Electrical Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Claude.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wiring Question

On my 2013 V1000 I have Barkbuster Handguards with LED turn signals (shown below). With a bit of creative wiring, can I modify the turn signals so they become running lights? And then operate as turn signals when needed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171115_160226a.jpg (31.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20171115_160140a.jpg (33.1 KB, 11 views)

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 08-30-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 03:14 PM

I've bumped into this video the other day while thinking about doing it. It may help.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTcDc85d1Q0
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy View Post
On my 2013 V1000 I have Barkbuster Handguards with LED turn signals (shown below). With a bit of creative wiring, can I modify the turn signals so they become running lights? And then operate as turn signals when needed?
I used 2 relays SPDT , triggered off the signal lights. Normally closed is the running light, NO is the signal.Total cost including sockets and 2 new 40 amp 5 pin relays, about $12 total

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I ended up ordering the Barkbuster Storm running lights. https://fortnine.ca/en/barkbusters-l...ing-led-002-wh

Thanks guys for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led-white-light-position-running-led-002-wh[1].jpg (20.2 KB, 3 views)

Paul
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
I ended up ordering the Barkbuster Storm running lights. https://fortnine.ca/en/barkbusters-l...ing-led-002-wh

Thanks guys for your help.
Ouch...pricey! Revzilla is much cheaper.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...tic-handguards
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmango333 View Post

Don't forget that you are comparing CDN vs US currencies.
FortNine usually have very good prices and an incredible service.
onewizard and Smiley like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
[U]...With a bit of creative wiring, can I modify the turn signals so they become running lights? And then operate as turn signals when needed?
I gave a lot of thought at this and only found two ways.

1) Buy after-market turn signals that have three wires (then two intensities) (this is the way I choose).

2) Buy Signal Dynamics module (link below). I know it is for rear turn signals but you simply have to not use the brake wire.

Tri-Star? XP Turn Signal To Brake Light and Running Light Conversion Module - Signal Dynamics

The easiest way I originally intended was to replace the sockets inside the OEM turn signals but it is molded in the inner plastic parts so it is a no go.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Signal / Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude. View Post
I gave a lot of thought at this and only found two ways.

1) Buy after-market turn signals that have three wires (then two intensities) (this is the way I choose).

2) Buy Signal Dynamics module (link below). I know it is for rear turn signals but you simply have to not use the brake wire.

Tri-Star? XP Turn Signal To Brake Light and Running Light Conversion Module - Signal Dynamics

The easiest way I originally intended was to replace the sockets inside the OEM turn signals but it is molded in the inner plastic parts so it is a no go.
Going to keep this short, I chose the Barkbuster location for two reasons, one from driving a service truck for over 40 years and depending solely on mirrors for side and rear view. With the led on the barkbuster , my lighted width is the same as the signal lights but 1 foot higher at 3.5 feet.

As to modifying strictly your front signal lights, if you install the superbright LED bulbs in the original sockets. You can convert to exactly what you want , very simple, same price as I said in my previous post, 2 relays and socket. Using the same circuit for the signal lights.
https://www.amazon.ca/MICTUNING-5-Pr...t+40+amp+relay Make sure you get a 5 prong , several guys have been stuck with the 4 prong which is a normally open

Basically the left turn signal wire Green and right turn signal Grey get cut as far away from the signal light as possible. Grey to relay #1 pin 87a, brown with yellow tracer at the flasher gets taped and connected to pin #30, pin #85 goes to black / yellow ( ground), original grey from harness goes to #86.

Relay #2 , Green ( from left signal light) to pin 87a, brown /yellow to pin #30 same wire as relay #1, pin#85 to black / yellow same wire as relay #1, original green wire from harness to #86.

What you will find is the on sequence on the rear lights to be the off cycle of the front, everything will work as original including the emergency flasher circuit.

Didn't read the post correctly, still need two relays and instead of cutting the the green and grey, you tap the green and grey, green to left running relay #2 pin 86 and grey to relay #1 right turn signal pin 86. Power source goes to pin 30, ground to pin 85, pin 87a from relay #1 to right barkbuster, pin 87a relay #2 to left barkbuster. Leave grounds as is.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-02-2018 at 12:32 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmango333 View Post

Not so. When you convert $US to $Canadian, and add shipping to Canada, Revzilla is $111.70 and FortNine is $93.78.

Paul
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Re Read Post

Quote:
So I took another look and realized that you had the barkbuster LED. I edited my post #8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode