• 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
  • 1 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Rear tire squaring off

I have about 3k miles on the bike now, and the rear tire has a noticeably flat aspect to the center. Still, it least 60% tread depth remaining isn't too bad for the mileage, as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, and keeping in mind the tires were already 2 years old when I bought the bike with zero miles on it, I'm looking at the next tire.

Now, with the end of season sales ramping up, I'm seeing Pirelli Angel rear tires going for around $110, and Michelin Road 5 rears going for around twice that.

What kind of miles can be reasonably expected of each? Anyone have personal experience?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have 4000 miles on my Road 5's and they still look great....
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:41 PM

Garage
BTW check your air pressure....
tommyvous59 and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's stayed between 40 and 42 psi since I bought it.

I think I need to invest in a better guage, though.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:13 PM

air pressure is important regarding tire wear. i run 38 rear and 34 front these days. I've changed to shinko 705's and other than tire noise, i like them. it's a hard compound and word is they can reach 10k miles. they are "dual sport". before i ran metzeler tourance (original) rears and avon distanzia fronts, which could be good for 10k miles, but they stopped making distanzias and i wanted to cut costs. i've never used sport or ST tires on the bike. i don't worry about squaring off, as long as the tread is good, and the squaring is not too pronounced. ride more twisties to keep the tires round !
52Degrees likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:15 PM

also, look into dual compound tires, with harder compound in the center.
52Degrees likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The Michelins are dual compound, and are supposed to work well in the wet, which is coming (such as it is around here).

I would like to say I'm more concerned with safety on damp, slippery roads (the lack of general rainfall here means roads get slick every time any amount of water is on them), but long life is extremely important, too. If the Michelins are getting twice the life of the Pirellis, that's a slam dunk.

tommyvous59 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:44 PM

safety first. slick roads after a light rain are a problem here too. i'm extra careful on the shinko's.
52Degrees likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That $110 is most likely for an Angel ST. The Angel GT gives 30% more mileage than the ST according to Pirelli. I ran two Angel GT rears, 6k miles out of one, 6.5 out of the other. I tend to be quite heavy on the right wrist. I've worn out three 705 Shinkos, the two Angels, and four Bridgestone 023s on the rear of my 650 in 39k miles. It sees mostly mountain riding and most of that out west. It is soooooooo much fun putting the coal to her coming out of a corner.

Most people seem to get about 8-11k miles out of them. Superbly wonderful handling and riding tire with no drama.

The GT tires run about $50 more than the ST.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
The Michelins are dual compound, and are supposed to work well in the wet, which is coming (such as it is around here).

I would like to say I'm more concerned with safety on damp, slippery roads (the lack of general rainfall here means roads get slick every time any amount of water is on them), but long life is extremely important, too. If the Michelins are getting twice the life of the Pirellis, that's a slam dunk.

I got over 10,000 miles per set on my V-650 using PR3's. Got over 11,000 miles per set on my FJR using PR4-GT's and it looks like the Road 5's will easily do that...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:15 PM

The OEM dunlops on the V650 are trash, they wear out very quickly.

Seriously, just get Road 5s, they are worth every penny, they are the absolute best tires I've ever used.
weljo2001 and 52Degrees like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have about 3k miles on the bike now, and the rear tire has a noticeably flat aspect to the center. Still, it least 60% tread depth remaining isn't too bad for the mileage, as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, and keeping in mind the tires were already 2 years old when I bought the bike with zero miles on it, I'm looking at the next tire.

Now, with the end of season sales ramping up, I'm seeing Pirelli Angel rear tires going for around $110, and Michelin Road 5 rears going for around twice that.

What kind of miles can be reasonably expected of each? Anyone have personal experience?

You can't really go wrong with Michelin Pilot Road 5, Metzeler Roadtec 01, or Pirelli Angel GT. They are all premium tires with consistently excellent feedback. Currently running the Metzelers Roadtec 01's. I actually like the steering feel from the front Metzeler better than the Michelin Pilot Road 3's I had on earlier and the front does not scallop like the Michelin did around 5000km. I suspect the Metzeler and Pirelli share the same base carcass for no other reason than Metzeler and Pirelli are the same company. IMO don't buy econo tires, the cold and wet weather grips sucks and I've found they flat spot a LOT faster, as they do not use dual compound rubber. Instead of getting soft, grippy rubber on the shoulders for turning grip while leaned and long wearing rubber in the center of the tread, you just get hard rubber everywhere. If you include the mounting costs, longer lasting and better gripping premium sport tour tires start to match up better on cost with econo tires too.
52Degrees likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-22-2018 at 06:27 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I got over 10,000 miles per set on my V-650 using PR3's. Got over 11,000 miles per set on my FJR using PR4-GT's and it looks like the Road 5's will easily do that...
So far my Road 5 rear is holding up better than the PR4 rear it replaced. I got about 8k miles out of the PR4, and I expect to get 10k out of the Road 5 rear. The handling difference, especially front end feedback and stability between the PR4 and Road 5 is night and day. They say a Road 5 GT is coming soon, not sure if a V1000 is heavy enough to warrant the GT.
52Degrees likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's stayed between 40 and 42 psi since I bought it.

I think I need to invest in a better guage, though.

Try running a bit lower {38} at the back and see if the tire squre's off.
52Degrees likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode