heated grips and lowering links - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By kballowe
  • 2 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up heated grips and lowering links

so about a week ago, i installed a pair of oxford heated grips on my 2018 V1000. not bad at all. biggest issues were 1) determining the best way to route the wires forward from the battery; 2) determining the best place to mount the controller.
all said and done, the controller turns itself off, making the connections as simple as can be. i mounted the controller on the left mirror handlebar mounting bolt. tucked all the excess wiring between the forks with tie wraps. where else did others mount the controller?

soupy's lowering links also now installed. i have to reattach some small mostly cosmetic pieces to finish the job up. but i noticed a couple of things i thought i'd run by the group here...

1) soupy's instructions said to not adjust the link before putting it on, so i didnt. but.....it was about 1/2" longer than stock, lowering the bike i think about 1/2" at the seat. any idea why they would come longer right off the bat?
2) soupy's said to use red loctite when reattaching removed bolts. according to the loctite site, 'red' requires heat for removal. some pieces are plastic and some i worry about paint damage from heat. any thoughts?

overall, a success with both. the links dont much affect the lean angle when on the side stand, a major concern. yet the center stand is definitely just a bit harder to roll/lift the bike onto.

now on to the front fork corresponding adjustment. any thoughts about the easiest, best way to adjust these to match the lowered rear end?

...... jim

Last edited by funflyingguy; 03-26-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:01 AM

I think the red loctite suggestion was for the adjustable link. I'm not sure which fasteners that you're talking about but do not use red loctite on body panel fasteners or most other stuff, either. I keep some "red" in the toolbox, but nearly never use it.

My Soupy's link lowered the bike an inch, right out of the box - and so I just left it at that.

To lower the front fork tubes, you should have a spotter, or support the bike so that it cannot tip over. Measure how much sticks out the top of the triple tree right now, and then add an inch or so. The fork tubes are tapered, so you can only get about an inch, maybe a little more. Do one at a time.

Once both the front and rear are lowered, you'll need to do something about the side stand.

Some of the British guys were buying a kit of some sort, but I've not seen it.

You can cut some off of your existing side stand and weld a larger foot back on, which is what I did. You can get a factory replacement side stand for less than $100 if it gets totally hosed.

You know you wanna.....

So, yes, I AM starting a "collection" of side stand cut-offs.

funflyingguy likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 03-27-2019 at 07:21 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
great advice for the front fork lowering. i have a good friend just itching to help me work on the bike ! LOL....

i ended up using the loctite blue and only on the bolts that had some thread lock on them from the factory. i agree; did not use anything on the plastic fasteners. i was surprised at how many parts i have to move or remove to get the old links and their bolts out. years ago did this to my vstrom 1000. it was hugely easier to do that bike, but the mufflers were outside and high on it...

thanks kballowe.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 AM

By the way, NEVER get loctite near a windscreen. The fumes will crack the plastic.
This seems pretty far-fetched, but there are threads on a couple of other forums about this very thing.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
so another question for you kballowe: after you put on soupy's lowering link, but before you lowered the front end, did you ride the bike to see how it handled?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyingguy View Post
so another question for you kballowe: after you put on soupy's lowering link, but before you lowered the front end, did you ride the bike to see how it handled?
Yes. It was a bit more relaxed on the interstate. So, a little bit less "turn-in" at the front. Other than that, no issue.

hahahaha there are some that fret over 1/4" inch difference on one end or the other - but I guess they never rode a fat girl on the back to discover a REAL difference in geometry.

quexpress and funflyingguy like this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i'm with ya! funny! thanks again!

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode