How Important is my Windshield Flare? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
How Important is my Windshield Flare?

The V1000 that I purchased last month does not have an OEM windshield. Not sure who it's made by. It flares out at the bottom, as can be seen in the attached pictures.

After installing Barkbuster Storm handguards, I now can no longer turn the wheel all the way left or right. The handguard makes contact with the flared part of the windshield. I can't turn the wheel all the way left to lock it. And I can't make really tight turns in either direction.

I think the solution is to trim some or all of this flared section off. The flared part measures 6.5" high x 2" wide. I could cut the top 2.5" of the flare off (leaving a 4" flare). Or I could cut the entire flare off. I'm inclined to think cutting 2.5" is the safest choice.

I was hoping to hear from anybody familiar with windshield design about the pros and cons of cutting 2.5" off or removing the entire 6.5" flare.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asdfggg.jpg (23.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg dfgjjj.jpg (30.9 KB, 78 views)

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
First - FWIW, I lived in Brighton while serving at CFB Trenton in '72 to early '74. Still LOVE the area!

I've modded a few windshields for my Vs. Suggest you put tape (I used duct-tape) on BOTH sides before cutting, mark w/ a felt-tip marker, then cut w/ a jig-saw. Can't remember whether I used HIGH or LOW speed, but you'll figure it out PDQ!

Then I took a file to smooth the cut-edge, followed by sandpaper. Here's a few pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V'shield1 copy.jpg (30.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg V'shield2 copy.jpg (30.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg V'shield3 copy.jpg (40.0 KB, 43 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Eddie. Fortunately a friend of a friend owns an acrylic business. He has cut a few of our motorcycle windshields, so he'll be doing the job. Properly.

We've only been in Brighton for a year, but we certainly like the town. And the area. Probably hasn't changed a whole heck of a lot since the 70's.

I used to live in BC and spent a lot of time (work-related) in Kelowna. Pretty darned nice there too. In fact, this summer I rode out west, and spent a lot of time riding in BC (family in the Lower Mainland). Always a spectacular place for motorcycling.

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode