Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Sticky gas cap?

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
My gas cap is terrible to open and close, and has already torqued the key a bit. Any advice on smoothing it out? Can I use graphite in it like any other lock?

#3 ·
#7 ·
I had this problem and have used WD40 to no relieve to the problem until I fill tank top every time so the fuel lubricates the lock mechanism . its been 9 years and I still use the same original key and tank lock without any problem.
( i know petrol is not a lubricant but somehow that's the best advise i got from local mechanics and its works fine)

#10 ·
I'd try some dry graphite lube in the key slot first and open close the cap numerous times to work the graphite in completely....if that fails to do the trick, then I'd run some WD-40 into the slot. If that still doesn't smooth it out, then I'd be thinking there is some mechanical imperfection in the cap or lock mechanism itself.

#13 ·
i just gassed up today. the push down and turn method worked fine, and the cap lock works like new on my 2008 V. as humid as it is here, there's no grinding when turning the key. but she's kept in the garage. it's bewildering why so many riders have tank lock failure. bikes kept in the elements? washing bike with a sprayer? i tend to avoid the sprayer and wipe the bike down by hand. water causes mischief when sprayed into tight places.

#15 ·
Corrosion:- is nothing but it is a chemical reaction (most likely a oxidation process) in which wearing of metal takes place . Here the metal can be anything iron, copper etc . Rusting :-This is a part of corrosion in which Iron reacts with water or moist air to form iron oxides and thereby corrosion takes place .

#17 ·
I am hijacking an old thread, but it is gas cap question. My latest vehicle a 2014 Ford Edge (not too high tech) has the fuel filler where I just open the fuel door and push the nozzle in the little silver flap. No fuel cap at all. And the fuel door is not sealed in any way. Has anybody ever seen a fuel filler for the V that is like that - just press the fuel nozzle in and fill??

#19 ·
Hi Left Brain, Yes, it is open to the public, but on the car you can not put anything in there that does not come thru a gas nozzle. If you want to do additives, they supply a special funnel (kept by the spare) that you can insert and it will bypass whatever secondary is in there to keep from pouring junk it. Pretty sure that would be near impossible to engineer for such a small gas tank with no fill neck like on our V's. With regard to a motorcycle I would not want something that easy unless it is always garaged or covered during road trips. I agree, it is a leap of faith to trust your gas supply to the general public.

#20 ·
I've had the bike two and a half years and the gas cap worked perfectly until it didn't on one day during a road trip. I was kind of in the boonies so I just tried some WD-40 in the key hole and it seemed to fix the problem. I'm thinking it happened due to dust and road grit on an extended trip. It's been just fine since

Sent from my Vivo XL3 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I've had the bike two and a half years and the gas cap worked perfectly until it didn't on one day during a road trip. I was kind of in the boonies so I just tried some WD-40 in the key hole and it seemed to fix the problem. I'm thinking it happened due to dust and road grit on an extended trip. It's been just fine since
The FEW times I've experienced a "tight" gas-cap lock, I just 'shot' some WD40 in, and the problem 'went away'.

:goodluck:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.