• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By AuroraTom
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
11.3mm Tire Valve Question

At the local shop, I had them install a 90 degree tire valve on the rear wheel. This is to accommodate the tire monitor on my Doran TPMS. Most of my riding is country roads, so I rarely hit a high speed. However, the other day I was on the highway, doing 120-130 km/hr. And I was losing air out of the rear tire. I pulled over, made sure the Doran monitor was screwed tightly on the tire valve, and filled the tire with air. Back up to the same speed, and started losing air again. Put air in, back on the highway, and started losing air a third time. Rode home on smaller roads, no air loss.

Back in the garage for a couple of days now, and no air pressure loss. And no nails or anything that I could see in the tire. However, this morning I pushed the 90 degree metal tire valve a bit to the side, and I could hear air leaking out. So the issue is the tire valve.

My question to the forum, is what could this mean? Maybe the shop didn't use an 11.3mm tire valve? Maybe it's just simply loose? (There is a nut to tighten it. If that's the culprit though, and I tighten it, it'll probably come loose again).

The service manager at the shop is a good guy, and he'll respond right away when I contact him. But I'd like to make some helpful suggestions to him.

TIA!

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 05-03-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I might be wrong but i don't think you are suppose to use 90 degrees valves with the TPMS Caps. When i got mine on my 09 V-650 it said to use straight metal valve stems...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I put some rubber 90 degree stems (pull-throughs from the bottom) on my '08 but replaced them after suffering a loss of air along the sides. Since I replaced them w/ mag-wheel metal 90s, the nut holds them securely.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
If your 90 degree stems don't have a nut on the out side of the rim change them out now-the ones that use a nut on the inside there is no way to tighten them and by moving the stem it is now loose-also there are several sizes

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All is good. The dealer replaced the 90 degree metal tire valve with a much more sturdy straight up metal tire valve. Rode home at 130 kph, didn't lose an ounce of air.
weljo2001 and motorboy like this.

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 05-04-2018 at 05:44 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:16 PM

Garage
Kurveygirl valve stems are the way to go.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Kurveygirl valve stems are the way to go.

Bought Kurveygirl valve stems for my 09 V-650 and FJR.....This time i bought a set of the chinese valve stems off eBay for less than 3 bucks...They work just as good...https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-C...4023%7Ciid%3A1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
...This time i bought a set of the chinese valve stems off eBay for less than 3 bucks...They work just as good....
I have the same ones for each of my Vs....
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:48 AM

Valve stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Bought Kurveygirl valve stems for my 09 V-650 and FJR.....This time i bought a set of the chinese valve stems off eBay for less than 3 bucks...They work just as good...https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-C...4023%7Ciid%3A1
Thanks Weljo
Order placed.
Tom
weljo2001 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraTom View Post
Thanks Weljo
Order placed.
Tom
FWIW - I BELIEVE I used some blue Loctite so the nut wouldn't loosen on mine.
AuroraTom likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode