Radiator Flush & Fill - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Radiator Flush & Fill

Will have had the bike 2 years in July so decided to flush & fill the radiator. Took the right side top fairing cover off and loosened the Right side side fairing and the black panel that runs along the side. That gives enough room to get to the radiator cap and reservoir tank with out having to take those 2 panels off. Then looked at the radiator drain hole on the left side of the bike. Didn't feel like taking the lower fairing off so it got drained on but will just hose it off when finished. Used a half white vinegar / distilled water mixture to flush the radiator let run for 10 minutes after coming to temp. Now just waiting for it to cool down to drain and refill with just distilled water to flush out the vinegar mixture then will do the process over one more time with distilled water. Then once cooled fill it up with the Motul Coolant I've used in my previous bikes...

Versys 1000 Radiator Flush & Fill by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If you just drain the radiator. There will still be about half still in the bike you will need to add more water to force the old fluid out. Once i get done with the last water flush i will leave the drain bolt out and add the new radiator fluid in very slowly till i see it start to come out the drain hole to make sure i got all the water out then replace the drain hole and fill with the fluid...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:42 PM

I thought it would all come out by gravity once you open the radiator cap.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
I thought it would all come out by gravity once you open the radiator cap.

The Versys 1000 holds 2.7 litres Once i drained the fluid i put the drain bolt back in and added 48 ounces of white vinegar and was adding the water when it started to over flow once i put in about 14 ounces. Should have been able to take another 30 ounces or so...Just flushed it out with distilled water and refilled again for another flush and it just took under half a gallon to fill...
Jay_Chicago likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-10-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just finished the final flush and after it drained took it off the center stand and onto the side stand and got a good bit more out. Left the drain bolt out and added the fluid slowly until i could see it come out the drain hole it did push more water out. Then put the drain bolt back in and filled up the radiator and reservoir tank. Now letting it run for 10 minutes to see if the level has gone down any...

P1020299 by weljo2001, on Flickr
onewizard and unstable_rider like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Its getting hot outside.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

FYI Draining Glycol

If you trully want to drain 95% of the fluid, run the bike up to temp. Shut down, take out drain plug, put bike level as possible,after about 1 minute remove rad cap , 95 to 98% will come out. Cold engine you will leave about 10 to 16OZ in the engine, as the T Stat being in the closed position prevents coolant to flow back through the water pump. how do I know this, from draining my 2015 while adding the T Bob. No way am I going to burn my hands ( the need of removing the OEM T Stat housing) for 16 OZ of glycol!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in