• 1 Post By dlars
  • 1 Post By dlars
  • 2 Post By dlars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
whine at speed

Coming from a belt drive cruiser I am fairly new to chain drive bikes and I have 5000 km on my 19 Versys 1000 now. The chain is adjusted to about 35 mm slack, and is well lubricated and aligned with the front sprocket. Starting at about 75 km/hr I start to get some whine from the rear and it continues to increase in pitch depending on speed. It seems to decrease when I pull the clutch in but I think I am hearing tire/hwy noise at that point. I'm just wondering if all chain drive bikes have a certain amount of chain driveline noise, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Got a whirring, high-frequency metallic noise that doesnít seem related to engine speed? Look to your drive chain. A healthy chain is noisy anyway, but you shouldnít be able to hear it yourself while youíre riding along. A vibration or clanking (sometimes felt though foot pegs too) signifies tight spots or stiff links. You should thoroughly clean your chain and inspect for stuck links, loose rollers and excess stretch. If thatís all OK, make sure itís properly aligned and adjusted. Lubricate with decent lube on the inside run first, preferably when the chain is warm. If you find any tight spots, stiff links or have run out of adjustment then the time has come to ditch the chain and invest in a fresher (quieter) new one.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advic...ise-diagnosis/

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
How are you checking chain alignment? I know on the 650s, the hash marks on the swingarm aren't right. If you go by them, the rear wheel is most likely crooked. Not sure if thats the case on the 1000 also.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Got a whirring, high-frequency metallic noise that doesnít seem related to engine speed? Look to your drive chain. A healthy chain is noisy anyway, but you shouldnít be able to hear it yourself while youíre riding along. A vibration or clanking (sometimes felt though foot pegs too) signifies tight spots or stiff links. You should thoroughly clean your chain and inspect for stuck links, loose rollers and excess stretch. If thatís all OK, make sure itís properly aligned and adjusted. Lubricate with decent lube on the inside run first, preferably when the chain is warm. If you find any tight spots, stiff links or have run out of adjustment then the time has come to ditch the chain and invest in a fresher (quieter) new one.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advic...ise-diagnosis/

No as I said, it does increase in relation to bike speed (therefore engine speed). As I posted, the bike is new with only 5000 km's on it and the chain is the same age as the bike.....lubes, adjusted, and aligned like I said so I'm thinking it must be normal. It actually sounds like the belt drive did on my cruiser when it was rubbing
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If the chain is not too tight could it just be the straight cut gear whine that all Kawasaki 4ís have? With my 650, I actually miss that sound. Iíve had 4 Zís in the past, bullit proof!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
How are you checking chain alignment? I know on the 650s, the hash marks on the swingarm aren't right. If you go by them, the rear wheel is most likely crooked. Not sure if thats the case on the 1000 also.
I actually used the hash marks as a starter, then used my motion pro alignment tool. It's dead on.
james75 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
If the chain is not too tight could it just be the straight cut gear whine that all Kawasaki 4ís have? With my 650, I actually miss that sound. Iíve had 4 Zís in the past, bullit proof!
That's kind of what I'm thinking. The engine is so quiet I hear everything else, not used to that coming from a rattling V-Twin
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
Coming from a belt drive cruiser I am fairly new to chain drive bikes and I have 5000 km on my 19 Versys 1000 now. The chain is adjusted to about 35 mm slack, and is well lubricated and aligned with the front sprocket. Starting at about 75 km/hr I start to get some whine from the rear and it continues to increase in pitch depending on speed. It seems to decrease when I pull the clutch in but I think I am hearing tire/hwy noise at that point. I'm just wondering if all chain drive bikes have a certain amount of chain driveline noise, etc.
Is there a chance that your chain is TOO tight?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

No it's at the max slack stated in the manual which is 40 mm. It's measured using a motion pro tool and a tape measure just to be sure.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

Strangely enough, I pulled the front sprocket cover today also. I used Bell Ray lub before and it is extremely tacky. It was built up like hard tar on the inside of the cover, with a few small rocks stuck in there also. It definitely is more quiet after scraping all the gunk out of there also
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well folks, I realized today that is wasn't looking at the hash marks on my swingarm from the same angle on both sides. I ended up ensuring that i could see daylight through the axle when I was checking on both sides. I ended up being off a bit on the muffler side. Once corrected it is quiet once again......lovin it. (edit)....strangely my alignment tool showed the wheel to be pretty straight prior to this, maybe the rod is a little bent...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys Axle.jpg (31.5 KB, 17 views)
Fastoman and funflyingguy like this.

Last edited by dlars; 10-06-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added more info
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Glad you solved that touchy problem . Ride On and be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode