Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Multistrada 1200 - Wow....

6K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  grasshoppah 
#1 ·
Test rode one again today at lunch and damn that's a sweet bike!
Other than being expensive - what's the catch?

#6 ·
there's a "catch" when the price is too good to be true. that price ain't too good! so afaik, there's no catch. there are only two questions: do you have the stomach to suck up the cost of admission? do you love it enough to bear the cost of maintenance, which is getting less and less painful, or so they say.

[channeling Mr Wales]

well? do ya, punk? :devil:

#8 ·
I like them too. There are a ton of new advances with the new model. Water cooling, electronics, ergos, accessories. They are great bikes no doubt.

The previous iteration was a pretty good bike as well. There was even a 650 for awhile. I understand the air cooled motors did require more frequent maintenance, valve check/adjust, etc. However an older model can be had for about the price of a Versys. ;)

The new 1200 is about the same weight as a Verys, with probaby twice the horsepower. I do like the 4-mode ECU, very cool. I really like Ducs but have never owned one. I call them motorcycle exotica.

I could see myself riding one but would have to sell some other toys. I also really like the F800GS. 'Strada more street, bimmer more dirt worthy, neither a dual sport. Unfortunately both are at least twice the cost of a Versys, and for a used one, maybe more than three times. Hmmm. Are they two to three times the bike? I dunno. If you got the $$ ride what makes you happy. They aren't any more than a harley, right?

#11 ·

OMG!!!! I am in LUST!!!!!!!

#20 ·
Ducati Desmosidichi Moto GP $75,000 OIL BURNER..

So I am having a blast on my favorite set of twisty roads and pull over to take a rest , and a guy pulls up and he's on a Ducati V-4 Desmocedici...We talk a little and I notice an oil leak on his engine... I don't tell him anything..But he tells me his Ducati cost $75,000 ...He also asked me what kind of bike am I rideing and I say it's a Versys... He says A WHAT?????:confused:

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
You know.... I think of this from time to time, to keep me motivated. With all the squids having a blast on their Fireblade (bought on credit), while I'm studying every Friday night.

I'll be able to afford whichever bike I want, fairly soon (outside of a Desmo...a waste...). And, with "junior" surgeons working 80+ hrs/week as a norm - squeezing every ounce of enjoyment will be necessary from limited riding time.

Would I want a Multistada? No.
And, here's my reasoning:
I bought the Versys as an all-'rounder. The Multi serves the same purpose, but with better features across the board. True.
Do I need those features, or just want them? I think.... just want.
- the Versys goes everywhere and does the same things, without the features
- I can't see what's written on the tank when I'm riding
- the better features won't make me a better rider
Since I don't NEED them, why do I want them? For myself, or to brag about it?
- do I want to depend on praise/jealousy from others to keep me happy?
What do I automatically think when I see a guy on a Ducati?
- that he's a snob, and I could ride it better (though I can't)
- he would think the exact same about me
Pushing the bike to it's limits so I NEED the features, would I be satisfied?
- maybe
- I can't ride that that well, anyway
- I certainly don't want to learn to ride that well on a Ducati
- I'd only end up babying it

The Duc is an awesome machine. As is the Versys, if you take the branding out of consideration.
I think we all agree on that. We all absolutely LOVE our bikes.
So, let's disregard the sticker on the tank:
The Versys is just as "foreign" as the Duc. No one I meet knows what it is.
They both have complicated motors. They both have interesting frames and cool swingarms. They're both upright but sporty.
But, they are what they are.
I can't jump it. Too expensive to bash it through the treeline. Too heavy to pick through a technical trials course. Gravel and dirt roads are reasonable... but not incredibly rewarding (for ME).
Other people have different experiences/opinions. Personally, I LOVE the bike, and as such, I find myself babying it. I think that's what I'm tired of.

So, given the choice - when I could afford whichever consumer item I could choose... I'd rather have mid-level motorcycles, reasonably suited for particular purposes that don't require babying. Things that I could ride the p!ss out of, becoming a better rider in the process.

Given the choice, I'd rather have multiple bikes at the same cost.... a cheap tank of a two-stroke for adventures, a comfortable tourer, and a little cafe'd b!tch of a street machine for "those days". The tourer taking up the bulk of the initial cost. The cafe fulfilling my need to turn things with wrenches and smell like fork oil.

And.... after all of that..... years later, as a grumpy old neckbeard..... I think I'll come back to my spunky ol' Versys.
Maybe there'll be better aftermarket parts by then. Lol.

That's my opinion. Not a lot of point in talking about it. But, I guess that's what the forum discussion thing is for.

#31 · (Edited)
Here's the thing - I really don't care about the Ducati name, nor the fancy electronics. It's just the best thing I've ever test-ridden so far.
I LOVE the engine and the ergonomics, and how it handles. It's basically a Versys - but more comfortable and twice the power.
Is there anything else with the same power and comfort as a Ducati Multistrada 1200 out there that's cheaper?

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Something sturdy that I can commute with year-round - no matter what weather
- Something more powerful/faster than the Versys - maybe 130 HP or more
- I'll stay on paved roads for 99.9999% of the time, so off-road capabilities are not needed.
- Upright riding position
- Not ugly

Bikes I've already tried and didn't like: Kaw Z1000, Duc Hypermotard, BMW1200 GS

What would you guys recommend?

#32 ·
How about the 2011 Ninja 1000?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/8300/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-First-Ride.aspx

Or the 2011 Honda CB1000R?
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2011models/2011-Honda-CB1000R.htm

I saw both bikes today at the International Motorcyle show in San Mateo. They are a bit small for me - I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam, but both bikes are interesting and would meet your needs for more horsepower.

I test rode the Multi 1200 and it was very nice. I also test rode a 2010 BMW GS 1200 - also very nice - a bit more smooth but slightly less power. Both bikes are just pricey enough to keep me from buying one.

#38 ·
I too took advantage of a recent Ducati Demo Day and can't seem to get the new Multistrada out of my head also. The fun factor for that ride is awesome.

However, it is nearly a complete redesign fresh off the CADs. The complexity of the machine gives some very nice features - when they work. Fumbling around on some related forums gives me the impression that the low serial #s are definitely worth avoiding at this point. Seems that your Wife's need for a replacement car is providential.

For the moment, I will continue to wait until Bologna works out some the electronic issues owners are experiencing. Regardless of warranty coverage, nothing would piss me off more than to drop that kinda dough on something that would leave me stranded.

Got nothing to lose since I'm loving my Versys every ride. . . and wouldn't hesitate to take her across the continent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.