Laptop Carrying Options... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Laptop Carrying Options...

I need to carry a laptop to work everday. Are backpacks my only option? I'm riding around 90 miles a day and a backpack gets a little heavy after 30 minutes or so. Has anyone found a tailbag that will hold a laptop and not cost an arm and a leg? I like the looks of the Axio but it doesn't look big enough.

VAVersys
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1977 MGB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 PM

i have one of those spiderweb bungie cords. i just bungie it on the back seat. Before my Versys, i did the same on my ACE. No problems with the laptop.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 AM

Beware of pressure on the lid

When you strap the laptop to the seat using bungies, you need to be careful not to apply any pressure to the lid. For example if you are like me and carry network cables, mouse, air card, usb cables, thumb drive, power supply, a dvd or two, and assorted papers, strapping the laptop to the seat can put excess pressure on the lid.

Apple started the latest the thin is in laptop design. The lids on newer machines are not as robust as they once were. In my case I was strapping the pc to the back seat with bungies. No problem holding it there securely, however after a while I started getting marks on the monitor from contact with the keyboard. Eventually, grey spots started to appear in areas where there was excessive friction.

The weight of the stuff in my bag and the force of the bungies put pressure on the lid and caused it to flex.

The monitor was replaced under warranty, fortunatley.

I looked very closely at the AXIO. Love the design and concept. Nearly pulled the handle until I noticed the size was a little small for my needs.

Also tried to order the Cortech Sport Bag, unfortunately no one had stock. It looked about the right size, and had lots of favourable coments.

In a bike shop a month or back found a used cruiser sissy bar pack shaped like a small duffle. Perfect size and has four d-rings in the right spot. I've taken to strapping this to the seat, and all appears well.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAVersys View Post
I need to carry a laptop to work everday. Are backpacks my only option? I'm riding around 90 miles a day and a backpack gets a little heavy after 30 minutes or so. Has anyone found a tailbag that will hold a laptop and not cost an arm and a leg? I like the looks of the Axio but it doesn't look big enough.

VAVersys
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1977 MGB
Mine fits nicely in the givi/kawi saddlebag. Course its not a widescreen. Mabey if i loosly strap it to the seat and it falls off..........?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 02:04 PM

I have the Givi E52 and I just throw my backpack w/ laptop in and off I go...even throw in a pair of shoes to change into at work.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Let me show you how it is done right. Keep in mind this is my wife's apple computer. That's why it's pink.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 PM

It's ok to like pink.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM

That's a nice setup golfmuch - could you comment on what the case is and how it's mounted?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Its a pelican 1450. Mounts straight to the SW motech (kawasaki brand) top rack. Mounted My givi plate first. Then I took that off and used the same holes for the Pelican box. Box came with the foam. Middle two layer have pinch squares to form your own needs. When I dont have the computer I take the 2 middle layers out and the lid foam and use it for what ever. If we go out of town I put the Givi box back on.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks - that's a nice solution for a laptop.

Everyone's worried about applying pressure to the screen but my primary concern with a laptop is damage from vibration and stabilizing the temperature of the unit somewhat while it's outside.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM

Using the spider web bungee, I don't tighten down that much. It will slide, but no more than a couple of inches. So i don't think i have the chance to damage the screen. Also as far as temperature concerns. I ride everyday, with posted temps at 100-103, but if your driving in your car, the gauge reads 110. It is carried in a regular laptop bag, with the big shoulder strap. Seven years and two different laptops, no problems yet.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that's a pink laptop! I like the looks of the Cortech Sport. I've seen it at a couple of places like Twisted Throttle and Competition Accessories for around $60. I've even seen it on ebay but the price is about the same.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 PM

I commute 72 miles round trip and carry a backpack cooler with the lunch in it. My opinion on the bungee option is that if you were to rear end someone, hopefully you won't, but if you would, that laptop is going to break your back by becoming a projectile. I only look at things like that as a safety concern for myself and figured I would just pass it on for something to think about. My trip takes me around 45 minutes one way. I understand what you mean by it will get heavy. I would suggest though, a backpack if you don't won't to spend money for the different mounting systems. I don't know what your laptop weighs, but I have found that loosening my shoulder straps a bit help ease the pressure and makes it a little more comfortable. I work 12 hr shifts and normally pack for 2 meals and some snacks along with a couple bottles of water and soda. My back pack normally weighs btwn 5-10 lbs. I loosen the straps and let it ride on the upper part of the seat behind me when it becomes uncomfortable. It seems to work for me. That's just what I think. Loosening the backpack is probably not that safe either because of the possibility of shifting weight. That hasn't happened yet, hopefully it won't either.

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Wow, golfmuch, that's a nice rig you've got there. What are all those electronics up front on the bars? I assume the antennas are for CB radio?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:03 PM

Is the Pelican case quickly removable? Or do you take the laptop out to carry it to wherever?

Are these Pelican cases specific for motorcycles? Or are they just popular durable cases that everyone adapts to fit?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:39 PM

We run J&M cb radios. ZUMO gps. Xm Radios, MP3. The box is used for nic nacs mostly. The foam comes out when you dont need it. I have redone the cb antenna's. Cant seem to leave well enough alone.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:05 PM

Regarding vibrations, haven't had any issues and the same pc has been riding on the saddle for the past two years every sunny day throughout the spring, fall, and sumer. The only issue has been from monitor fricton burns.

Golfmuch, you've got one sweet looking ride.

TC

Last edited by toocanad; 08-15-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode