Grumble, grumble... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Grumble, grumble...

Shoulda bought a shaft drive bike...

This s%#* looks like spider webs as it drips off.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
tommyvous59 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:49 PM

i gave up PJ1 years ago due to the crap it would sling all over the place, as well a being a song for dirt. I've used dupont dry teflon spray for many years (blue can), and will try the yellow can when I'm out of my old stock. other teflon chain sprays out there these days. note that fast eddie has used WD40 for years with great results and ultra long chain life.
twowheels and 52Degrees like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
i gave up PJ1 years ago due to the crap it would sling all over the place, as well a being a song for dirt. I've used dupont dry teflon spray for many years (blue can), and will try the yellow can when I'm out of my old stock. other teflon chain sprays out there these days. note that fast eddie has used WD40 for years with great results and ultra long chain life.
I used wd40 to clean it, then applied the PJ1 black slingy goopy s%#*.

I'll be looking for something else soon. How often should I be cleaning this chain? I have it set up to remind me every 400 miles, but I'm just under 500 miles overdue by that schedule. And 2000 miles overdue for the previous one. Oops.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 PM

i clean with kerosene, infrequently. i "lube" the chain with the dupont every 4-500 miles, or if I'm on a trip, once a day (i can have 8-900 mile days). unless it's raining a lot, the chain can retain the wax a LONG time. but i still neurotically stick to my regular schedule. the wax really does keep the chain clean and repels dirt. PJ1 is a *sponge* for dirt, and very messy. i've got a can just sitting there waiting for the dumpster next time i clean out the garage (when?). but the more you baby your chain, and keep it clean, the longer it will last. i live close to the gulf of mexico but stay away from the beach. sand sticks to everything and is very abrasive. the salt air does nothing good for the chain either.
52Degrees likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:12 PM

btw, the PJ1 would accumulate substantial goop around my front sprocket as well, that i would have to open up and clean out all the time. bad stuff. very primitive.
52Degrees likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I got it because it was the thing back in the day. I got the black because it seemed to be the better of the 2 offerings from the store (the 2 PJ1 offerings).

I'll have to pick up something different on Friday, when I try to buy pants again.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm in central California. Lots of blowing sand and dirt in the air, not to mention road grime.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I lube my chain about every 500 miles....I clean it about every 3500 miles....Heres the front sprocket cover first time i cleaned it at 7000 miles....https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ket-cover.html

I ran out of the DuPont Blue Can Lube but now use this stuff and i believe its the same stuff....https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...etic-chain-wax

Review...https://www.webbikeworld.com/tirox-chain-wax-review/
tommyvous59 and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:58 PM

as fast eddie said, your front sprocket/cover looked relatively clean compared to mine with the PJ1. i would have so much goop accumulate around the front sprocket, i could believe the chain would turn. but it's windy and often with a lot of dirt in the air, crappy roads. and i would take the bike to laguna atascosa/south padre until i wised up. change chains at 12k miles, and with the new chain, started the dupont teflon spray. now 15k miles and no problems.
52Degrees likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:00 PM

15k miles on the new chain, that is.
52Degrees likes this.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I used wd40 to clean it, then applied the PJ1 black slingy goopy s%#*...I'll be looking for something else soon. How often should I be cleaning this chain? I have it set up to remind me every 400 miles, but I'm just under 500 miles overdue by that schedule. And 2000 miles overdue for the previous one. Oops.
I use WD40 as was already stated. In NORMAL ops I spray the chain after ANY ride over 50 miles, then wipe it down. On TRIPS I usually 'do' my chain mid-day, and again as soon as I get to a campsite so the chain's still warm. IF it's raining I'll spray it MORE frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
...but the more you baby your chain, and keep it clean, the longer it will last....
An ADDITIONAL benefit of "babying your chain" is the horsepower you 'free-up'. NEXT time you get set to spray your chain, get the bike onto a rear-stand and give the tire a good push w/ your foot, counting HOW MANY revolutions it turns. THEN spray the chain, and then give the tire another good push w/ your foot, counting HOW MANY revolutions it NOW turns.

I'll bet that it turns MORE revolutions (MINE does!), which indicates that it "sucks-up" FEWER horsepower when lubricated.

THAT means better fuel-economy as well as longer chain-life.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:51 PM

great food for thought. how much power/gas is wasted dragging a filthy chain !
52Degrees likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 PM

i've been having good luck with my last 3 bikes with this Dupont >> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dupont.JPG (28.5 KB, 9 views)
52Degrees likes this.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:04 PM

I clean my chain with kerosene using a grunge brush. Then wipe the chain down with a rag. I then spray it down with WD 40, spin the rear wheel a few times both directions, and wipe off the excess with a clean rag.
52Degrees likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
i've been having good luck with my last 3 bikes with this Dupont >> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thats the new formula not as good as the Dupont Blue Can was...
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I clean and lube my chain after every 300-500 miles. I also will clean and lube after riding in heavy rains. I've been using the Bel-Ray Super clean for a few years. Before that I used the Bel-Ray Blue-tac before it got hard to find. I really like the Bel-Ray brand for chain lube. The Super Clean goes on white so you know you got the whole chain sprayed.

As for chain cleaner, I use the Pro Honda brand. Have used that for a few years and like it a lot!

And finally, I use a grunge brush and a micro-fiber cloth.
52Degrees likes this.

Last edited by Devilsfan; 10-22-2018 at 07:23 PM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 PM

Garage
If you don't want to use kerosene.... Goop Hand Cleaner (non-pumice) makes for a great chain cleaner. I use the Goop with a grunge brush then hose off then dry with a rag. Next i spray it with WD-40 to dissipate any remaining water then get the excessive off with a rag then hit it with chain lube.....

Chain Cleaning by weljo2001, on Flickr

Chain Cleaning by weljo2001, on Flickr
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't mind kerosene at all... Other than not knowing where to find it around here.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, shaft drive is nice.

Moto Guzzi is offering an adventure bike for '19 with a shaft drive.
52Degrees likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:13 AM

Garage
As with oil, tires, seats, windshields, and life in General, every thing is subjective. Use what you like and are comfortable with. With that said I use DuPont Teflon Chain Saver on my V1000LT, my V300X and my V-Strom 650 after each ride. Does not drip, sling, or stain. Cleans up very nice and I can get it at some Walmarts that sell moto stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_3890.jpg (73.5 KB, 14 views)
52Degrees likes this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode