• 1 Post By Ketch
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sprockets Change on the Versys 1000

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'll be interested in your opinion after a few tanks, Speedo correction? Also how does it affect the miles to empty?
I'm still itching for my own v1k.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
I'll be interested in your opinion after a few tanks, Speedo correction? Also how does it affect the miles to empty?

Not my video. It belongs to this guy...https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3R...nSjdnGDVVrIarg
Shibumik likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had a 2011 Ninja 1000. Same motor as the V-1000. I switched to a 16 tooth front sprocket and loved it. Dropped the freeway speed rpm down about 500 rpm and fixed the speedo error.

That front sprocket nut was a real bear. You must have a good quality half inch impact. I ended up taking the bike to a shop where the guy had a good impact and the nut came right off.

I recently installed new sprockets and chain on my V-650 and the front sprocket nut is a royal PITA on it too. Fortunately my son in law owns a quality half inch impact. I borrowed it and the nut was no match for it's torque.

You will enjoy your new gear ratio.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:46 AM

Garage
Are you changing just the front sprocket, or both the front and back? I just ordered a 16/42 from JT to replace the 15/43. I too am curious about how this will mess up the computer readings. Does anyone know if there are computer settings that can be modified to reflect this change?

The Versys engine is simply geared too low; a perfect candidate for a 7-speed transmission IMHO.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
I keep hearing riders here searching for speed correction. My 2016 650LT is off by 2-3 mph at all speeds (from 25 mph all the way to 105 mph). Thiis is pretty accurate in my book, unless my GPS speed is off too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:38 PM

Garage
I have ordered new sorockets (16/42) and will be getting them installed in a few weeks.

Currently on my V1k, here are some performance specs based on my driving style and experience running 93 octane fuel. I am carrying a Drybag 600 with about 100 lbs of gear. No pillion.

At highway speeds of 70-75 mph, my rpms are ~4250 and ~4400 respectively, ~48 mpg.

At highway speeds of 55-60 mph, my rpms are ~3400 rpm, ~51.4 mpg.

I will tell you how these stats change with the new sprockets installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E12A982E-1DBD-4FA5-A67C-11BD91C09E20.jpg (27.0 KB, 9 views)

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?

Last edited by Shibumik; 08-06-2018 at 10:27 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 AM

Garage
After further research, I see others that have made this sprocket change have experienced issues with the gear indicator reading a gear higher after second gear. I think I will pass for now on it for now. Being pretty OCD, that would annoy me to death.

Thanks to all who have performed or explored this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
I have ordered new sprockets (16/42) and will be getting them installed in a few weeks.

Currently on my V1k, here are some performance specs based on my driving style and experience running 93 octane fuel. I am carrying a Drybag 600 with about 100 lbs of gear. No pillion.

At highway speeds of 70-75 mph, my rpms are ~4250 and ~4400 respectively, ~48 mpg.

At highway speeds of 55-60 mph, my rpms are ~3400 rpm, ~51.4 mpg.

I will tell you how these stats change with the new sprockets installed.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Garage
Question rear sprocket change only, or both?

hi all,

my 2018 1000LT has about 1300 miles on it now. but i really dont care at all for the extremely low gearing of it and dont expect my opinion will change much.

i see that stock the front/rear tooth count is 15/43. in my searches here, havent found alot of feedback for which makes more sense to change. i'm leaning towards the rear sprocket only and reducing it to a 42 or 41 tooth (roughly 2.5 - 4.6% reduction). thats roughly the equivalent of 1.5 - 2.0 inches. (increasing the front by 1 tooth is about a 6.6% increase and more that i think i want for now...)
not sure much that would affect the chain adjustments. FYI: the speedo/mileage change doesnt bother me at all, with this small a change.

first hand experience with this change is what i'm hoping for. any out there?

thanks all....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyingguy View Post
hi all,

my 2018 1000LT has about 1300 miles on it now. but i really dont care at all for the extremely low gearing of it and dont expect my opinion will change much.

i see that stock the front/rear tooth count is 15/43. in my searches here, havent found alot of feedback for which makes more sense to change. i'm leaning towards the rear sprocket only and reducing it to a 42 or 41 tooth (roughly 2.5 - 4.6% reduction). thats roughly the equivalent of 1.5 - 2.0 inches. (increasing the front by 1 tooth is about a 6.6% increase and more that i think i want for now...)
not sure much that would affect the chain adjustments. FYI: the speedo/mileage change doesnt bother me at all, with this small a change.

first hand experience with this change is what i'm hoping for. any out there?

thanks all....
I have a 2016 1000..I changed the rear from 43 to 41. Much happier at highway speeds, didnít notice a huge difference in acceleration.
funflyingguy likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch View Post
I have a 2016 1000..I changed the rear from 43 to 41. Much happier at highway speeds, didnít notice a huge difference in acceleration.
good to know.

did you notice any difference in when you changed gears after a stop?

did you have much change in adjusting your chain with the smaller sprocket?

.... jim
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
good to know.

did you notice any difference in when you changed gears after a stop?

did you have much change in adjusting your chain with the smaller sprocket?

.... jim
Virtually no change from a stop. I also have the G2 throttle tamer tube installed so it is very smooth.
You will notice some difference in chain adjustment, but itís not drastic. I have 12k miles now and only had to adjust once since the sprocket change.
funflyingguy likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:40 PM

Garage
excellent. thanks ketch!

i see a 41 tooth sprocket coming soon!

did you go with aluminum or steel?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Won't hijack this thread but...I don't care what anyone says, that front sprocket nut being on that tight is ridiculous. Kawasaki needs to rectify this immediately.
funflyingguy likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
i appreciate that feedback too, about the front sprocket. i read that on here, which is why i was aiming to do the rear instead. plus.... with 43 teeth on the rear, changing 1 tooth in either direction is a smaller (more controllable) change. on the front, 1 tooth is about a 6.6% change...

i must say though, that i expected a 2 tooth decrease on the rear to change the shift points some. but thats why i asked for someone who has tried and knows...

Last edited by funflyingguy; 05-16-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
excellent. thanks ketch!

i see a 41 tooth sprocket coming soon!

did you go with aluminum or steel?
Steel
funflyingguy likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...did you go with aluminum or steel?
Aluminum sprockets WEAR-OUT very quickly.
funflyingguy likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode