• 1 Post By chid
  • 2 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 2 Post By Fishforpike
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Headlight burnout during night ride

Riding last night with my wife on a somewhat lighted street I suddenly noticed that I could no longer see her reflective gear shining back at me. When I asked her to check her mirrors at my lights I confirmed that my headlight had indeed gone dark.

I also use fork mounted LP350 PIAA lights, and especially glad I had them on this night. Allowed me to still see the road pretty well (though no reflection taller things like street signs or of my wife's reflective gear) without having to blind oncoming traffic with brights.

Since I'll be buying a new bulb anyway I guess it's time to upgrade to LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you are OK. LED or HID are some good options in the market.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 AM

I assume you did or will do a thread search to see if your generation did successful updates....some are better than others.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Had that issue once. (Couldn't figure out why everyone was beeping at me!)

Turns out my high beam worked, so I did have something, but I keep a spare bulb handy - if not in the tool pouch then at home.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Because BOTH bulbs are the same [H7], when I replace a bulb (USUALLY the low-beam), I move the high-beam bulb to its spot, then put the new bulb in the high-beam location.

THAT way you'll always have a "low-time" bulb in the high-beam slot.
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Projector for both left and right, low beam and high beam
always 2 bulbs, double the light (more like 4 times with HID )
onewizard likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 AM

In my experience, headlight bulbs ONLY burn out at night, in the rain, in the cold, on a moonless night, on a back road, with no safe place to pull over. :^) Now I always carry spares in my "roadside kit", wrapped in a couple of surgical latex gloves.
quexpress and Kyle E like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Hi Doug, i had a blown headlight recently whilst driving home at night, fortunately the car behind me had such bright lights i was ok! I didn't need to use the full beam option. However when i purchased a new bulb i chose the 150% brighter option and now i do get flashed by on comming traffic and flash them back obviously. It only confirms that as a biker on the road i can now be seen. It may sound selfish but i don't care if the car drivers are dazzled, in Ireland where i live too many car s are driven with fog lights on all the time or very bright running lights. revenge is a dish best served cold.
Also there is no MOT for motorcycles so no governence.
Be bright get seen!
onewizard and Doug Just Doug like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishforpike View Post
Hi Doug, i had a blown headlight recently whilst driving home at night, fortunately the car behind me had such bright lights i was ok! I didn't need to use the full beam option. However when i purchased a new bulb i chose the 150% brighter option and now i do get flashed by on comming traffic and flash them back obviously. It only confirms that as a biker on the road i can now be seen. It may sound selfish but i don't care if the car drivers are dazzled, in Ireland where i live too many car s are driven with fog lights on all the time or very bright running lights. revenge is a dish best served cold.
Also there is no MOT for motorcycles so no governence.
Be bright get seen!
I have said this before on this forum, many of us went to the Osram 65 watt off road, several OPP officer ( Ontario Provincial Police)were asked were we stand on the use, as it would be almost impossible to check on the road side what the lamp in use was, it was unanimous, that anything that improved our night vision and prevented us from crashing into a deer or moose, would get no complaints from them, bottom line as long as it is aimed correctly no worries!!
quexpress likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 PM

Garage
I guess that there is something to be said for dual headlights. Luckily my Versys 300 has a couple of running lights. Maybe you should consider something like that.
LED's are the simplest to install.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I saw today that the 2019 Versys has dual LED headlights. Seems a good improvement. I do like the idea. Since I also run heated gear on cold rides I have some concern about electrical draw. Looked forward to increasing my margin to the limit of electrical load when switching to LED. Switching to dual LED low and high wouldn't improve the margin much; but would prevent a single bulb error from being such a problem.

Switching the bulb from high to low then replacing the high beam is a good idea.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:11 AM

Id been thinking about switching to LED or a high output in the high beam lamp alone, are there any that people have used that are recommended or are they all quite similar? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

recent thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
I’d been thinking about switching to LED or a high output in the high beam lamp alone, are there any that people have used that are recommended or are they all quite similar? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here are two threads, one a how to and the second a discussion, I looked up your bike as a 2015 650ABS , answer to both low and high is NO and NO.
This first thread, save some time and jump to my post 132 https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...9-post132.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...light-bar.html

A alternative I am looking at this winter ;

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...light-bar.html

Last edited by onewizard; 12-06-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode