Michelin Road 5 Tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Michelin Road 5 Tires

I know from my Gold Wing forum there are two things you never ask about - tires and oil. I hope the Versys forums aren't quite as difficult to work with.

I purchased my 2012 Versys 1000 late last year. Love what I've experienced so far in the short time I've ridden it. But really haven't really gotten into it yet in terms of much of anything - riding, parts, etc. At the dealer today they suggested the bike could use new tires - which I agree with.

My question is which tires are popular. My riding will be almost totally paved road, with the occasional gravel road. No dirt or enduro or off road riding for sure. Currently the bike has Pirelli Scorpion on the rear and Pirelli Angel GT on the front.

I was thinking about a 90/10 tire, but I've heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Road 4, and now the Michelin Road 5. I will most definitely ride on wet pavement more than gravel, so a wet pavement tire like these Michelins is appealing.

So, hopefully without receiving too much criticism for posting a tire thread, which tires are most popular for a Versys 1000 ridden almost exclusively on paved roads, some (little) gravel, and the occasional rain that we can never seem to totally avoid?

TIA!!

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 03-18-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

MY two V 650s ride on Shinko E705 (ADV) tires. They work PDG in ALL the conditions you've mentioned.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Pr 3 pr 4

I have run both tires, absolutely love the Michelin PR tires, the original Dunlop on the 07 had absolutely no grip compared to the PR 3, the Dunlop on the 2015 were much better but very poor tread wear, I have PR 4 on the rear, average mileage on the rear is around 11,000 to 13,000 KM providing I don't get drywall screws in the tread, don't purposely ride to drag the pegs , but it happens.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...michelin+tires

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 AM

Garage
Started with PR-3's on the V-650. Then 2 sets of PR-4GT's on the FJR and now have a set of the Road 5's sitting in the garage for the past few weeks waiting till i scrap the stock tires on the V-1000. I'm a Michelin Guy and it would have to be something special for me to go with another brand...

5's by weljo2001, on Flickr
trialsguy and Shibumik like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Always a bridgestone lover here...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have run both tires, absolutely love the Michelin PR tires, the original Dunlop on the 07 had absolutely no grip compared to the PR 3, the Dunlop on the 2015 were much better but very poor tread wear, I have PR 4 on the rear, average mileage on the rear is around 11,000 to 13,000 KM providing I don't get drywall screws in the tread, don't purposely ride to drag the pegs , but it happens.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...michelin+tires
Thanks Glenn. Thanks for the link too. I'm leaning towards the Michelin Road 5, although I am also considering the Metzeler Roadtec 01.

Paul
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 AM

Garage
Hey Paul,
Facing the same decision here. Looking strongly at the Michelin road 5, love the upgrades they have made to these. I recently been drawn to the Metzeler Sporttec M7RR. Truly, lots of choices.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Glenn - Pete's Superbikes has 'em in stock.

Paul
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
Hey Paul,
Facing the same decision here. Looking strongly at the Michelin road 5, love the upgrades they have made to these. I recently been drawn to the Metzeler Sporttec M7RR. Truly, lots of choices.
Hi Andy - yes, the choices seem to be endless. And great arguments can be made for Metzeler, Michelin, Shinko, Bridgestone, Dunlop and so on. I've narrowed it done to the Michelin Road 5 or the Metzeler Roadtec 01. Going to do a bit more research, but I'm leaning towards the Michelin.

The Metzeler Sporttec M7RR has very good reviews. However, the "RR" scares me off a little bit as road racing is no longer this old guy's style of riding.

Since the Versys is considered an Adventure bike, what's holding me back is whether I'd like to go with 90/10 or 80/20 tires to allow for gravel roads. Or go with the Michelin and just suck it up for the few gravel roads I hit.

Paul

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 02-28-2018 at 09:44 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy View Post
Hi Andy - yes, the choices seem to be endless. And great arguments can be made for Metzeler, Michelin, Shinko, Bridgestone, Dunlop and so on. I've narrowed it done to the Michelin Road 5 or the Metzeler Roadtec 01. Going to do a bit more research, but I'm leaning towards the Michelin.

Or go with the Michelin and just suck it up for the few gravel roads I hit.

I took the Michelins off road and the only hairy times were in really deep sand. Heres going on a crappy road on the PR 4's....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Since the Versys is considered an Adventure bike, what's holding me back is whether I'd like to go with 90/10 or 80/20 tires to allow for gravel roads. Or go with the Michelin and just suck it up for the few gravel roads I hit.
The Shinko E705s have worked VERY well for me, on wet-or-dry pavement, as well as dirt roads, and they handle quite well (on BOTH my Vs) IMHO!

-
AngryGazebo likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I took the Michelins off road and the only hairy times were in really deep sand. Heres going on a crappy road on the PR 4's....https://youtu.be/j8iWRIkFFtQ
That was very helpful. Thanks for the post.

Paul
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
That was very helpful. Thanks for the post.

PR3's on the V-650...Skip to 9:30 of the video...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
PR3's on the V-650...Skip to 9:30 of the video...https://youtu.be/O3qQssnwyXU
Again, very helpful. So it appears that your experience is the Michelin Pilots are suitable for limited off road/gravel road. That's great to know, as I'm really leaning towards the new Road 5.

As I said in my original post, I don't do very much gravel road riding. (Maybe because I've been on a Gold Wing all these years). But I want to make sure I DO NOT buy a tire for my Versys 1000 that totally excludes any gravel road riding at all. 'Cause when travelling through the countryside I often see a gravel road that looks pretty nice. And when I take these gravel roads (in the car), I'm usually quite pleased by rustic farmhouses, beautiful fields, animals grazing in pastures, etc.

Thanks Weljo, much appreciated!!
weljo2001 likes this.

Paul

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 02-28-2018 at 02:26 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Again, very helpful. So it appears that your experience is the Michelin Pilots are suitable for limited off road/gravel road. That's great to know, as I'm really leaning towards the new Road 5.

As I said in my original post, I don't do very much gravel road riding. (Maybe because I've been on a Gold Wing all these years). But I want to make sure I DO NOT buy a tire for my Versys 1000 that totally excludes any gravel road riding at all. 'Cause when travelling through the countryside I often see a gravel road that looks pretty nice. And when I take these gravel roads (in the car), I'm usually quite pleased by rustic farmhouses, beautiful fields, animals grazing in pastures, etc.

Thanks Weljo, much appreciated!!
Sounds like you may want something like a 95/5 tire, eg. Pirelli Scorpion or Metzeler tourance next

You can ride a dirt or gravel road on any tire, even a slick, just like you can drive in the snow without snow tires, yolu just have to go slower because braking and traction will not be as good. On the other hand snow tires are noisy and wear quickly on pavement, everythings a trade off with tires.
CuddyBuddy likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-28-2018 at 09:33 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You can ride a dirt or gravel road on any tire
Thanks twowheels. After listening to the great input from everybody, I've ordered the new Michelin Road 5 tires. Are they the best? Might not ever know for sure. But don't think I can go wrong.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Paul

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 03-02-2018 at 11:00 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks twowheels. After listening to the great input from everybody, I've ordered the new Michelin Road 5 tires. Are they the best? Might not ever know for sure. But don't think I can go wrong.

Thanks everybody for your help.
Rode home from the shop yesterday with my new Michelin Road 5's. +2 degrees C, so just went straight home and parked 'er. The tires felt good, but any brand new tire feels good. Given the weather and the road condition, did not put them to the test.

Paul

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 03-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Rode home from the shop yesterday with my New Michelin Road 5's. +2 degrees C, so just went straight home and parked 'er. The tires felt good, but any brand new tire feels good. Given the weather and the road condition, did not put them to the test.
... and you may want to scrub them in for a hundred miles or so, before pushing them hard.

My Road 5's are in, and are being put on my rims this week (at the dealer)...
CuddyBuddy likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Garage

CuddyBuddy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode