• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Don't Forget To Clean The Front Sprocket Cover

Ran some errands today lot of highway & city. Love the new Road 5's they track better,more secure in the turns, uneven pavement is not an issue just point the bike where you want to go and give it the gas. With the stock tires the V-1000 seems to wander abit felt un-easy on certain pavement and some corners. The Road 5's handle all of that stuff really happy with them..So got home and wanted to lube the clutch cable, clean and lube the chain and check the chain alignment after they put the new tires on. Was going to adjust the throttle slack but will get to that next week since i spent more time lubing the clutch cable than i expected. Took the Front sprocket cover off to clean since it's been 7000 miles since i last did it. Man it was dirty had to use kerosene and a rag to get it all off.

P1020240 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020241 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020242 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020243 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020244 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020245 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020246 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020247 by weljo2001, on Flickr
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Joe - I don't believe MY countershaft sprocket areas have EVER been THAT clean...!

AlaskaJeff likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joe - I don't believe MY countershaft sprocket areas have EVER been THAT clean...!

Yea, But I'm not out in the dirt and BFE places you go either....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:24 AM

Garage
What's that blue thing you got clamped to your chain there?

Also, that is beautifully clean, very nice job!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 04:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Greeny View Post

It's a Motion Pro Chain alignment tool. I have one but would not really recommend it. While it is easy to use it is just not that accurate and certainly not as accurate as checking the alignment marks on the swing arm. Chain alignment is important from the perspective of sprocket wear and sprocket and chain life expectancy.

From my experience the swing arm marks have a higher degree of accuracy than the Motion Pro tool and the string method is more accurate still, on a entirely higher level of precision, than both the motion pro tool or the swing arm marks, although also more time consuming.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-11-2018 at 05:06 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It's a Motion Pro Chain alignment tool. I have one but would not really recommend it. While it is easy to use it is just not that accurate and certainly not as accurate as checking the alignment marks on the swing arm. Chain alignment is important from the perspective of sprocket wear and sprocket and chain life expectancy.

From my experience the swing arm marks have a higher degree of accuracy than the Motion Pro tool and the string method is more accurate still, on a entirely higher level of precision, than both the motion pro tool or the swing arm marks, although also more time consuming.
Okay, I figured that might be it, but wasn't certain. I've seen swingarm marks that were over a whole mark off from each other on each side, so I think I'll probably just stick with the string method. If I ever get on some long adventures though, that tool does seem like it could be a "field expedient" option if you got in a bad spot.

Thanks for the explanation!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Greeny View Post

twowheels is correct its a Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool. Bit i disagree with his opinion on it. I find it very accurate my 09 the marks on the swingarm were off. It's take's hardly any time to use and i'm confident my chain will not be damaged for being out of alignment. I checked the alignment before i was done cleaning the chain. So it was much cleaner afterwards..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-11-2018 at 05:30 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

From my experience the swing arm marks have a higher degree of accuracy than the Motion Pro tool....
I have to disagree - when I used my Motion Pro Chain alignment tool the first time on my '08, I had to turn one of the two adjusters 15 "flats" - 2 1/2 turns - from having used the marks on the swing arm previously.

Rechecked alignment after, then 'dimpled' a flat on each adjusting nut to be able to stay on top of the alignment more easily.

If you want your Motion Pro Chain alignment tool to be more accurate - get a longer rod to use w/ it, but be VERY careful NOT to bend it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ran some errands today since it might rain the rest of the week. Was on the 710 freeway which has crappy road surface. The Road 5's had me cutting through traffic like a scalpel. The more i ride with these tires the more i like them. Can't wait to get them up in the canyons. Wanted to double check the tire pressure since getting the tires put on with the new 90 degree angled valve stems. Super simple to check the pressure. Got to use my new air gauge that i use with my $39.99 Harbour Freight pancake air compressor.(it's on sale for that price all the time) Was leary about the gauge because of the clip on style air chuck but this one works perfect just clip on and it's tight no air seepage. But they do also give you a thread on chuck you can use if you prefer...Guage works great...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .Wiped the bike down and used Plexxus on the Windscreen and Guages and put the bike in the garage....
Morgan2112 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

to your super clean bike.
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode