2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shibumik
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tapping Power for GPS Unit

Hi all,

I am adding a new GPS unit to my V1k and I am unsure as to the preferred way to tap into 12v power on my bike. When I added my lighter port, two wires were hanging in the fairing. After bloody knuckles and several new albeit dubious words contributed to the English language, I finally connected them. However, I am not sure the best way to tap into the power for my GPS unit on the V1k.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Kevin

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was thinking to tap my rear brake circuit for the + tap.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:12 PM

Garage
Below is the wire colors for the V-1000's. You can tapped into the Tail & License Plate wire and the Ground wire under the seat in the red circle.... I found 2 brown with yellow tracer wires i just used the first one i came to.

Ground***Black with yellow tracer
Right Signal***grey} color going into connector before light
Left Signal***green } " " "
Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer "" "
Brake ***blue with red tracer “ “..

Electrical by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-08-2018 at 07:24 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Bellow is the wire colors for the V-1000's. You can tapped into the Tail & License Plate wire and the Ground wire under the seat in the red circle.... I found 2 brown with yellow tracer wires i just used the first one i came to.

Ground***Black with yellow tracer
Right Signal***grey} color going into connector before light
Left Signal***green } " " "
Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer "" "
Brake ***blue with red tracer “ “..

Electrical by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thank you so much! These are keyed, right?

Kevin

Andy Borowitz
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry! Dumb question!

Thanks again!
weljo2001 likes this.

Andy Borowitz
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is what I ended up doing.

I wasn’t sure how much power was beng sent to my license plate light then realized the most isolated and protected circuit was my 12-volt recepticle, so I tapped the 12-volt receptacle instead. My GPS uses only a transformed 5.5v, so I figured it would be a minimal draw on the system.

I don’t know what you can see in tne pics below, but I simply stubbed off my 12-volt socket wires. I also extended them a bit so I had more room to work. What you cannot see is that I made a loop in the power wire from the GPS unit where it enters the body work to allow water a drip escape route when things get wet. All connections were waterproofed as well.

Thank you Weljo for your input. I appreciate your response.

Hope this helps others too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4450B020-E72E-4895-AA66-7CA3F539C3CE.jpg (19.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 87620355-A8D6-49E2-A203-26CF081B8E05.jpg (16.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 06D72F48-326E-4221-B50B-8B0EC5A0A9B9.jpg (13.9 KB, 14 views)

Andy Borowitz
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
Here is what I ended up doing.

I wasn’t sure how much power was beng sent to my license plate light then realized the most isolated and protected circuit was my 12-volt recepticle, so I tapped the 12-volt receptacle instead. My GPS uses only a transformed 5.5v, so I figured it would be a minimal draw on the system.

I don’t know what you can see in tne pics below, but I simply stubbed off my 12-volt socket wires. I also extended them a bit so I had more room to work. What you cannot see is that I made a loop in the power wire from the GPS unit where it enters the body work to allow water a drip escape route when things get wet. All connections were waterproofed as well.

Thank you Weljo for your input. I appreciate your response.

Hope this helps others too.

I have my GPS,Voltmeter,Heated Grips,Admore Light Bar and Admore Top Case Lights all getting power from the Ground***Black with yellow tracer and the Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer "" " No issues in over 2 years...
Shibumik likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That is great to know. I will be adding heated grips and lights next. I will put them on that circuit.

I wish there was a guide for circuit specs and capacities. As a sailor, I am used to using them extensively. Cant seem to find them for this bike.

Thanks so much.

Andy Borowitz
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
That is great to know. I will be adding heated grips and lights next. I will put them on that circuit.

I wish there was a guide for circuit specs and capacities. As a sailor, I am used to using them extensively. Cant seem to find them for this bike.

Thanks so much.
The OWNERS MANUAL for the 650LT has a page dedicated to WHICH wires become "hot" when you add the Kawi relay (behind the right-side headlight), about 4 or 5 items.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode