Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Nashcat
  • 1 Post By Streethawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
G2 Throttle Tamer

Iíve had the 1000 LT for almost a month, and the first thing I noticed about the bike was how snatchy the throttle was, coming off idle. Well, this week I installed a G2 Throttle Tamer sleeve, and not only did it help low speed maneuvering, but it helped smooth out the transition at all speeds. I especially noticed the difference when applying throttle when exiting a curve. Much smoother roll on, with less chain jerk.

About a 30 minute install.

Ride Safe
quexpress and jaaklucas like this.

Waitiní on the boatman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
what year is your bike? there's a lot more to be fixed in the eCU besides what the throttle tamer can do.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 05:32 PM

I have bought a throttle tamer myself. Can you tell me about the installation please?

Thanks!

Dale

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
what year is your bike? there's a lot more to be fixed in the eCU besides what the throttle tamer can do.

Itís a 2015.

Installation involves removing the original grip. Remove the 2 Phillips screws holding the switch housing together. Separate the housing, remove the throttle cables from the old tube and connect them to the new tube. Adjust cable slack and replace grip.

Waitiní on the boatman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Mine is also a 2015.

The issues you're having aren't solved by the throttle tamer. The TT is smoother internally than the stock throttle tube, but the ramping effect is unneccessary. The real problem is the deceleration fuel cut in the ECU. What it does is shut off fuel flow when the throttle is closed, and then the fuel comes on suddenly when the throttle is re-opened. This is what the throttle tamer is trying to cover up, by opening off a closed throttle more slowly. It doesn't address the root cause. Also the low rpm lean surge is an issue, and the throttle tamer can't help with that at all.

BTW, full disclosure, I build ECU flashes.

Steve

Last edited by Steve in Sunny Fl; 03-10-2020 at 08:15 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@Steve in Sunny Fl

I hate to argue with you, but the Throttle Tamer did solve MY issue. Youíre correct that the mapping isnít perfect, but the bike is now working fine, for me. In the last few years, Iíve used throttle tamers on 2 bikes, as well as having 3 other bikes flashed. Ainít my first rodeo.

Waitiní on the boatman

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 11:54 PM

Worked for my 650

I bought a lightly used 2017 650 LT. I knew right away that my throttle was going to be a handful in the kind of traffic I see. First mod was a G2 tamer, never having heard of them before, but knowing something had to give. Very happy. Spent a good 15 minutes or so rolling at a walking pace if at all, on a major highway yesterday. Would have hated every bit of it if I had to keep searching for that tiny bit of throttle movement where I wasnít jerking backwards or forwards in the saddle. Instead I got to think about how lucky I was to be riding on a lovely March day.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcat View Post
Itís a 2015.

Installation involves removing the original grip. Remove the 2 Phillips screws holding the switch housing together. Separate the housing, remove the throttle cables from the old tube and connect them to the new tube. Adjust cable slack and replace grip.
Thanks for the info!

Dale
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
G2 TT installation on my 2015 V650 was unsuccessful. I was unable to close the switch housing using the required torque on the screws (per the service manual).

My G2 rep was very helpful in my troubleshooting efforts. They reviewed all of my video and photo documentation regarding the fitment issues and my attempted solutions. They even sent a different cam for me to try. Unfortunately all to no avail.

I wasn't willing to leave the switch housing even slightly open (risking exposure to the elements) so I abandoned the mod 😞 G2 was really cool about it and gave me a full refund.

If I keep the V650 (considering a VFR1200X) then I plan to have the ECU flashed. It seems to be the ideal electronic fix versus the mechanical band aid. Ymmv notwithstanding 😉
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by Streethawk; 03-17-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode