New Jacket for California - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New Jacket for California

We are moving to the Bay Area in a few weeks. I just bought a Versys after a 5 year break of riding for my commute to work once we get there. My delima is determining which jacket to buy. I've worn a full leather jacket in the past, and am eye balling the joe rocket sonic 2.0 perforated leather jacket. However, I'm not familiar with the airflow through this jacket and am a bit nervous on how warm it may get, as temps can be pretty high in California. I'll be a daily commuter in heavy traffic, though able to squeeze through traffic via lane sharing at a safe speed.

I also see the joe rocket alter ego 3, which breaks down all the way into a mesh jacket. Seems like a good option to have on hot days. Always owning leather jackets, I'm a bit hesitant on a mesh.

Anyone have any input on this perforated leather on breathability in summer conditions?

I'm limited on the brands and types of jackets, as I need a tall size. Joe rocket and cortech seem to have some decent jackets in tall.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGreens View Post
We are moving to the Bay Area in a few weeks. I just bought a Versys after a 5 year break of riding for my commute to work once we get there. My delima is determining which jacket to buy. I've worn a full leather jacket in the past, and am eye balling the joe rocket sonic 2.0 perforated leather jacket. However, I'm not familiar with the airflow through this jacket and am a bit nervous on how warm it may get, as temps can be pretty high in California. I'll be a daily commuter in heavy traffic, though able to squeeze through traffic via lane sharing at a safe speed.

I also see the joe rocket alter ego 3, which breaks down all the way into a mesh jacket. Seems like a good option to have on hot days. Always owning leather jackets, I'm a bit hesitant on a mesh.

Anyone have any input on this perforated leather on breathability in summer conditions?

I'm limited on the brands and types of jackets, as I need a tall size. Joe rocket and cortech seem to have some decent jackets in tall.

Thanks in advance.
Wait until you get there. CA has strange seasons for North (bay area) - cool and South (LA) - warm. Perforated jackets are hit and miss on local region's weather and intended use of jacket. It requires a lot of information that is not easily offered by manufacturers. Joe Rocket and tall sizes are the way to go.

My only non-Joe Rocket leather "good deal" jacket is not a tall size, and I wish it was: but the cold season in LA is only about a month a year anyway... And Joe Rocket fits big, so go through the hassle to find out correct size (many leather jackets are for very small people.) I tried out 2 Joe Rocket perforated jackets and posted summaries on this site. Good luck in CA and hold on to your wallet!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Wait until you get there. CA has strange seasons for North (bay area) - cool and South (LA) - warm. Perforated jackets are hit and miss on local region's weather and intended use of jacket. It requires a lot of information that is not easily offered by manufacturers. Joe Rocket and tall sizes are the way to go.

My only non-Joe Rocket leather "good deal" jacket is not a tall size, and I wish it was: but the cold season in LA is only about a month a year anyway... And Joe Rocket fits big, so go through the hassle to find out correct size (many leather jackets are for very small people.) I tried out 2 Joe Rocket perforated jackets and posted summaries on this site. Good luck in CA and hold on to your wallet!
Looks like historically, the average weather up where I'll be in 70s and 80's. Sounds pretty good for a leather jacket. A couple of months it will get into the 90s and low 100s, but by that point if I really must get something lighter, I could always buy an additional mesh jacket. I'll look for your reviews now. Thanks!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGreens View Post
Looks like historically, the average weather up where I'll be in 70s and 80's. Sounds pretty good for a leather jacket. A couple of months it will get into the 90s and low 100s, but by that point if I really must get something lighter, I could always buy an additional mesh jacket. I'll look for your reviews now. Thanks!
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...er-jacket.html
My $350 perforated Nice leather jacket.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...4150-nice.html
My $149.99 Cold leather Jacket I WISH was a Tall Jacket.

Note: My Joe Rocket (Kawasaki) mesh and (Airborne Ranger) textile Jacket only cost $50 and $67 so not bad for Hot Summer Dog Days or breathable rain proof protection with 3M spray from Home Depot (on sale jackets of course.)

I got one perforated leather jacket at first (first link above), was discouraged, and then got the second from a local shop (Motor Helmets) that is my favorite jacket now (except a couple months of the year): where I'm at now anyway. I try to document anything I buy that there is no information about, and motorcycle gear is terrible about lack of information on the web. Buying leather gear is a hassle you don't want to do often. The unspoken rule is, "If you ride with it while Wearing it, you Just Bought it!"

Last edited by kawdog; 01-01-2016 at 08:55 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:19 AM

I have 4 leather jackets and I used to commute with them; Used to. Textile jackets are so much lighter, much more comfortable and dry faster. I've yet to find a leather jacket that is a true 3 season jacket, but I've rode in very cold weather with a mesh jacket with the waterproof liner and a thermal jacket underneath. Needless to say; I haven't worn my leather jackets in a long time :S

For commuting I mostly use two textile jackets:
- Autumn/Winter - waterproof jacket; thermal liner or not depending on temperature.
- Spring/Summer - mesh jacket with removable waterproof liner.

There are mesh jackets that do have two liners, waterproof and thermal, those could be said to be true 3 season jackets; but I think they become too bulky with three liners, so I stick with single liner jackets.

IMHO, leather is safer, but at commuting speeds it won't make up that much of a difference. I do wear leather on spirited rides or trackdays, I'll never trust textile for that. Leather also crashes better and lasts longer, but if you shop around you might find very good deals on textile.

To me the advantages of textiles come from:
- Light.
- Comfier as they are way thinner and more flexible than leather.
- Commuting you're going to get caught by rain - leather jackets will take days to dry. Textile jackets will dry overnight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode