• 1 Post By bnucci24
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By bnucci24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1000 Brake caliper heat shields?

Updating
I got the wrong parts in the right box off Amazon so the Galfer 1371 are correct for 2015 Versys 1000LT. I was sent a Galfer with 1375KBA61197 and 103-71-0181 barely visible. Ceramic sintered but can't find what they would fit.
Thank you
Brian

Hi Guys
Looking for info on the rear brake caliper heat shield piece that is between the caliper piston and the pads. I rebuilt the rear brake cylinder as I think I jammed corrosion in there pushing the piston back to put my rear wheel back on. Seemed like it was dragging pretty bad even without the chain attached.

I have some EBC FA174HH but they don't supply the heat shield part that has a white sheet under the steel part with clip ons.
I can't find this part listed anywhere so maybe it comes on the OEM pads if you want to pay ~ $65 a pair.
Yes I will move the old ones over but would like to have an option to put all new parts in since its rebuilt.
Thanks Much
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oem pads.JPG (19.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3072.jpg (83.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3074.jpg (55.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg brake clip.JPG (12.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by bnucci24; 01-26-2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: bad info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnucci24 View Post
Hi Guys

Looking for info on the rear brake caliper heat shield piece that is between the caliper piston and the pads. I rebuilt the rear brake cylinder as I think I jammed corrosion in there pushing the piston back to put my rear wheel back on. Seemed like it was dragging pretty bad even without the chain attached.

Plan was to replace rear pads since the piston was clean so it could be pushed in while spotless to fit new pads. Galfer lists the wrong ones 1371 for the 2015 Versys 1000LT.

I have some EBC FA174HH but they don't supply the heat shield part that has a white sheet under the steel part with clip ons.

I can't find this part listed anywhere so maybe it comes on the OEM pads if you want to pay ~ $65 a pair.

Yes I will move the old ones over but would like to have an option to put all new parts in since its rebuilt.

Thanks Much

Brian

Shown should be OEM pads drawing then the Galfer 1371 (which seem to be for the 650?) shown with the EBC then the Galfer incorrect ones alone.
That's an anti squeal shim. You can use contact cement or rtv in its place if you have brake noise.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 07:59 PM

52degrees is right. The squeal is caused from vibration between the caliper and the pads. you can put a thin layer of RTV on the back of the pads, let it dry, then install the pads. They also make a brake pad anti squeal compound. https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...fr=sfp&iscqry=
52Degrees likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
52degrees is right. The squeal is caused from vibration between the caliper and the pads. you can put a thin layer of RTV on the back of the pads, let it dry, then install the pads. They also make a brake pad anti squeal compound. https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...fr=sfp&iscqry=
Thanks very much guys!
I was reading conflicting data that this slotted metal and white shim combo was to block heat from the pads from entering the piston and heating up the caliper and fluid, which seemed reasonable as "they" sell Titanium shims that claim to block the heat but perhaps that was a Porsche site...
I do remember in the old days we used to just put some type of specific stuff on car pads when 002 Auto parts sold them.
I will go with a dab of some of the mentioned stuff and abandon the older clip on squeal thing.
Best to all
52Degrees likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 09:22 PM

You can still use the old shims if you like.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 01-26-2020 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
That's an anti squeal shim. You can use contact cement or rtv in its place if you have brake noise.
I use "DISC BRAKE QUIET" from CRC when I do car brakes, but haven't tried it on a motorcycle.
52Degrees likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Garage
It was a big problem when I worked at Chevy. Corporate had us using various products over a few years and finally settled on rtv for a cheap, effective fix on the worst cases... Mostly single piston calipers on heavier vehicles.

The CRC stuff is OK, though.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
It was a big problem when I worked at Chevy. Corporate had us using various products over a few years and finally settled on rtv for a cheap, effective fix on the worst cases... Mostly single piston calipers on heavier vehicles.

The CRC stuff is OK, though.
Thanks again to all that replied I appreciate it very much.
Swapped the rear pads to EBC FA174HH and moved over the anti squeal plates. Permatex brake grease on pins. Caliper got new seals and piston, (destroyed the old one taking it out) and all seated with DOT 4 no special piston grease. Fluid fill and flush. Did the front fluid swap also. So new Conti Road Attack 3 rubber on the 1k with fresh brake pads and fluid and waiting for a decent day here in NJ. Last time I did a bunch of work on the Versys i left it idle on the kickstand and it fell over in the driveway. I guess - Stay humble, ride for yourself, not others.
Old pads were NIssin TT2182FF with about 2-2.5mm left and worn evenly at 13k miles. The work was due to me shoving the dirty caliper in while fitting the tires back on and it was binding up or seemed to be.
Best to all
Brian
52Degrees likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnucci24 View Post
Thanks again to all that replied I appreciate it very much.

Swapped the rear pads to EBC FA174HH and moved over the anti squeal plates. Permatex brake grease on pins. Caliper got new seals and piston, (destroyed the old one taking it out) and all seated with DOT 4 no special piston grease. Fluid fill and flush. Did the front fluid swap also. So new Conti Road Attack 3 rubber on the 1k with fresh brake pads and fluid and waiting for a decent day here in NJ. Last time I did a bunch of work on the Versys i left it idle on the kickstand and it fell over in the driveway. I guess - Stay humble, ride for yourself, not others.

Old pads were NIssin TT2182FF with about 2-2.5mm left and worn evenly at 13k miles. The work was due to me shoving the dirty caliper in while fitting the tires back on and it was binding up or seemed to be.

Best to all

Brian
I swapped my fronts to EBC HH pads a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. They don't seem to bake to the rotors like the factory pads do, which caused a brake pulsation for me.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode