggest that you keep the FZ and make it a bike that you can track/canyon ride confidently. Turn it into a bike you want to be a hooligan on and hone your knee dragging skills... And if you do decide to go VX300/F700GS/VStrom650/Africa Twin/KTM Adventure 1090R it'll be a bike that fills a niche the other one doesn't. Then you can ride the bike that suits your mood for the day or the trip.

You definitely have some decisions to make, which is a good place to be.

#24 ·
The thing is that I almost never go canyon carving or on the track so I'm gonna get the f700gs and then probably sell the fz! Will think about the 300x later in that case since the f700gs is kinda worth two bikes!

#27 ·
Just to add my .02, I have both bikes and I have to say that the vx300 is quite impressive given its decent specs. They are 2 different bikes but given the choice, I'd give up my fz-07 if I had to have one over the other. Of course, power wise you'll feel the difference but handling, the vx300 feels so L,anted even with the 19 in front tire. It feels just like a tall ninja 300 (which I also have). Where the vx300 shines is its agility not only in the street but also when you start exploring some fire roads and dirt trails. It's no real dual sport, mind you, but it can handle a bit of semi rough terrain if needed. Check it out.

All in all, I'm very happy with the vx300 as a whole package and wouldn't consider it that much of a downgrade from the fz. Cheers!

#28 ·
Thanks guys. All great info. I'm gonna try the f700gs again one more time and decide if I wanna get the f700gs first and then worry about the 300 at a later time! But I think the fz is sadly going anyways. Seems like I have passed that point in life rather quickly :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.