Oil Level Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil Level Question

I changed the oil on the V1 today, and put her to bed for the winter. While I was adding oil, I watched the level go up and down in the sight glass. I ended up putting in 1 gallon (US), rather than the 4.0 quarts the manual calls for. However, I don't see any oil line across the sight glass. Meaning, I guess, the oil level is above the upper line.

Is this normal? While running the bike all year, I would always see the oil line across the centre of the sight glass.

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 11-19-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:51 PM

Garage
Did you change the filter?
Did you start the bike and let it idle till the oil light goes out and shut it down before checking?

Is there a color difference in the sight glass between side and center stands?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Kyle E and CuddyBuddy like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, changed the oil filter. And added a few ounces to the new filter before installing it.

Yes, let the bike idle till the oil light went out.

However, your post got me to thinking. I did not allow enough time for the oil to settle down after the bike was idling before checking the level. Just went to the garage now, and all is good. Oil level is right in the centre of the glass.

Thanks 52.
52Degrees likes this.

Paul

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 11-15-2018 at 09:10 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 PM

Garage
Sweet!

CuddyBuddy likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Just one more check. Was your bike on center stand or side stand during oil fill and level checking.
CuddyBuddy and 52Degrees like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Just one more check. Was your bike on center stand or side stand during oil fill and level checking.
Centre Stand. Just an amateurish mistake, forgetting to let the oil settle before checking the level. Been changing MC oil for 15 years now, first time I've done that. I'll blame either old age, or the fact that it was pretty chilly in the garage when I was changing the oil.

Paul
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

No worries...at some point of time we all pass that stage, glad to know all is well.
CuddyBuddy likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:30 PM

Reading this post makes me wondering: A V1000 need to be on the sidestand to read oil level??? Not on the centerstand?
CuddyBuddy likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy View Post
Centre Stand. Just an amateurish mistake, forgetting to let the oil settle before checking the level. Been changing MC oil for 15 years now, first time I've done that. I'll blame either old age, or the fact that it was pretty chilly in the garage when I was changing the oil.
I lived in Brighton from about '71 to '74 - yup - it can get 'chilly' this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude. View Post
Reading this post makes me wondering: A V1000 need to be on the sidestand to read oil level??? Not on the centerstand?
I don't have V1000, but I would think you check the oil-level w/ the bike vertical - wheels on the ground, NOT on a stand....
red liner and CuddyBuddy like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude. View Post
Page 120 of my manual says "With the motorcycle held level, the oil level should come up between the upper and lower level lines next to the inspection window." And page 121 talks about changing the oil, and says "Let the oil completely drain with the motorcycle perpendicular to the ground."

Paul
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Garage
For those of us without riding partners, the center stand works well enough.

CuddyBuddy likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:48 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy View Post
I changed the oil on the V1 today, and put her to bed for the winter. While I was adding oil, I watched the level go up and down in the sight glass. I ended up putting in 1 gallon (US), rather than the 4.2 quarts the manual calls for. However, I don't see any oil line across the sight glass. Meaning, I guess, the oil level is above the upper line.

Is this normal? While running the bike all year, I would always see the oil line across the centre of the sight glass.
An American gallon = 4 US quarts. Engine oil capacity is actually 4.0 US quarts when replacing filter.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...0.html?page=77

It should always be held up balanced vertically for a precise and reliable oil level reading.

○Situate the motorcycle so that it is perpendicular to the ground.
○If the motorcycle has just been used, wait several minutes for all the oil to drain down.
○If the oil has just been changed, start the engine and run it for several minutes at idle speed. This fills the oil filter with oil. Stop the engine, then wait several minutes until the oil settles.

NOTICE
Racing the engine before the oil reaches every part can cause engine seizure.
If the engine oil gets extremely low or if the oil pump or oil passages clog up or otherwise do not function properly, the warning indicator light (LED) and oil pressure warning symbol will blink. If this blink stays on when the engine is running above idle speed, stop the engine immediately and find the cause.

-If the oil level is too high, remove the excess oil, using a syringe or some other suitable device.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...age=301#manual
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Engine oil capacity is actually 4.0 US quarts when replacing filter.
Yeah, I noticed that a day or two after my post. The manual says 4.2 quarts when filling with oil the first time, 4.0 quarts on subsequent oil changes when replacing the filter. By the time I saw that I could no longer edit my OP. (Although for some reason I can now edit the OP. So I fixed that.)

Paul

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 11-19-2018 at 08:13 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:03 AM

I bought this flexible mirror from Harbor Freight so that I can sit on the bike, to hold it upright, and veiw the oil level through the window.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by kawimassgirl; 02-24-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawimassgirl View Post
I bought this flexible mirror from Harbor Freight so that I can sit on the bike, to hold it upright, and veiw the oil level through the window.

Shouldn't that be a selfie stick in this modern era?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=kawimassgirl;1607711]I bought this flexible mirror from Harbor Freight so that I can sit on the bike, to hold it upright, and veiw the oil level through the window.

Wow, way cool and an answer to my prayers. I always seem to have to reexplain the hash marks to my wife. So now I usually grab the neighbor kid or if one of my friends is stopping by I grab them to look in the sight glass. Had been thinking about mounting a mirror to the end of a broom handle. Since I live within walking distance of a Harbor Freight I will get one of these. Than I can also stock up on cheap vinyl gloves for the next oil change. THANK YOU!

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

MY experience has been that IF you check the oil right after riding (get off, V on sidestand, and held vertical) - you can see a line of small bubbles at the oil's level on the sight-glass.

jschmitt0715 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
just a fyi...... 4 quarts is one us gallon
jschmitt0715 likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Shouldn't that be a selfie stick in this modern era?
Haha. It would be a very interesting selfie stick...

Fly-Sig likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Garage
A piece of 2x4 under the kickstand usually put the bike level......
jschmitt0715 and Nivek like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode