Air Hawk Seat Cushions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Question Air Hawk Seat Cushions

First I want to thank who ever it was that suggested bicycle shorts to help with the monkey butt problem. I wore them Sunday on a trip around the moutains. Cherahoya down to deals gap and up the dragons tail. Then back home in tennssee. The whole trip was about 180 miles round trip. I did good or I should say my butt did good until the last 20 or so miles. While at a bike stop at the bottom of the dragons tail on the NC. side I was talking to another biker and he had an AIRHAWK SEAT CUSHION on his bike that he bought at daytona bike week off of a vendor. He said he loves it and rode his bike up from FL. . They have a web site and the cost is around $146.00 dollars. Way cheaper than a totaly new seat. And I was wondering if anyone has tried or knows someone who has tried this product before. And if so how did they feel about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 PM

I use AH, have done for 4-5 years on various bikes. I've put over 40k miles on over that time and now use it on the Versys on extended trips. I highly recommend it, I also use it with a bit of dead sheep when the weather is hot. It adds about 1" to the seat, so if you are struggling with the high V seat-this may not be the answer. BUT, with AH, you just shift one cheek and the pressure points shifts. I've done over 700miles in one day, but 400-500, a more normal long day, is no problem.

This isn't a very good pic, but shows AH and dead sheep. Much better than an expensive custom seat in my view, 'coz you can switch it from bike to bike.

Machog
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:39 PM

Funny you mention the AH. Today I only had to ride about 200 miles and that is no test yet, considering, but, even though I'm on a road trip, I can easily modify the inside of my seat since I replaced the front part of the seat cover with Velcro and took out all the staples.

In my luggage I carry an air pillow for sleeping. So I decided to take out the memory foam from my seat and put in the air pillow. It was easy to adjust the air to where it felt best. Anyway, it sure felt good today. The real test is when I return home and will be putting on high mileage days again. So it is like an AH but only inside the seat.

I left the air valve protruding out the side of the seat so I could adjust the air pressure on the fly.

Sheepskine covers feel good for a while for me and then after a few hours I don't like them. Go figure.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Machog. If I could ask what size of cushion do you use?

Last edited by JERRYES; 08-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
I left the air valve protruding out the side of the seat so I could adjust the air pressure on the fly.

I'm having a vision of having to blow up the seat with my head resting on the tank! That would be a sight!

Ed
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 PM

I love a sense of humor.

As the cushion is, it has foam in it that compresses when rolled up then you close the air valve to keep it compact. To open, open the air valve to allow the foam to expand and the pillow sucks in air by itself. So as I ride I can take out air by opening the valve with my left hand and my sitting weight will let air out. To expand, open the valve and put my weight on the foot pegs. No "kissing" the seat.

Tomorrow I start my 1000 mile ride back home and I'll see how good it all works. The cushion only cost $20 and I like the way it not only works so far, but how it widened the seat in back and at the middle. I feel much better supported even though I only weigh 140.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 PM

I'm interested in this but I'm a bit worried about making the bike taller as I have a less than 30 inseam to begin with. I'm already having to support the bike kind of funny, but man would I love a little more support in the seat on long trips. Right now I've got a sheep skin cover, and although it does help quite a bit more than the stock seat, I still get off sore after a while (don't mind the fact that I shattered my hips and back a few years ago).

How much taller do you think it makes the seat?
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=
How much taller do you think it makes the seat?[/QUOTE]

Machog said it raised it about an inch. When I put the cushion in (not on top) of my seat, I shaved off the cushion that was already in my seat a bit so the cushion really added nothing.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Machog said it raised it about an inch. When I put the cushion in (not on top) of my seat, I shaved off the cushion that was already in my seat a bit so the cushion really added nothing.
Thanks for the info

Would have helped if I would have read Machog's post again huh? And my wife thinks she's the only one I don't pay attention to .
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:42 AM

I also use an AH pad (medium cruiser size fits very nicely) with a Sheepy Hollow sheepskin cover. It helps with the comfort level over a longer haul and also eliminates some of the forward sloping problems. Your butt on the back of the pad pushes air to the front of the pad.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 01:52 PM

I use the large-but I had it on my Valkyrie first. It fits the V perfectly, but I suspect medium or large are equally good. Would stay away from the small.

Machog
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 PM

I got out of this company later than expected but I was able to log on 400 miles today on my $20 air pillow that I put in my seat. Even though it barely has any air in it because that's how it feels best, I was AMAZED at how comfortable it was. I had no desire to get off the seat at all.

Tomorrow I have just a bit over 600 miles to do and if it still fills great, I'll take pics of what I did and use.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM

atgatt:

Any pictures of your Custom Air Cushioned Seat??? Need to do something to Save my Ass!!, I'm over 50, and after riding to work (45 miles RT) my butt starts hurting on day 3 plus my back gets sore. I already have a lowering kit (Vertically Challenged) so I really don't want to raise my sitting position if I can help it.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks everyone for the great info. Will wait to see pic. from atgatt and see. If not I think I will try the AH seat. Really like the good info. THANKS
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 AM

Well, after doing the 1100 mile trip back (at least 700 of it yesterday), I can say without a doubt, that air cushion made a BIG difference. Riding there with my new memory foam after several hours, hurt. Then I put on one of those seat wooden bead covers. Felt good for a few hours and then felt like I was sitting on bricks. Way too hard. Then I slipped in my air pillow, and what a difference!

I've done many long trips on the stock seat and I hurt. Then I reshaped it; helped but still hurt. Then I've tried various foams; better but still hurt. But this particular thin air pillow left my behind never once hurting. Anyone on even a good seat will get tired of sitting when riding 10-14 hours straight day after day with just an occasional stretch, but what I personally want to avoid is, pain.

In another post I bought some bicycle padded pants to try. I can see that for me they don't work. Not enough "breathing room". My regular boxer shorts and that air cushion was much better.

The "trick" is to let the air valve stick out the seat so you can adjust it as you ride or at a stop. What I found that works best is just barely enough air to float you. Too much air makes the cushion "pillow" on your balls, the path of least resistance, but just barely any air just gives an equal push all over.

Anyway, for those that are interested in this thread, I'll try to get some pics later today. The pad does not raise the seat, because I took some of the stock foam out, but it did widen the seat a bit which helps.

Oh, if your looking for a great looking seat vs a comfortable seat, then you won't want to do what I did, but the seat looks good enough for me.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:35 PM

Here are a few pics of the seat. When I get a finer grit, I'm go to grind the seat much smoother.

The air pillow is from Pacific Outdoor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00226.jpg (112.8 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00227.jpg (122.0 KB, 880 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00228.jpg (125.7 KB, 861 views)
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Here's pic of the Velcro on seat after taking staples out. Makes working on seat MUCH easier.

It shows the air valve sticking out which is barely visible when the seat is on.

The small bump in front will be taken out soon when I redo my bottom foam.

With the air cushion, the seat is not as narrow in front which gives more support under the legs when riding.

Here's the air pillow I got from REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/751097?pr...:referralID=NA

What I like about this air pillow compared to a few others I tried is that even with the inner expanding foam in it, it compacts very thin making it still comfortable with barely any air, whereas the others don't get that thin even compressed.

Anyway, it sure works good for me and I just thought I'd share it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00225.jpg (78.6 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00229.jpg (128.6 KB, 773 views)
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM

If like me you don't want to try and do this yourself you might be be able to get your seat redone by this site:

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Here's pic of the Velcro on seat after taking staples out. Makes working on seat MUCH easier.

It shows the air valve sticking out which is barely visible when the seat is on.

The small bump in front will be taken out soon when I redo my bottom foam.

With the air cushion, the seat is not as narrow in front which gives more support under the legs when riding.

Here's the air pillow I got from REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/751097?pr...:referralID=NA

What I like about this air pillow compared to a few others I tried is that even with the inner expanding foam in it, it compacts very thin making it still comfortable with barely any air, whereas the others don't get that thin even compressed.

Anyway, it sure works good for me and I just thought I'd share it.
Genius! I'm adding velcro to mine and buying a pillow from REI if I need to do any more modifications!
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Yeah, air pillow under the seat... great idea! I might steal this from you, as now I just have some foam padding built up under the sheepskin, and it helps but it's not the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode